The Student Room Group

Beginners Languages

I have posted my UCAS applications and have received 3/5 rejections. However languages can be studied from beginner’s levels. I see that you can study 1 beginner in 1st year and add another beginner’s in 2nd year. Therefore I applied for BA degree titled French and Portuguese. However after my rejections I believed I applied incorrectly. Should I have applied for 1 main language for 1st year? I think each year you re-apply for your next year degree. Is that when I would then add another language? I am slightly worried in case I have applied incorrectly. Should I email the universities and do they typically respond regarding UCAS?
This really depends on the individual course. Not all languages are available for beginners at all unis, and it's uncommon to be allowed to study two languages from scratch. This is normally made clear in the entry requirements for the degree though.

You don't reapply each year for the next year of your degree either.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
This really depends on the individual course. Not all languages are available for beginners at all unis, and it's uncommon to be allowed to study two languages from scratch. This is normally made clear in the entry requirements for the degree though.
You don't reapply each year for the next year of your degree either.

Thank you. The universities I chose do offer beginner & advanced courses with the choice to add another language in the second year (only specified languages not all). I think they do prefer high grades in most qualifications in any case, which I don’t have so I might end up applying for UCAS extra and applying to a few other universities or to study something else with a language degree.
Original post by StephJM
Thank you. The universities I chose do offer beginner & advanced courses with the choice to add another language in the second year (only specified languages not all). I think they do prefer high grades in most qualifications in any case, which I don’t have so I might end up applying for UCAS extra and applying to a few other universities or to study something else with a language degree.

You need to not just focus on generalities - look at the specific degree programme you applied to on their page. Does it explicitly state one of the languages is required to A-level? If yes then that is likely the issue.

You can't just assume that because the university offers languages from beginners level, you necessarily can apply for two beginners level languages to start with, or that all language degrees at those unis will allow you to start another language after starting.

This is something that it would have been useful to contact the unis before applying to ask so you knew exactly what their expectations were. Also a reason open days are useful to attend - it's easy to discuss informally these and related matters with admissions staff and students there.

Unless I am mistaken you can only apply through UCAS Extra if you have received all your decisions and are holding no offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending