The Student Room Group

How do I get into Level 3 Veterinary Nursing at 21?

I’m currently a 2nd year Zoology student in the middle of a career crisis. I really love my course but I think I want to divert into a more hands on animal care role, specifically Veterinary nursing. I do know I want to finish my degree first but should I try and get work experience in a veterinary clinic while I’m still studying? I already volunteer at a Hedgehog rescue and rehabilitation centre, which probably won’t be enough.

I’d really prefer hands on training like an apprenticeship but I’m not to sure how to go about it. Do veterinary clinics offer training/apprenticeships?

Thanks
Original post by Kimidee
I’m currently a 2nd year Zoology student in the middle of a career crisis. I really love my course but I think I want to divert into a more hands on animal care role, specifically Veterinary nursing. I do know I want to finish my degree first but should I try and get work experience in a veterinary clinic while I’m still studying? I already volunteer at a Hedgehog rescue and rehabilitation centre, which probably won’t be enough.

I’d really prefer hands on training like an apprenticeship but I’m not to sure how to go about it. Do veterinary clinics offer training/apprenticeships?

Thanks

Your current experience won't be enough unless you are working with vet nurses there. However, I would recomend reaching out to all the vets in your local area and ask if you can do work experience with them in your spare time or during your holidays. This will be a good starting point for you as they may offer you a part-time job or placement if you are good or a reference at the least. When you have finished your degree, if you aren't employed in a vet practice, I would recommend looking for jobs along the tittles of: student veterinary nurse, trainee veterinary nurse, entry level training, veterinary receptionist, kennel/ cattery assistant and animal care/ veterinary nursing assistants. The last three positions are not guarenteed to give you a pathway into training, however, many people have been offered veterinary nurse training after a year or two of starting in these positions.

To honest, it would be very hard to get on to an apprenticeship as you won't recieve government funding for your training due to having a degree but some employers may be willing to pay for your training with their own money but most won't. You are better off getting a job at a vets and then funding your training through a 19+ learner loan.

Quick Reply

Latest