The Student Room Group

Languages at Uni

I want to study Italian with either French from beginners level or Spanish from beginners level. I've found a couple I really like, Kent and Leicester, but I'm really not too keen on going very far from home (I live in Kent/S.E.London). There really don't seem to be many which do this course though, and I'm worried that when it comes to applying I'm not going to be able to find 5 to put down that I would seriously consider going to, as Kent is the only one that I really want to go to at the moment...
Please can someone help? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Royal Holloway is good for languages, you should be able to do Italian and ab initio Spanish there if I recall correctly.
The only thing is that the majority of universities do not offer beginners French, and some places don't offer beginners Spanish either (e.g. UCL, my university, offers neither from scratch).
Reply 2
Leicester is only an hour and a half away from london on the train?
Reply 3
pretz
Sheffield does.

She did say she wants to stay near home.
Stop pushing your Sheffield agenda ;dry;
Reply 4
Same as pretz, i really don't wanna study in london and you couldn't pay me to live there, I just about live in Kent but still get to use the oyster card so it's a bit in the middle really. Didn't know leicester was only 1.5 hours on the train though, probably a bit longer for me since i'm just south east of london. But still, that makes me feel a bit better :smile:
Reply 5
pretz
Hey man, everyone has to leave home sometime... I'm just preparing her for the big, bad world where ANYTHING could happen... actually for that maybe she should go to London. :wink:

Pfft I'm living in London and it's not so bad. Maybe not as quiet and sheltered as Sheffield...:p:
Reply 6
You can do Italian + ab initio Spanish at Durham, but you said you didn't want to go far from home so...:dontknow:
Reply 7
I secretly wish I had gotten into Durham:s-smilie:

Don't tell anyone though :ninja:
Reply 8
paddy
I secretly wish I had gotten into Durham:s-smilie:

Don't tell anyone though :ninja:

I wish you had too :puppyeyes:
Reply 9
Haha thanks guys. Where is Durham exactly? I believe it is very north east of here, north even of Yorkshire... like ... has anyone seen Billy Elliot? Isn't that where he lives? :P Hehe
Reply 10
Lol yeah Billy Elliot lives in Co. Durham.
Durham is slightly south of Newcastle.
Reply 11
Becca
I wish you had too :puppyeyes:

:puppyeyes:
I might do a masters there:biggrin:
Kent allows you to do French ab initio. As does Leicester.
Reply 13
laughingwithpicasso
Kent allows you to do French ab initio. As does Leicester.

Well done, you've told the OP exactly what she already knows:rolleyes:
Reply 14
Haha yeah :P I'd rather spanish but whichever i can get from beginners is fine by me.

Latest

Trending

Trending