The Student Room Group

Architecture Stress Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jrhartley
you can if you know how to pimp it right with rubyscripts.

all about the pimpin'

but why would you want to do any gestural hadidesque curves in the first place is the real question?

its all about the blobitecture.
Reply 781
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
its all about the blobitecture.

:yes: lold
Reply 782
What a fantastic thread! Any architecture students out there, what is the best thing about the course? What makes you tick/ it all worth while?
I can say, after not posting in this thread for ages, i recently graduated, and have no intension of becoming an architect, going to do a masters in something different.
Original post by Untitled258
I can say, after not posting in this thread for ages, i recently graduated, and have no intension of becoming an architect, going to do a masters in something different.

what are you going to do instead?
what are you going to do instead?

I should, pending acceptance, be studing an MSC in Digital Video and Special Effects, basically Cad work, and CGI stuff and editing videos, so there is cross over i guess, but its enough of a change and i love and want to work in film :biggrin:
from what I have read online, the work load for architecture is approximately 1.5 times the work load of medicine

now that is quite something...
Original post by Untitled258
I should, pending acceptance, be studing an MSC in Digital Video and Special Effects, basically Cad work, and CGI stuff and editing videos, so there is cross over i guess, but its enough of a change and i love and want to work in film :biggrin:

I was looking into that as well, you can pretty much do it without the Msc. Providing you have a portfolio of renders from programs like 3d Max, Maya, Mental Ray etc.
I was watching the lastest Harry Potter film and some of the scenes were done in 3D max, especially in the fire scene.

The course sounds like fun, hope you enjoy it! :smile:
I was looking into that as well, you can pretty much do it without the Msc. Providing you have a portfolio of renders from programs like 3d Max, Maya, Mental Ray etc.
I was watching the lastest Harry Potter film and some of the scenes were done in 3D max, especially in the fire scene.

The course sounds like fun, hope you enjoy it! :smile:

Yeah, sent my folio, they work mainly on Maya which i don't know, but im self teaching over summer, and there are lectures on it, i know 3DS fairly well, ish, im just waiting for a formal acceptance now.

But yeh, i was watching stuff like Potter too thinking. I WANT TO DO THAT NOW!
Reply 789
Original post by Sangbatz
What a fantastic thread! Any architecture students out there, what is the best thing about the course? What makes you tick/ it all worth while?

The end

Graduating after working your ass off for 3 years, while everyone else goes out/has fun/gets to see daylight, to find there are no jobs in sight, no chance of you finding a job and barely enough money in the industry to pay for rent. Meanwhile all the mates who went out getting pissed have walked into £23k jobs and now have lots of nice things like cars, sandwiches and shoes not held together with gaffa tape. That really rocks my ****ing boat.

I'm not bitter at all. Is it bad that I want to break things when I go anywhere near the RIBA website? :colonhash:
Original post by Andeh_
The end

Graduating after working your ass off for 3 years, while everyone else goes out/has fun/gets to see daylight, to find there are no jobs in sight, no chance of you finding a job and barely enough money in the industry to pay for rent. Meanwhile all the mates who went out getting pissed have walked into £23k jobs and now have lots of nice things like cars, sandwiches and shoes not held together with gaffa tape. That really rocks my ****ing boat.

I'm not bitter at all. Is it bad that I want to break things when I go anywhere near the RIBA website? :colonhash:

Maybe you want to get your cv and portfolio checked? you don't have to work in an architects firm to get your year out experience. you could work in interior design, landscape, contractor, or engineering firms.

Failing that, you can just apply for graduate jobs. My friend's friend works for Accenture after doing Architecture at Nottingham.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 791
Yeah, maybe. I've had my CV checked by a few people but TBH architecture is so different (read: like to think they're so different) to other industries, who knows if what is generally acceptable is adequate for applying for part 1. I'm so disenchanted with it all, I don't think I could cope working in a practice even if I did get a job, my bull**** detector is super sensitive at the minute.

Case Study: that Bartlett thread the other day, I was incensed by that for no good reason really. I just wanted to strangle every one of the pretentious *****. If I opened a school of homeopathy that granted doctorates to students, which allowed them to practice as fully qualified medical doctors, The General Medical Council would be all over my ass and stop the students from working. Somehow though it's acceptable for them to equip their students with little more than an Art degree and still they are allowed out, into what is a position of power and responsibility, with a head full of philosophy and portfolio indistinguishable from an art student's abstract building study. Yet, they are the elite in our industry, queer that.

I've been applying for other stuff (like ID, graphics, CAD technician) but no luck so far. Nothing really get's me excited, I don't want to hate my job.

Regarding graduate schemes, like I said, I don't want to hate my job. I don't think I'd work very well in a formal office situation, I like to do things and get out and about and make stuff.

I really have no idea what to do, it's stressing me out so much. Also, people do insist on taking an interest in my employment situation when they have no idea of the logistics. Seriously, I'm going to ****ing explode at the next person who tells me "you just need to get yourself out there". I'm so fed up of this, it's really grinding me down, I don't need this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by Andeh_
Yeah, maybe. I've had my CV checked by a few people but TBH architecture is so different (read: like to think they're so different) to other industries, who knows if what is generally acceptable is adequate for applying for part 1. I'm so disenchanted with it all, I don't think I could cope working in a practice even if I did get a job, my bull**** detector is super sensitive at the minute.

Case Study: that Bartlett thread the other day, I was incensed by that for no good reason really. I just wanted to strangle every one of the pretentious *****. If I opened a school of homeopathy that granted doctorates to students, which allowed them to practice as fully qualified medical doctors, The General Medical Council would be all over my ass and stop the students from working. Somehow though it's acceptable for them to equip their students with little more than an Art degree and still they are allowed out, into what is a position of power and responsibility, with a head full of philosophy and portfolio indistinguishable from an art student's abstract building study. Yet, they are the elite in our industry, queer that.

I've been applying for other stuff (like ID, graphics, CAD technician) but no luck so far. Nothing really get's me excited, I don't want to hate my job.

Regarding graduate schemes, like I said, I don't want to hate my job. I don't think I'd work very well in a formal office situation, I like to do things and get out and about and make stuff.

I really have no idea what to do, it's stressing me out so much. Also, people do insist on taking an interest in my employment situation when they have no idea of the logistics. Seriously, I'm going to ****ing explode at the next person who tells me "you just need to get yourself out there". I'm so fed up of this, it's really grinding me down, I don't need this.

It's people like you that make me sick, obviously your portfolio isn't good enough and you're upset because you went to a **** uni. The work they do at the Bartlett is pushing the industry forward and everything that comes out of that place is pure gold, it's not pretentiousness, it's art! It's your own fault that you didn't spend three years with Cinema4D open doing black and white renders and don't have parents that could support you while you work as an unpaid intern for Zaha or get you in to the practice with that guy your Dad knows from the club. Architecture couldn't have been that hard and I'm sure there are lots of jobs if you look hard enough.

I'm feeling exactly the same and I know lots of others who feel the same so you aren't alone.
Reply 793
I'm glad I'm not alone, though I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :rolleyes: (Edit: I'm pretty sure you are, I hope so)

If you're not, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure your opinion is shared by 90% of the architectural community (at least on the surface). Why do architects think they're anything other than people who draw buildings? I'm not saying that architecture shouldn't be beautiful.....but you can do that without all the bull****.

The industry isn't what I thought it was. I wish I did engineering.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 794
Original post by Andeh_
I'm glad I'm not alone, though I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :rolleyes:

If you're not, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure your opinion is shared by 90% of the architectural community (at least on the surface). Why do architects think they're anything other than people who draw buildings? I'm not saying that architecture shouldn't be beautiful.....but you can do that without all the bull****.

Half the problem is us not understanding what the hell we actually do and the other half of the problem is the public not knowing what the hell we actually do. All of this in compounded by the collective arrogance we possess as a profession, we are always the smartest people in the room, we always know exactly what we are doing even though if we did know we'd be able to explain it in a way people could relate to and we shouldn't have to explain to anyone else including other professions and the public because they probably wouldn't understand anyway.

It could be worse, at least you don't have a Sociology, Physiology or Media Studies Degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 795
Original post by KeyserNI

It could be worse, at least you don't have a Sociology, Physiology or Media Studies Degree.

Amen brother!

(Anecdote time: In the SU toilets there used to be Graffiti above the loo roll saying "Sociology Degrees, please take one." That always cheers me up when things feel a little futile.)
Original post by Andeh_
I'm glad I'm not alone, though I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :rolleyes: (Edit: I'm pretty sure you are, I hope so)

Isn't it surprising thatwhen you go to the Engineering forum on TSR, there is no threads like this.
way off topic, but i've heard the doors on zaha's vitra fire station weren't tall enough for the engines to get thru...
(hello all, btw. been watching my fave bit of tsr archiland for ages, but aint posted for years!)
Reply 798
I had heard something like that....also maybe structural problems? I might have imagined this.

To me a lot of her (well, her practice’s) work looks a lot like the sort of thing 1st years produce.....this doesn’t mean I don’t like it, so no flaming! It’s all curves and funny shape windows and walls that become floors. That said, I’m sure it’s all embroidered with lavish meaning and contextual duality :rolleyes:
Reply 799
She does, however, have impeccable dress sense!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending