The Student Room Group

How can i get from an E grade to an A* in A-level chemistry???

How can i get from an E grade to an A* in chemistry??? I have just gone into my second year of college with a predicted grade of an E in chemistry. I desperately need to get an A* . Any tips/advice/helpppp???? Thanks:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dunno20000
How can i get from an E grade to an A* in chemistry??? I have just gone into my second year of college with a predicted grade of an E in chemistry. I desperately need to get an A* . Any tips/advice/helpppp???? Thanks:smile:

Listen to the teacher, if he says do the classwork eg sheet do it. If he says revise these question...revise those questions...If you feel you didnt understand ask questions. Some people think college is very independent learning when in reality. The teachers literally tell you what to do, Just follow what they say, if they ask you to do extra questions just do them. Revise what they say do what they say.
Reply 2
Is it possible to cram my first year of college (AS) into my second year as well.I do not feel i tried my hardest tbh but am willing to make up for it
The ChemGuide website has amazing notes. Learn from this and then do as many practice exam questions as possible for each topic. The exam questions in Chemistry are frequently repeated and asked in similar formats, so doing practice questions will be very helpful in your preparation.
Reply 4
Original post by Grade A
The ChemGuide website has amazing notes. Learn from this and then do as many practice exam questions as possible for each topic. The exam questions in Chemistry are frequently repeated and asked in similar formats, so doing practice questions will be very helpful in your preparation.

ahh thanks
Original post by Dunno20000

I'm not going to lie to you. If you've been predicted an E then the chances of getting an A* really is vanishingly small. Almost so small as to be certain not to happen. You'd have to have such untapped reserves of ability, such that your current performance was so massively unrepresentative of your actual ability... It's just not going to happen. Predicted grades are based on evidence and data, and whilst they can always be 'beaten', they're usually roughly right...

Instead of setting an unachievable target, how about setting something more realistic, or changing what you're going to do after your A levels to more realistically fit into your likely final grade? By deluding yourself about a A*, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don't want to sound harsh with this post, but there is no point in leading you on by pretending that what you suggest is in any way possible. Sorry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I'm not going to lie to you. If you've been predicted an E then the chances of getting an A* really is vanishingly small. Almost so small as to be certain not to happen. You'd have to have such untapped reserves of ability, such that your current performance was so massively unrepresentative of your actual ability... It's just not going to happen. Predicted grades are based on evidence and data, and whilst they can always be 'beaten', they're usually roughly right...

Instead of setting an unachievable target, how about setting something more realistic, or changing what you're going to do after your A levels to more realistically fit into your likely final grade? By deluding yourself about a A*, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don't want to sound harsh with this post, but there is no point in leading you on by pretending that what you suggest is in any way possible. Sorry.

I mean that's false, if the OP works hard consistently over the year they can definitely get an A*/A.
Chemrevise
Chemguide
Physics and Maths Tutor
Past papers

All these resources will help you get an A*/A
Original post by CashBlack
I mean that's false, if the OP works hard consistently over the year they can definitely get an A*/A.

It's not false - it's the likely outcome based on years of observation. Some people can work as hard as they possibly can, but not everyone actually has the ability to get an A*. You're essentially suggesting that 'all the OP needs to do is lot of work', which isn't necessarily true.

Sorry, but they're the facts.
It's not false - it's the likely outcome based on years of observation. Some people can work as hard as they possibly can, but not everyone actually has the ability to get an A*. You're essentially suggesting that 'all the OP needs to do is lot of work', which isn't necessarily true.

Sorry, but they're the facts.

They're not facts. I know getting an A* is a hit and miss in all a-level sciences but they can definitely get an A or A* by working hard. How else can you get an A*/A without working hard?
They're not facts. I know getting an A* is a hit and miss in all a-level sciences but they can definitely get an A or A* by working hard. How else can you get an A*/A without working hard?

I've already explained to you - not everyone is actually academically capable of getting an A*, no matter how much work they put in. In the same way, not everyone can bench 150kg, regardless of the amount of training they put in, or run a sub-10sec 100m. Or play the piano to grade 8 standard, regardless of the amount of practice they do...

I could go on, but you should be able to see the point. Some people just aren't capable of reaching the top grades/standards. It's just a fact of life. I
I've already explained to you - not everyone is actually academically capable of getting an A*, no matter how much work they put in. In the same way, not everyone can bench 150kg, regardless of the amount of training they put in, or run a sub-10sec 100m. Or play the piano to grade 8 standard, regardless of the amount of practice they do...

I could go on, but you should be able to see the point. Some people just aren't capable of reaching the top grades/standards. It's just a fact of life. I

Don't like people like you, how can you predict the future. I don't understand people like you instead of saying you won't be able to get an a* why don't you motivate people.
Don't like people like you, how can you predict the future. I don't understand people like you instead of saying you won't be able to get an a* why don't you motivate people.

You're not 'motivating people' when you give them false hope based on wishing thinking rather than facts, evidence and plain common sense. What you're actually doing there is misleading them, and setting them up for failure. You motivate people by setting realistic, achievable targets and working towards them For the OP, an A* is not realistically achievable. You can get all cross and righteous about this, but it still doesn't make an unachievable target achievable.

I'm going to leave it there now, because the point has both been made and reinforced. Oh, and posts of yours like the one copied below don't really improve your credibility:
(edited 5 years ago)
The only thing which will help you now sare past paper questions. Do ALL the questions you can get your hands on but remember to do them without looking at the mark scheme. Then look and then consolidate and learn from your mistakes.
Reply 13
You're not 'motivating people' when you give them false hope based on wishing thinking rather than facts, evidence and plain common sense. What you're actually doing there is misleading them, and setting them up for failure. You motivate people by setting realistic, achievable targets and working towards them For the OP, an A* is not realistically achievable. You can get all cross and righteous about this, but it still doesn't make an unachievable target achievable.

I'm going to leave it there now, because the point has both been made and reinforced.

Personally, have you ever seen this before? From an E to an A*? OP would practically have to do the whole thing again, like starting new.

I'm going to leave it there now, because the point has both been made and reinforced. Oh, and posts of yours like the one copied below don't really improve your credibility:

Attachment not found

attachments functional as usual. :P
I'm practically in the same position as u and I can't apply to uni this year because of it. I go to chem club now and revise everyday lool and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I'll get an A* in the exam
Original post by Black Water
Personally, have you ever seen this before? From an E to an A*? OP would practically have to do the whole thing again, like starting new.

In all my years, and of all the cohorts I have taken through, I have never heard of this, no. A prediction of an E is basically saying 'we hope you might pass the qualification, with a good wind'. Predictions are made on a large number of data points, such as performance at GCSE, KS3, mocks, set work, in-class tests etc... We always hope that candidates will exceed their predictions, and getting a D where you've been predicted an E is perfectly possible, with a lot of hard work. But E to A*...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
attachments functional as usual. :P

It's so annoying... I can't believe it's still happening, after all these years.
Reply 18
In all my years, and of all the cohorts I have taken through, I have never heard of this, no. A prediction of an E is basically saying 'we hope you might pass the qualification, with a good wind'. Predictions are made on a large number of data points, such as performance at GCSE, KS3, mocks, set work, in-class tests etc... We always hope that candidates will exceed their predictions, and getting a D where you've been predicted an E is perfectly possible, with a lot of hard word. But E to A*...

Yeah that’s true. It’s worse if they tried their hardest and could only get an E grade prediction. I’ve only seen this happen once ever tbh, otherwise it’s not common at all.

Some form of natural ability is required. I’m currently in year 13, some of my friends work unbelievable hard at chemistry but they just don’t understand it...

Quick Reply

Latest