The Student Room Group

BSc (Hons) Crime and Criminology Distance Learning Portsmouth

Any reviews on this course & reviews of distance learning with portsmouth would be very helpful?
I am also looking to do this degree in september of 2022, any reviews of this course would be helpful !
Original post by Lstudent1997
Any reviews on this course & reviews of distance learning with portsmouth would be very helpful?

Hi! @Lstudent1997

I'm currently studying for my masters in Intelligence and International Criminal Justice. I studied criminology with criminal justice as my undergrad at Portsmouth.

At Portsmouth, the academic support team are really helpful. There is a librarian and support staff for each subject and they too will help you with anything regarding your course and are really good if you are struggling with researching material that is all accessible on the university online library. Lecturers are enthusiastic about what they teach to help you develop. Most are also currently doing research related to their topic area, which is really useful. I've had a lot of support as well from my personal tutor too not just regarding work but my career path also. I know when I when I've been in a lecture that also supported distance learning students they accommodated this really well responding to these students.

The student wellbeing service is helpful and offers a wide range of guidance that can be accessed also online. Alongside this is the union which offer lots of guidance and experiences while at university.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @Lstudent1997

I'm currently studying for my masters in Intelligence and International Criminal Justice. I studied criminology with criminal justice as my undergrad at Portsmouth.

At Portsmouth, the academic support team are really helpful. There is a librarian and support staff for each subject and they too will help you with anything regarding your course and are really good if you are struggling with researching material that is all accessible on the university online library. Lecturers are enthusiastic about what they teach to help you develop. Most are also currently doing research related to their topic area, which is really useful. I've had a lot of support as well from my personal tutor too not just regarding work but my career path also. I know when I when I've been in a lecture that also supported distance learning students they accommodated this really well responding to these students.

The student wellbeing service is helpful and offers a wide range of guidance that can be accessed also online. Alongside this is the union which offer lots of guidance and experiences while at university.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes

Hi Chloe!

I have just applied for the criminology and criminal justice distance learning degree and am wondering what the modules are like as there isn’t much information on the course online! What kind of topics do you learn about and what was your favourite topic to learn about!

Thank you,

Gabriella
Original post by gabriellagaw
Hi Chloe!

I have just applied for the criminology and criminal justice distance learning degree and am wondering what the modules are like as there isn’t much information on the course online! What kind of topics do you learn about and what was your favourite topic to learn about!

Thank you,

Gabriella

Hi! Gabriella

Here's a link t where you find which modules are available to study https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-criminology-and-criminal-justice

The subject/module that I enjoyed most was wildlife crime. I found the lecturers really helpful and they were very enthusiastic about what they were teaching. They made the lectures immersive, so you got to experience what life would be like working in this topic area and always referenced where the module would take you in your career.
I also studied crimes of the powerful, which I found really interesting and ended up using that module for my dissertation.

However, there are lots of new modules on the site which look interesting to take, so I would definitely search around on the link that I've sent.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending