The Student Room Group

Got CCU on results day!

Hi all I just wanted to give a background on my story.
2020 I was downgraded and got CCU for alevels, despite getting A in my mock and having a doctor’s note of illness for my unusual exam performance (B and D). Still out of all my classmates, I was the only one to get much lower than my mocks, (should of at least been ABD) even though I had a valid reason.

Obviously this was tactical, downgrading me allowed grade inflation for privileged students, some got A*A*A* despite not obtaining it in the mocks. I tried to appeal but the school was very unsupportive, the teacher who downgraded me left to avoid confrontation (she knew she was at fault). They blamed my absence and illness and said even though I got As in the mocks, I would of got more sick as the year progressed and probably wouldn’t of done the exam hence my U grade?! Very stupid, since I never got a U in my life.

Anyways loosing my place at a Russel group university, and feeling helpless, I felt lost. My older brother and I frantically called for clearing but no one would accept me with those grades, only Coventry or dmu for courses like fashion (not related to my scientific aspirations). My only option was to redo the year at my toxic school. I fell into depression, wouldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, saw all my mates pack for university and live life. Luckily I stumbled on a foundation year which is an individual 1 year that gives you qualification to enroll into your course, with timetables being easier than a hectic sixth form one/collage one. So I enrolled, still feeling empty, but grateful. It was much easier since I was a bright student, just misunderstood with bad luck. My new city was nice, although I made zero friends due to COVID and living at home with online schooling.

Things were getting better, I was enjoying the course, got my first job, got a little apartment and relaxed and chilled by the lovely city. Worked hard on interviews and cleared my mind, I needed to get 75% to pass the year.

Fast forward I passed with a 95% overall in my modules and unconditional offers to study at UCL, KCL, Bath and Nottingham, with admission tutors personally telling me I was one of the best interviews they’ve had this year. From getting rejected by all, to succeeding and getting a place into a competitive course (much better than the previous I had prior to results day, rejection really does equal redirection! I’m enjoying this career more!)

I’ve chosen to study at KCL and I will transfer there this September. Although I am a year late, I’m only older than you all by a couple of months and I’ve met others on my course who are my age and older so I don’t care anymore about the age aspect. I just wanted to remind anyone feeling nervous or receives bad news, there’s always hope! GOOD LUCK TO TOU ALL. Keep me updated I would love to know how it goes!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much for sharing your story, it really got me more motivated and inspired! All the best to you!
good, what course
also is the foundation year with a uni or college#
did you do a levels or something modular
Reply 3
Original post by taxonomy.
good, what course
also is the foundation year with a uni or college#
did you do a levels or something modular

Hi! I did alevels; biology, chemistry and psychology. The foundation course is with the actual university and part of the whole degree. So if your doing maths at university, your course would be the normal Maths (Bcs) with a added foundation year, the total would be 4 years. My course was competitive and for medicine and pharmacy you normally need over 75% in your foundation year to enrol into the first year next year. Good thing about that is that your place is more guaranteed and your already studying at the university and don’t need to interview. For degrees like chemistry, maths, nursing, you’d only need to get 60% to pass and go the next year straight away. Biggest bonus is that your not under the stupid AQA spec and the content at university is so much better and fun! I’m so glad I did this.
h

Original post by IdkIdk897
Hi! I did alevels; biology, chemistry and psychology. The foundation course is with the actual university and part of the whole degree. So if your doing maths at university, your course would be the normal Maths (Bcs) with a added foundation year, the total would be 4 years. My course was competitive and for medicine and pharmacy you normally need over 75% in your foundation year to enrol into the first year next year. Good thing about that is that your place is more guaranteed and your already studying at the university and don’t need to interview. For degrees like chemistry, maths, nursing, you’d only need to get 60% to pass and go the next year straight away. Biggest bonus is that your not under the stupid AQA spec and the content at university is so much better and fun! I’m so glad I did this.

hey you wouldnt have a direct number for any of the admissions tutors at nottingham? i really want to do law there but i currently only hold an offer for criminology and i really need some help. :frown:
2020 I was downgraded and got CCU for alevels, despite getting A in my mock and having a doctor’s note of illness for my unusual exam performance (B and D). Still out of all my classmates, I was the only one to get much lower than my mocks, (should of at least been ABD) even though I had a valid reason.

Obviously this was tactical, downgrading me allowed grade inflation for privileged students, some got A*A*A* despite not obtaining it in the mocks. I tried to appeal but the school was very unsupportive, the teacher who downgraded me left to avoid confrontation (she knew she was at fault). They blamed my absence and illness and said even though I got As in the mocks, I would of got more sick as the year progressed and probably wouldn’t of done the exam hence my U grade?! Very stupid, since I never got a U in my life.

Anyways loosing my place at a Russel group university, and feeling helpless, I felt lost. My older brother and I frantically called for clearing but no one would accept me with those grades, only Coventry or dmu for courses like fashion (not related to my scientific aspirations). My only option was to redo the year at my toxic school. I fell into depression, wouldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, saw all my mates pack for university and live life. Luckily I stumbled on a foundation year which is an individual 1 year that gives you qualification to enroll into your course, with timetables being easier than a hectic sixth form one/collage one. So I enrolled, still feeling empty, but grateful. It was much easier since I was a bright student, just misunderstood with bad luck. My new city was nice, although I made zero friends due to COVID and living at home with online schooling.

Things were getting better, I was enjoying the course, got my first job, got a little apartment and relaxed and chilled by the lovely city. Worked hard on interviews and cleared my mind, I needed to get 75% to pass the year.

Fast forward I passed with a 95% overall in my modules and 4 offers to study at UCL, KCL, Bath and Nottingham, with admission tutors personally telling me I was one of the best interviews they’ve had this year. From getting rejected by all, to succeeding and getting a place into a competitive course (much better than the previous I had prior to results day, rejection really does equal redirection! I’m enjoying this career more!)

I’ve chosen to study at KCL and I will transfer there this September. Although I am a year late, I’m only older than you all by a couple of months and I’ve met others on my course who are my age and older so I don’t care anymore about the age aspect. I just wanted to remind anyone feeling nervous or receives bad news, there’s always hope! GOOD LUCK TO TOU ALL. Keep me updated I would love to know how it goes!

ayy we on the same page i retook too and KCL is my firm.
Reply 6
Original post by mcvinod22
h

hey you wouldnt have a direct number for any of the admissions tutors at nottingham? i really want to do law there but i currently only hold an offer for criminology and i really need some help. :frown:

Hey I’m not sure but if you go on your course website, it’ll tell you the contact details of that department:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by hamzih.ata
ayy we on the same page i retook too and KCL is my firm.

Retook sixth form? That’s great, what course?!
Original post by mcvinod22
h

You need to ring the main clearing number for Nottingham - individual members of staff aren’t likely to be answering their usual phone numbers over results day (and even if they are they’ll transfer you)
Retook sixth form? That’s great, what course?!

biochem hopefully
i thought ucl didn’t accept foundation years ? and thank you for this post, just got cdd and i feel like crap lol, im gonna do a foundation year but im still heartbroken
Reply 11
Original post by kimjunmyeon
i thought ucl didn’t accept foundation years ? and thank you for this post, just got cdd and i feel like crap lol, im gonna do a foundation year but im still heartbroken

Same, I felt like that at the beginning, it gets better! Well done for getting in foundation courses, they still require certain criteria. UCL do accept foundation year, but it’s normally on a case by case basis. What do you intend to study and what university are you doing the foundation year in? Might be the same :smile: good luck!
hi did u email each uni that you went in a foundation year and then had a look on their website as im doing a foundation year and wanting to redo my a levels at the same Time
Same, I felt like that at the beginning, it gets better! Well done for getting in foundation courses, they still require certain criteria. UCL do accept foundation year, but it’s normally on a case by case basis. What do you intend to study and what university are you doing the foundation year in? Might be the same :smile: good luck!

What did you get for your results then?

Fast forward I passed with a 95% overall in my modules and unconditional offers to study at UCL, KCL, Bath and Nottingham, with admission tutors personally telling me I was one of the best interviews they’ve had this year. From getting rejected by all, to succeeding and getting a place into a competitive course (much better than the previous I had prior to results day, rejection really does equal redirection! I’m enjoying this career more!)

Your story is wonderful and thank you so much for taking the time to share it :hugs:
Reply 15

Congratulations! I’m in the same situation as you were in 2020 right now. I’ve always been a B Student however, I had tough problems this year and therefore my grades went down. I ended up getting a CCE in Bio Geo and Chem respectively. I don’t know how to resit year 13 as I don’t want to write the autumn exams(2021) and instead want to do the summer one(2022). I’m soo broken just as you were I don’t know what to do, could you please advice me
Reply 16

You are an inspiration - thank you for sharing - I really hope that other students who may not have achieved the way they had hoped read this and see that its never a closed door and that determination can get you further than you ever hoped - good luck in September and I hope you really really enjoy your time at KCL - superb story :smile:
Original post by penikaptel
hi did u email each uni that you went in a foundation year and then had a look on their website as im doing a foundation year and wanting to redo my a levels at the same Time

Yh normally look on their website
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mr T
You are an inspiration - thank you for sharing - I really hope that other students who may not have achieved the way they had hoped read this and see that its never a closed door and that determination can get you further than you ever hoped - good luck in September and I hope you really really enjoy your time at KCL - superb story :smile:

Yea there’s definitely hope!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by penikaptel

There’s no point in trying to do both at once. Either start a degree with foundation year or resit your A levels. If you try to do both then you’ll be putting yourself under extra stress for no additional benefit. You risk performing badly in both.

Quick Reply

Latest