The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

We had a site visit in the snow on Monday. Bwahaha.

On topic - group work stresses me out SO ******* MUCH!
UGH!

Especially when people swan in after not being here for two days, no apology, then want to change everything (and the result looking crap). Sigh.

Can't wait for next week and actually get on with designing rather than analysing five bungalows next to a field..
Reply 181
Quiller
Well that would be lovely! haha. In the majority of cases you will be out job hunting or i`f you were fortunate enough to gain sponsorship from the practice you were working at / have contacts at, then you may be contractually obliged to return there after your Part II studies.

Anyway that question doesnt sound stressful enough to me... get back on topic!!

i mean whats the point of doing a 7 year(minimum) course if your not gonna get an offer from a famous company??!!
so much stress,so many presenations,so many guest visitors,no one will get enthusiastic about it??:s-smilie:
emmmmm
i mean whats the point of doing a 7 year(minimum) course if your not gonna get an offer from a famous company??!!
so much stress,so many presenations,so many guest visitors,no one will get enthusiastic about it??:s-smilie:

People do it because they love the subject (yes, we are masochists). If you want to get rich/famous, don't bother, because well.. you won't get there.
Reply 183
i am masochist too lol!
i love what i am doing but a little bit of recognition wouldnt bother me lollol!!
why are u so pessimistic anw?
I would agree, but saying you'll never get rich/famous is silly, as some people must do, there will be a new set of rogers, fosters, or whoever all the time, its inevitable, and who knows, people on this forum may be them.

Personally i'm not arsed about being rich and famous, but recognition for my work would be nice.

Also, fitting a house in a 3x4m2 box is hard! though ive made mine into a 12m squared circle, i need to go get all the measurements for everything.
Reply 185
Untitled258
I would agree, but saying you'll never get rich/famous is silly, as some people must do, there will be a new set of rogers, fosters, or whoever all the time, its inevitable, and who knows, people on this forum may be them.

Personally i'm not arsed about being rich and famous, but recognition for my work would be nice.

Also, fitting a house in a 3x4m2 box is hard! though ive made mine into a 12m squared circle, i need to go get all the measurements for everything.

thats what i am talking about,recognition for my work:biggrin:
it sounds nerve-wrecking
damn i am currently doing the project(1st year) with the chairs/boxes,i dunno if u do it there but it's so stupid!seriously!
I cant say ive done anything involving boxes and chairs lol.

Im 1st year, our current project is to build a small pod which is accessed from the walls in york. Which i dont like, i like the pods, but the walls should be left alone. I have no idea what to do though, its annoying me so much.
Reply 187
your sound more weird than mine hhaaha
what else have u done so far beside that?
basically there are 2 themes ,one is the chairs stuff and the other is about people eating:/
Which uni is it??

We've had a sketching project at the very start of the year, a meaning model project, like making models for words like hierarchy, we had like 30 words i think, and we had to make a "conversation space" which was at the side of a lake, and now we are making this housing pod, and then we have a skinny house project making terrice houses as the big project of the year.

This project seems stupidly short though, our first project where we have to design an inhabitable space, and we get about a week and a half on the design, if that, properly irritating.
emmmmm
thats what i am talking about,recognition for my work:biggrin:
it sounds nerve-wrecking
damn i am currently doing the project(1st year) with the chairs/boxes,i dunno if u do it there but it's so stupid!seriously!

seriously, don't do architecture looking for money OR recognition. if you're seriously going into this expecting that you'll get a bit of recognition, you're likely to be crushed. because people don't really care. its been done before, better by someone else in 9999/10000 cases. so no one's really that interested in your project, let along give you recognition.

you asked why the pessimism. because that's how it is. you just need very strong internal reserves to keep going. no one is going to buoy you along or give you a pat on the back for doing stuff. we have 'crits'. funny that. there is generally 10% praise, 90% criticism. its good. it makes you get better that way.
jrhartley
there is generally 10% praise, 90% criticism..

Nothing like an interim crit which was 70% praise, 30% criticism, to a final crit with 99.5% criticism and 0.5% praise... good timeees. Hah.

And a project about chairs? Interrrresting.
Hispanic-Impressions
We had a site visit in the snow on Monday. Bwahaha.

On topic - group work stresses me out SO ******* MUCH!
UGH!

Especially when people swan in after not being here for two days, no apology, then want to change everything (and the result looking crap). Sigh.

Can't wait for next week and actually get on with designing rather than analysing five bungalows next to a field..

Group work!

I just had a group meeting to do some research on kew gardens and my group didnt even know how to look for books or articles in the library. wtf
Reply 192
Hispanic-Impressions
Nothing like an interim crit which was 70% praise, 30% criticism, to a final crit with 99.5% criticism and 0.5% praise... good timeees. Hah.

And a project about chairs? Interrrresting.

on the last final crit i had i got 99.99999999 BAD critism and 0.000001 praise lol.
thats what happen when u get the most eccentric person for a final review
Reply 193
Untitled258
Which uni is it??

We've had a sketching project at the very start of the year, a meaning model project, like making models for words like hierarchy, we had like 30 words i think, and we had to make a "conversation space" which was at the side of a lake, and now we are making this housing pod, and then we have a skinny house project making terrice houses as the big project of the year.

This project seems stupidly short though, our first project where we have to design an inhabitable space, and we get about a week and a half on the design, if that, properly irritating.

omg u made 30 models for a project?thats stressing
Reply 194
I get 100% criticism and even get called big words like 'pseudo-intellectual' and shorter ones like '******* idiot'.

I've found in times of need I just hum this song and everything seems ok.
Reply 195
are u serious??:0
ur tutors call u that names?
in which uni are u?

i couldnt open the song sorry,tell me the name
emmmmm
omg u made 30 models for a project?thats stressing

On quick sketch models, but we got a few of the best and made worked them up and made proper models of them though.

My tutor called me a **** wit and a **** on serveral occasions. There deserved though,
Reply 197
u deserved it??:0
i dont think any1 would like to be treated like that
Well we was searching for him on facebook and I spelt his name wrong and he said "you've spelt my name wrong you **** wit"

Its all good banter i get on well with him, and i dont care if people swear at me.
Reply 199
lol u were searchin for him on facebook and he saw u haha:tongue:
so are the tutors in leeds uni swear at all their student just like that and they dont bother being kind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending