The Student Room Group

Anyone who studies Biochem at University of Nottingham?

I’m joining September 24th to study Biochemistry & Genetics at Nottingham. I just wanted to ask anyone who studies the course what is entailed within “core skills in biochemistry” as it seems quite vague and I would also like to read in advance and get a good understanding of the topics before I start.
Original post by georgelagalle
I’m joining September 24th to study Biochemistry & Genetics at Nottingham. I just wanted to ask anyone who studies the course what is entailed within “core skills in biochemistry” as it seems quite vague and I would also like to read in advance and get a good understanding of the topics before I start.

It sounds like some basic maths stuff along with lab stuff. I wouldn't worry about reading before you start as you will have enough time for it later.
Original post by alleycat393
It sounds like some basic maths stuff along with lab stuff. I wouldn't worry about reading before you start as you will have enough time for it later.
ok thanks 👍
Hey! Do you still study Biochem at UoN? If so can I message you a few Q’s about the course
please? Thanks!
Original post by studentbioch3m
Hey! Do you still study Biochem at UoN? If so can I message you a few Q’s about the course
please? Thanks!

Hi, yes I do. Of course you can
Original post by thebiochemguy
Hi, yes I do. Of course you can

Thank you! Do you have a rough overview on the method of assessments? Like are there many practicals / coursework or is it all exam based? Also how many hours a week are spent in lectures and labs? Thank you!
Original post by studentbioch3m
Thank you! Do you have a rough overview on the method of assessments? Like are there many practicals / coursework or is it all exam based? Also how many hours a week are spent in lectures and labs? Thank you!

Hi, the method of assessment varies depending on the modules you choose. Generally most of the assessments are online exams that consist of a variety of questions such as multiple choice, labelling diagrams and filling in blanks to complete paragraphs. There are quite a few practicals associated with the modules where after each of the practicals you will be given a window to complete an online exam, this is used to test your understanding of the concepts of the practical. You will have to complete coursework and lab reports as well, though they are generally for the second semester. For contact hours, it does depend and may have changed since I was in first year. For me, We would have days lasting from 9-6 where you would probably have ~10 hours of labs per week. Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else you need :smile:
Reply 7
hi - what accom did u have for first year, i cant tell if i can get accom on university park or if im meant to go to sutton bonnington. also did u enjoy the course? and what are ur future plans

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending