The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just got accepted for my work experience :biggrin:

It is for 5 days and apparently, there were loads of applicants and not many places, so my covering letter must have clinched my place.

It is from the 14-18th July. What will happen during the WE?
Depends where it is and who it is with. If it is an organised scheme you might find that you get to spend time in different places, like a morning with one consultant and an afternoon with another, this should give you a good chance to talk to a lot of different people in the hospital from different departments
It is organised at MayDay Hopital. Big NHS trust.

We will visit different areas, so should I try to talk to a lot of people. What should I be trying to find out?
Try and find out anything that you want to know about a career in the NHS. Use it as a chance to see how different members of the MDT feel about the NHS as an employer. Anything that will help you make up your mind about whether a career in medicine is right for you really
Alex L
Try and find out anything that you want to know about a career in the NHS. Use it as a chance to see how different members of the MDT feel about the NHS as an employer. Anything that will help you make up your mind about whether a career in medicine is right for you really

Ok thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 45
I'm also worried about the level of work experience I've got; 1 week of observation planned for the summer in a variety of different departments. Also volunteered with a visually impaired childrens charity during the summer holidays and in a residential home once a week.

However I've tried really hard to get long term experience in a hospital/GP surgery through volunteering but everywhere has said no on the grounds that I'm 17. I know that its really important to understand how hospitals 'work' but I'm struggling to see how I can find out if I can't get in one!

Just my own personal experience.
I am 16 and I got one :smile:
RoadWarrior
I am 16 and I got one :smile:

:ditto:
Well, last week I turned 17 but I've been volunteering at my local hospital for 8 months now. Why don't you politely ask why they have this over 18 rule and explain why experience in a hospital is so essential for you?
Reply 48
scaryhair
:ditto:
Well, last week I turned 17 but I've been volunteering at my local hospital for 8 months now. Why don't you politely ask why they have this over 18 rule and explain why experience in a hospital is so essential for you?

When I was invited for an interview they told me it was to do with insurance reasons :s-smilie: nothing much I can do about it really
*~*Jess*~*
When I was invited for an interview they told me it was to do with insurance reasons :s-smilie: nothing much I can do about it really

Yeah, I was told that too. I don't see where I can get WE from. I might pester my GP until she gives in :wink:
Reply 50
*~*Jess*~*

yeah, i was told that too, when i looked into it a year or so ago, though i think they might be disregarding that now, cos i wrote to them and said i'd been told that straight away, but since they've been advertising for help i wondered if they'd take me anyway...and i got send an application form.
so maybe just pestering a bit is the best way! i am feeling pretty underqualified in terms of WE atm though...
RoadWarrior
Yeah, I was told that too. I don't see where I can get WE from. I might pester my GP until she gives in :wink:

Don't bother with your own GP, you won't be able to do work experience with her as you're a patient at that surgery. However, you could ask your GP of any contacts that they could recommend you contacting. Do you have any contacts who are doctors, or contacts who know doctors? Try them.
Have you tried getting work experience through your college/sixth form? I think mine must be providing insurance, so that could resolve that matter.
Also, find out who the Voluntary Services Coordinator is at your local hospital, and contact them.
If all else fails, just try to get WE in hospices, nursing homes or other related areas.

I think the key is not to give up, contact invidual doctors rather than the hospital and keep on pestering them!
Reply 52
mc4263
Did you know the doctor you wrote to or not?

Well I got his name from my mum, who used to work as a secretary in A&E... but they didn't actually know each other and I didn't even mention it in the letter I wrote so I don't think it was that that got me the placement. I'm sure you can find names of doctors in your local hospital online as well :smile:
Just thought I'd mention that it isn't actually necessary to have direct medical work experience, it can be just as valuable to spend time doing something related to the field, ultimately it all comes down to what you can draw from your time there. So if you are unable to obtain a placement in a hospital or with a GP, why not try and do something else for a couple of weeks that will allow you to develop/demonstrate your caring side, whilst communicating with different groups of people (children/elderly/mentally disabled etc). My non-hospital work experience was much more beneficial to me than the time I spent in a hospital, I didn't even mention the hospital placement when talking about WE at interview. So if you're struggling to get direct experience, don't panic, just try to think outside the box a little.
scaryhair
Don't bother with your own GP, you won't be able to do work experience with her as you're a patient at that surgery. However, you could ask your GP of any contacts that they could recommend you contacting. Do you have any contacts who are doctors, or contacts who know doctors? Try them.
Have you tried getting work experience through your college/sixth form? I think mine must be providing insurance, so that could resolve that matter.
Also, find out who the Voluntary Services Coordinator is at your local hospital, and contact them.
If all else fails, just try to get WE in hospices, nursing homes or other related areas.

I think the key is not to give up, contact invidual doctors rather than the hospital and keep on pestering them!

I have got WE at a big hospital, so hopefully I can speak to loads of doctors there and get some advice and contacts...
Reply 55
arpeggio
Well I got his name from my mum, who used to work as a secretary in A&E... but they didn't actually know each other and I didn't even mention it in the letter I wrote so I don't think it was that that got me the placement. I'm sure you can find names of doctors in your local hospital online as well :smile:

So you have more chance of work experience if you write to a doctor directly? I always thought you'd have to know them but if you don't that means I have a chance! thank you
I'll find some names online! :smile:
Reply 56
mc4263
So you have more chance of work experience if you write to a doctor directly? I always thought you'd have to know them but if you don't that means I have a chance! thank you
I'll find some names online! :smile:

Well I can't say for sure - it probably depends on the doctor you approach, how you approach it and how lucky you are, but I think it tends to avoid some of the rules and stuff that holds a lot of people back from getting placements. Good luck :smile:
Reply 57
arpeggio
Well I can't say for sure - it probably depends on the doctor you approach, how you approach it and how lucky you are, but I think it tends to avoid some of the rules and stuff that holds a lot of people back from getting placements. Good luck :smile:

It must make some difference because I know people who have hospital experience but when I wrote to the hospital they always said no!
I'll give it a try I have nothing to lose

Do you know where I could find some doctors names online by the way?

:biggrin:
mc4263
It must make some difference because I know people who have hospital experience but when I wrote to the hospital they always said no!

I wouldn't go online.

I am just gonna visit some local surgeries and hospitals and talk to the doctors. Then they can see and talk to you and you can use your charm to persuade them to let you shadow them :p:

That's what I'm gonna do, but I am gonna look like some crazy stalker :wink:
Reply 59
mc4263

try contacting the personnel department of the hospital, they'll be able to help you. they're most likely the ones who organise work experience placements etc.