The Student Room Group

History coursework/ suffrage movement

Hi everyone, I am currently doing my History coursework on female suffrage in 1918 and I need to find historians who support the suffragists and also who oppose them and I'm really struggling. If anyone knows any, or any books that will help me, please let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Google?
Original post by Seamus123
Google?

google unfortunately doesnt count as a historian, and I cant find any names on google.
Original post by shortstuff04080
google unfortunately doesnt count as a historian, and I cant find any names on google.

English or American suffrage?
English or American suffrage?

English suffrage :smile:
Hi! Here are a few resources to get you started:

Marcie Kligman, ‘The Effect of Militancy in the British Suffragette Movement’

Martin Pugh, ‘Emily Wilding Davison: The Good Terrorist’, History Today, 2013

Dr Mari Takayanagi, ‘Parliament and Suffragettes’, 2014 lecture at the University of Exeter

Just pop these into Google and use them as a springboard. :smile: Good luck with your coursework!
Try to google historiography of suffragists , that will give possibly different opinions on the movement and point you in the direction of different historians cited with differing opinions. Look at the names of historians who have written the articles etc. That will give you some direction to follow. E.g https://www.johndclare.net/Women2_DidSuffragettesHelp.htm
Original post by Heidi-Heather
Hi! Here are a few resources to get you started:

Marcie Kligman, ‘The Effect of Militancy in the British Suffragette Movement’

Martin Pugh, ‘Emily Wilding Davison: The Good Terrorist’, History Today, 2013

Dr Mari Takayanagi, ‘Parliament and Suffragettes’, 2014 lecture at the University of Exeter

Just pop these into Google and use them as a springboard. :smile: Good luck with your coursework!

Thank you but i've read most of these and they are suffragette related not suffragist related, which is so annoying! But thank you anyway!
You could look at Gladstone who actively opposed women’s suffrage because he believed that women’s place was only relevant in involving themselves in supporting men’s participation in politics.
There is some stuff in the British Library on the anti-suffrage movement.
You could also look at the contribution of women in the war effort and how it was one of the reasons they felt they should have the vote.
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Try to google historiography of suffragists , that will give possibly different opinions on the movement and point you in the direction of different historians cited with differing opinions. Look at the names of historians who have written the articles etc. That will give you some direction to follow. E.g https://www.johndclare.net/Women2_DidSuffragettesHelp.htm

Thank you, will give this a go!
You could look at Gladstone who actively opposed women’s suffrage because he believed that women’s place was only relevant in involving themselves in supporting men’s participation in politics.
There is some stuff in the British Library on the anti-suffrage movement.
You could also look at the contribution of women in the war effort and how it was one of the reasons they felt they should have the vote.

Will look at Gladstone. I have some really useful histroains who believe it was women's war effort that secured them the vote, but cant find any for suffragists, so if you know anyone that claism the suffragists were postive and infuencial on the suffrage movement, please let me know! Thanks
Hi, I know this post is from over a year ao but could you tell me how you got on with your coursework and what your question was?
Original post by mimiferguson
Hi, I know this post is from over a year ao but could you tell me how you got on with your coursework and what your question was?

No worries! I will try and dig it out for you later as I can’t remember off the top of my head. Would be more than happy to send you mine if it would be of any help. I got a b.
No worries! I will try and dig it out for you later as I can’t remember off the top of my head. Would be more than happy to send you mine if it would be of any help. I got a b.

yes, it would be so much help thankyou, I just need help with picking books because I really want to get my coursework out the way. My teachers have been of no help.
did you manage to find it?
Here you go! If you need any more support, let me know
Reply 16
Hi, i'm interetsed in this topic area could you send me some recommendations for it etc.?
Original post by healm
Hi, i'm interetsed in this topic area could you send me some recommendations for it etc.?

Hi, please see above my coursework for any help. You could do it on suffrage and the war or individual suffrage groups? Mine was a mix of both!
Reply 18
Original post by healm

Hey I’m doing the same topic and haven’t found any interpretations, have you? If u have can u please send me some
Reply 19
Hi everyone, I am currently doing my History coursework on female suffrage in 1918 and I need to find historians who support the suffragists and also who oppose them and I'm really struggling. If anyone knows any, or any books that will help me, please let me know!

Hey I’m doing mine this year, same topic. Can u please send me the interpretations you used or and you please recommend some. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending