The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5880
I love how people are only doing it for their applications, If you're only doing it so your personal statement looks good then medicine is not for you. It is fake care and this annoys me so much, it isn't just about doing it to look like you care you're meant to do it because you do
Original post by tyereek
I love how people are only doing it for their applications, If you're only doing it so your personal statement looks good then medicine is not for you. It is fake care and this annoys me so much, it isn't just about doing it to look like you care you're meant to do it because you do

Get over it, the applications system is a joke, and they've made us act like we have to play the system.
Bye for now. :biggrin:
Original post by tyereek

Just because someone doesn't find the idea of volunteering at a nursing home for a year or two thrilling doesn't mean they're heartless or anything like that, and it certainly doesn't reflect on the level of care you're likely to provide a patient when you're a doctor.
Does it have to be voluntary? I've just applied for a paid position at a carehome and got an interview, perhaps you could try that?
Original post by MediterraneanX
Does it have to be voluntary? I've just applied for a paid position at a carehome and got an interview, perhaps you could try that?

I already have a paid job, I've managed to find a voluntary postition in a childrens hospice and mental health community sessions, so I'm happy. :biggrin:
Reply 5885
ooh awesome, I never thought of doing work exp at a uni! (but then again im about 3 hours from the nearest med school..)

I'd just wear some grey trousers/skirt with a light coloured shirt with a plain jumper. Formal but nothing fancy.
Reply 5886
Original post by tyereek

I think you're wrong on that one.

A lot of people do only do it for their applications, but most of the time its to demonstrate a characteristic. I can say I'm a caring person, my friends know it, my family knows it. But can I write that in my personal statement? No, so I need to go out and get experience to prove to the admissions people that I am caring. They won't just take my word for it.

What shows if a person is really caring is how they talk about their experiences - did they love it? If it was experience in a hospital, is the first thing the person talks about the medical conditions they saw, or the patients they met? Everyone has to prove their personalities for a personal statement, thats just the way it is. You try getting in for medicine saying that you are caring and nice, and you have good coomunication skills if you haven't got anything to back it up.
Thanks guys for your suggestions :smile: think I got my outfit sorted out now haha
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I had an interview which was supposed to be for an hour but I found that it was actually really short and the majority of the time was form-filling, orientation etc.
It might be the same with you? :smile:

It was! It only lasted for around 35-40mins so wasn't too bad. :P thankyou for answering this. (:
I've just been offered a week of work exp in June but the problem is that I have school in that week and one of the days is a really important day where attendance is compulsory. What should I do? I've been looking forward to this placement for quite a while now...
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
I've just been offered a week of work exp in June but the problem is that I have school in that week and one of the days is a really important day where attendance is compulsory. What should I do? I've been looking forward to this placement for quite a while now...

Hey I get how you're feeling. My school actually asked me not to go for the work experience... (which was really stupid) But I recommend you talk to them nicely and tell them how much this work exp means to you :biggrin:

Hope all goes well!
Hi

i want to make a work experience placement in hospitals, but it requires you to make the call.

Can anyone help me on what to say when i call them, i am really bad in verbal phone communication.

many regards
Original post by bluepearl
Hi

i want to make a work experience placement in hospitals, but it requires you to make the call.

Can anyone help me on what to say when i call them, i am really bad in verbal phone communication.

many regards

Be polite but keep it short and sweet as these people will be dealing with a lot of requests such as yours.

Hi, my name is [name] and I'm from [school/college/uni]. I'm really interested in medicine as a career, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to arrange to have some work experience in your hospital?

Take it from there :smile:
Reply 5893
One other option is tracking down the email address of that hospital's HR department. They are the ones usually handling work experience placements, and will email you back to tell you exactly what you need to do and how.

The only time I had to actually talk on the phone was when setting a date for an informal interview to decide where my placement is going to be.

#LE: And I got negged because I was sharing my experience and trying to help? What?
And the guy above me got negged for offering sensible advice? Sweet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MattKneale
Be polite but keep it short and sweet as these people will be dealing with a lot of requests such as yours.

Hi, my name is [name] and I'm from [school/college/uni]. I'm really interested in medicine as a career, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to arrange to have some work experience in your hospital?

Take it from there :smile:

Thanks , you were really helpful
Original post by Wolfy^
One other option is tracking down the email address of that hospital's HR department. They are the ones usually handling work experience placements, and will email you back to tell you exactly what you need to do and how.

The only time I had to actually talk on the phone was when setting a date for an informal interview to decide where my placement is going to be.

#LE: And I got negged because I was sharing my experience and trying to help? What?

Welcome to the world of TSR.
Original post by Wolfy^

i would prefered to write an email but they don't have an email or work experience department....so thanks anyway:smile:
Original post by bluepearl
i would prefered to write an email but they don't have an email or work experience department....so thanks anyway:smile:

Why don't you try challenging yourself and maybe ring around too?
It's essential that you have excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and if you feel you're not confident over the phone, then actually ringing people might help?
Just try it out and see what happens. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for your reply , i would have to do it anyway to make the placement, at least wil get experience from it right :smile:
Hi

i don't know which department in hospital will be useful in my carrer choice

therefore i don't know which department i should pick ....

pls can you give me some suggestions

Many regards :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending