The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh right, :biggrin: thanks
You're welcome.
how old do i have to be to volunteer or work in a hospital??
Priyanka1992
how old do i have to be to volunteer or work in a hospital??

Some like you to be 17, other say 16 is fine from my experience.
John Locke
Some like you to be 17, other say 16 is fine from my experience.

Reply 185
oh, is the CRB not transferable? so if i applied to other places i will have to have another check? but that will take so much time....grrr stupid CRB :frown:
bunzy
oh, is the CRB not transferable? so if i applied to other places i will have to have another check? but that will take so much time....grrr stupid CRB :frown:

Nope, each trust/organisation will want to do their own one on you :rolleyes: .
I don't know about anyone else...but i have the feeling my grades are going to suffer because i've got so much work experience, voluntary work, extracurriculur stuff to get involved in..:frown:

I know that those who are determined enough and those who are doctor material will get their As as well as enough stuff to say on their personal statement, but did anyone find it extremely difficult to handle all their commitments?
And, how much time do you recommend spending on all that per week?
Reply 188
Priyanka1992
I don't know about anyone else...but i have the feeling my grades are going to suffer because i've got so much work experience, voluntary work, extracurriculur stuff to get involved in..:frown:

I know that those who are determined enough and those who are doctor material will get their As as well as enough stuff to say on their personal statement, but did anyone find it extremely difficult to handle all their commitments?
And, how much time do you recommend spending on all that per week?

Honestly I really wouldn't worry about your GCSE results, as unless you intend on studying at a die-hard GCSE university like Birmingham or Durham, you have the option of studying at many places. What are your anticipated grades Priyanka? If your hoping for 5/6 A's, then you should be fine.

As for the extracurricular stuff, I would really advise you to get a large quantity done during the school holidays as there is no schoolwork to be done, therefore your mind will be more focused towards the work experience part and not about schoolwork.

I would try not to worry about your results though, you seem pretty smart to me! :biggrin:

tom
tomster
Honestly I really wouldn't worry about your GCSE results, as unless you intend on studying at a die-hard GCSE university like Birmingham or Durham, you have the option of studying at many places. What are your anticipated grades Priyanka? If your hoping for 5/6 A's, then you should be fine.

As for the extracurricular stuff, I would really advise you to get a large quantity done during the school holidays as there is no schoolwork to be done, therefore your mind will be more focused towards the work experience part and not about schoolwork.

I would try not to worry about your results though, you seem pretty smart to me! :biggrin:

tom

Awww...your sweet

Well, my predicted grades were 11 As and i did 2 already with A*s in both, but then that was just 2 GCSEs whereas i did about 17 exams this summer..its sounds good so far but its just me and my pessismistic attitude always thinking the worst. Ha. I'm a loser.

Yeah i guess i should get cracking with work experience..ha..i like the word cracking...errr..its about finding some really, ive tried and havent got anywhere yet...but i will try and try again...lol..Yer sooo thanks for the advice Tom...much appreciated :biggrin:
Priyanka1992
Awww...your sweet

Well, my predicted grades were 11 As and i did 2 already with A*s in both, but then that was just 2 GCSEs whereas i did about 17 exams this summer..its sounds good so far but its just me and my pessismistic attitude always thinking the worst. Ha. I'm a loser.

Yeah i guess i should get cracking with work experience..ha..i like the word cracking...errr..its about finding some really, ive tried and havent got anywhere yet...but i will try and try again...lol..Yer sooo thanks for the advice Tom...much appreciated :biggrin:

There are lots of ways to get w.e, especially in London coz there are loads of hospitals and surgeries. I got a week of w.e at a hospital (doing it now - 2 days of practical to come :biggrin:) and I have sent letters to loads of surgeries and consultants at King's college Hospital so hopefully a few of them give me some w.e.

Also, you can do voluntary work at a few places if you want. PM me if you want a few websites or places to get work experience/voluntary work in London :smile:
Reply 191
!MEna
I recommend a few of you check out your local resident nursing homes/day centres because after the day I've had today, it's a totally different experience than just shadowing consultants on wards/clinics.

So far I've had three weeks work experience and a year's voluntary work at Oxfam. I've only just started at the resident day centre this week which I aim to keep up throughout the entire summer holidays and potentially longer, and I've got a placement volunteering on wards starting from August 18th which is what I intend to keep on doing for as long as possible.

If you need work experience, ring up all the hospitals in your local NHS trust and speak to the voluntary services manager. Quite a few will say they're full up with students but you'll be surprised that there'll be the odd one or two who can fit you in. No harm in giving them a call some time in the upcoming week. Do it quickly though.

Really? I can definatly imagine that there would be more patient contact in a mursing home, but I can also see it as personally satisfying too. There are some people who don't have visitors that often, or even at all, so showing companionship seems rewarding. It's also pretty good thing to write about in your PS.

How is Oxfam MEna? I've thought of doing a day a week during the summer, it certainly beats studying and just getting fat!

Brilliant advice about getting work experience, but I would also reccomend booking well into advance, as it enables you to do the shadowing when you want, as opposed to a really inconvienient time. What work types of work experience have done btw?

tom
I'm in Y10, starting Y11 this Sept. and will also have to make my A level choices pretty soon (the school wants us to have a good idea of where we want to head by the start of October).

I still am not sure whether to opt down the science --> medicine route and take Chem+Bio for AS. Would it be ok to apply for work experience at a hospital/gp at this age (15) for a very short period of time (under a week) just so I can get a picture of what it might be like? Would hospitals/GPs allow that or would I have to wait until I'm 16?

Also, if I do get given a placement now, will I get rejected in say 2 years time if I apply for experience again on the terms of "you've had your go, other people also need experience too" ?
I am going to be doing work experience in a hospital tomorrow.
Can some one please tell me the sort of things I might do so that I'll be a little bit prepared?? I'm assuming I'm probably going to be on a general ward.

Also I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to wear. I'm thinking smart trousers with a blouse or sweater..
fleetingtriumph
I am going to be doing work experience in a hospital tomorrow.
Can some one please tell me the sort of things I might do so that I'll be a little bit prepared?? I'm assuming I'm probably going to be on a general ward.

Also I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to wear. I'm thinking smart trousers with a blouse or sweater..

Yep, I was on a general ward and it was a bit dull, but I met a doctor who took us all around the hospital and that was very interesting :smile:

You'll be making beds, handing out meals, and other general admin, such as filing etc. Talk to the patients and talk to the doctors because they are very good and will find time for you :biggrin: The ones I talked to certainly were very friendly.

you're a girl, so smart trousers and a blouse is fine I think, but better ask a girl :p:
purplefrog
I'm in Y10, starting Y11 this Sept. and will also have to make my A level choices pretty soon (the school wants us to have a good idea of where we want to head by the start of October).

I still am not sure whether to opt down the science --> medicine route and take Chem+Bio for AS. Would it be ok to apply for work experience at a hospital/gp at this age (15) for a very short period of time (under a week) just so I can get a picture of what it might be like? Would hospitals/GPs allow that or would I have to wait until I'm 16?

Also, if I do get given a placement now, will I get rejected in say 2 years time if I apply for experience again on the terms of "you've had your go, other people also need experience too" ?

It would definitely be a very good idea to try and get some work experience now. Choosing your A levels is obv an extremely important decision and getting some work experience can only be helpful. Presumably there are several GP surgeries in the area around where you live or the neighbouring towns so you could always apply to one now, and then 2 years later apply for experience at a different one.

However, your age might present a difficulty. When do you turn 16?? The GP that I got experiene at was OK with taking people aged 15 and above, but I'm not sure if all of them would agree to this. Also be aware that local GPs may be unwilling to take you on because of confidentiality issues so you may have to be prepared to travel. The closest GP that would accept me for experience was about 1hr away. What I did was make a list and call each one in turn until I found one that would take me. You could also ask your local GP if he knows any doctors that would be willing to take you on.

However I'm pretty sure that you have to be 16 to get expereince at a hospital (anyone else please contradict me if this is wrong).

Good luck with getting a placement and with your A level decisions:redface:
Reply 196
Ugh.

I've written so, so many letters to a variety of places. Almost a month and I've got no responses - apart from Vitalise (which I'm attending in April). Any advice?
Beska
Ugh.

I've written so, so many letters to a variety of places. Almost a month and I've got no responses - apart from Vitalise (which I'm attending in April). Any advice?

Phone up and be direct. I've never ever got anywhere with letters as they are so easy to ignore.

Also think of distant relatives/friends of friends that may know someone who could help you. I've had to organise all my work experience through family/friends because the hospitals and GPs just aren't interested around here unless they've got some kind of personal connection with you.
Beska
Ugh.

Well, firstly, don't get disheartened. Getting work experience is often a matter of tenacity.

As for the letters, chase up what you've sent with a call. Then you know where you stand. Sometimes your letter might not have even got to where it supposed to, I got my dad to send off around 10 letters to GPS and found out two weeks later that none of them had been sent off when I called up :rolleyes: Chances are this hasn't happened to you, but a phone call is still the best thing to do.

Try sending letters off to more consultants (if you haven't done this already, there's probably a list on your hospital website, it might take some digging though), I did 16 and got back 2 offers. And as for GPs, go further a field and send more.

Your yellow pages is your best friend (as is the internet :smile:) so search for numbers of hospices, care homes, primary schools etc. Give them a call before you send a letter to see if they'll even consider you, alot of the time they'll send packs to you with an application form without a letter.

Hope that helps :smile: Don't give up!
Reply 199
It's who you know, not what you know!

A friend of a friend is the owner of an old person's home and is perfectly fine with offering me a long-term saturday job. I've been told that long-term arrangements like this are great, especially if you "make personal links with the patients" (Nottingham undergrad officer).

Is this as great as I think?

So far, I have organised a week with Vitalise and a long-term saturday job that will add up to 1 year+ of working at an elderly person's home. I think I'm getting on the right track here.

Edit: Most of the stuff I've been getting back from hospital's is that "It's impossible to have any kind of work experience or to volunteer when you're below 18. There's no way you can do it." This is obviously wrong, being pushy I got "Well, there's a position for an under-18 as a greeter - minimum employment contract is full time, 18 months".

I think they're just taking the piss. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending