The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
mc4263
It must make some difference because I know people who have hospital experience but when I wrote to the hospital they always said no!
I'll give it a try I have nothing to lose

Do you know where I could find some doctors names online by the way?

:biggrin:

Well to find names of GPs in my area I looked in the directory at www.nhs.uk, but I don't know about hospital doctors. I had a look online just now and this website looks like it might have something.

Obviously the personnel department is your first port of call, but if you've tried several hospitals and they're all refusing to have you I don't see the harm in doing it this way. And I think a letter (possibly followed up by a phone call a few days later) is more effective than walking up to a random doctor and asking for experience... this way they can answer it in their own time and they have all your contact details, time you're available etc right in front of them and it somehow feels a bit more official. But whatever works for you :p:
Reply 61
As summer is heading up, i'm going to be starting my work experience.

Luckily, i've been given the opportunity to shadow a doctor at my local GP during my summer holidays. But I've also been approached my one of my mums good friends who happens to be a chemist; would experience with a chemist as well as doctor benefit my work experience for university?

tom

(Oh and hi renal :biggrin:)
Reply 62
Hi Tom. Yes. Provided you can say something useful about it afterwards.
Hi, very sorry if this has been posted before but I have searched under lots of phrases and can't find any information about what girls should wear for work experience? I'm doing work experience in a big nhs hospital, shadowing a haematologist and being on call in A&E for a night, but i'll be looking at loads of the hospital departments... the doctor who's in charge of my placement said to wear something "smart but comfortable", but I'm not entirely sure what this would be?

I was thinking suit skirt, tights and black flats, with a v-neck (not low cut) fairly thick 3/4 sleeved top or something similar - would this be suitable or do I need to wear a blouse (or short sleeves)? Obviously I'll email the doctor to confirm but I just wanted your opinions for tonight please?

Thankyou!
Reply 64
angelmxxx
Hi, very sorry if this has been posted before but I have searched under lots of phrases and can't find any information about what girls should wear for work experience? I'm doing work experience in a big nhs hospital, shadowing a haematologist and being on call in A&E for a night, but i'll be looking at loads of the hospital departments... the doctor who's in charge of my placement said to wear something "smart but comfortable", but I'm not entirely sure what this would be?

I was thinking suit skirt, tights and black flats, with a v-neck (not low cut) fairly thick 3/4 sleeved top or something similar - would this be suitable or do I need to wear a blouse (or short sleeves)? Obviously I'll email the doctor to confirm but I just wanted your opinions for tonight please?

Thankyou!

i think that sounds fine, it would defs have been fine where i did mine. smart but not overthetop. i think i wore kind of blouse/black trousers and stuff, and that seemed to be okay - at least, noone complained. so yeah, basically, i think you're fine, as long as that's comfy. at the end of the day as long as you look respectable, the next most important thing is that you can focus on what you're doing! enjoy your work exp :smile:
Yeah my dress code is strange too.

I don't want to wear a suit, coz it's a bit OTT, so I'm thinking a shirt without a tie and a short-sleeved jumper should be fine.
I applied in 2006 for 2007 entry, but ended up getting an offer for 2008 (long story i've told some people on here before). I was a school leaver. Before I applied I did 4 weeks at 2 different hospitals, 2 weeks of admin at a GP surgery, one day shadowing at another GPs, 1 week at vitalise (was awesome!), two years volunteering in a hospital, 1 yr teaching swimming to people with disabilities, and 1 year helping run a club for kids from a local school for people with disabilities. I did all the usual school clubs and music stuff aswell. I've also been a lifegaurd since I was 16. I couldn't fit it all in my PS so jus mentioned the most important stuff. After I got my offer I worked in admin in a hospital for 6 months, was the best thing ever, I learn't so much so would defo recommend anyone taking a gap year to do this. This has taken me forever to write, French keyboards are rediculously different from English ones!!
Reply 67
I'm going to be doing medical w/e in a free clinic and hopefully with unicef this summer in the Middle East!

How's that for commitment :wink:

I applied in 2006 for 2007 entry, but ended up getting an offer for 2008 (long story i've told some people on here before). I was a school leaver. Before I applied I did 4 weeks at 2 different hospitals, 2 weeks of admin at a GP surgery, one day shadowing at another GPs, 1 week at vitalise (was awesome!), two years volunteering in a hospital, 1 yr teaching swimming to people with disabilities, and 1 year helping run a club for kids from a local school for people with disabilities. I did all the usual school clubs and music stuff aswell. I've also been a lifegaurd since I was 16. I couldn't fit it all in my PS so jus mentioned the most important stuff. After I got my offer I worked in admin in a hospital for 6 months, was the best thing ever, I learn't so much so would defo recommend anyone taking a gap year to do this. This has taken me forever to write, French keyboards are rediculously different from English ones!!

Was that for deferred entry, or took a gap year out and reapplied? :smile:
Reply 68
Yes!

Got a fortnight experience with a GP in July, I can't wait!
I just sent some letters out to the local surgeries today...i hopeeee they give me some experience....:frown:
Also, im 15, turning 16 in August and so farr all ive got as some experiece is in a pharmacy for about 3 n half months...im wonderin if this is anything worth mentioning in case i dont get anything like ever...but i do have a bit of time left so i am kinda overreacting.

At the pharmacy i was allowed to actually handle pills and do old peoples homes dosset boxes...i was like packing/organising them and also was able to be get familiar with regualr patients who came to collect their medicine...most importantly, l learnt that i DO NOT want to be a pharmacist...not personal wnough with patients...so yer can i mention these kinda things in the ps...even thou its like a year away.
Reply 70
ring/write to your local hospital trust, write letters to GPs, nursing homes, hospices - try and set up some long term stuff if possible as well as actual doctor shadowing. anything that gives you an insight into a caring professionn, the realities of illness etc. and remember it's about what you learn, so try to go for things you think will be most useful for you :smile: good luck!
Reply 71
Should I contact my hospital to see if they have any work experience placements? As i'm guessing that I would see 'the bigger picture' of being a doctor.
Reply 72
ekalB
thankyou, but aren't all nursing homes/ elderly care homes private - so would they want people to do work experience there?
They wouldn't cos they don't want you to see how **** they are. :wink:

But otherwise they will just like any other business.
ekalB
thankyou, but aren't all nursing homes/ elderly care homes private - so would they want people to do work experience there?

Why wouldn't they?! Not all doctors work for the NHS... and volunteers reduce their expenditure and can chat to the people in the nursing home, which will give them an extra activity which is sort of educational... the nursing home I asked were delighted when I said I wanted to volunteer there!
Reply 74
Finished my GCSEs last Wednesday.

I was reading through the suggestions, so would getting work experience at a sort of hospice be OK? Like there's a marie curie cancer one pretty near me for people who are dying from cancer. Would that be a good place to volunteer?
DaveJ
Finished my GCSEs last Wednesday.

I was reading through the suggestions, so would getting work experience at a sort of hospice be OK? Like there's a marie curie cancer one pretty near me for people who are dying from cancer. Would that be a good place to volunteer?

Definitely. It'd be better for you to volunteer maybe once a week on a long term basis than a one week stint though, as it tends to show more commitment.
Get started as soon as possible - this looks like a good opportunity, and the longer you go there, the more you will learn about yourself and how to interact with terminally ill people.
Reply 76
scaryhair
Definitely. It'd be better for you to volunteer maybe once a week on a long term basis than a one week stint though, as it tends to show more commitment.
Get started as soon as possible - this looks like a good opportunity, and the longer you go there, the more you will learn about yourself and how to interact with terminally ill people.

Hmm what's the normal amount of time to do?

2 hours a week?
DaveJ
Hmm what's the normal amount of time to do?

2 hours a week?

Maybe a bit more. A morning or evening perhaps - for 3 or 4 hours. But it's really whatever you can manage, or whatever the hospice recommends.
Reply 78
ekalB
tru such as when its been on the news how the people loking after them abuse them - i be so angry if i saw that. (i doubt many do though!)
It's the stuff that doesn't make the papers that really matters - the generalised lack of care and attention.
Priyanka1992
I just sent some letters out to the local surgeries today...i hopeeee they give me some experience....:frown:

At the pharmacy i was allowed to actually handle pills and do old peoples homes dosset boxes...i was like packing/organising them and also was able to be get familiar with regualr patients who came to collect their medicine...most importantly, l learnt that i DO NOT want to be a pharmacist...not personal wnough with patients...so yer can i mention these kinda things in the ps...even thou its like a year away.

could always use family contacts, that how im getting my dental/medical experience and how i got my pharmacy work exp

also pharmacy is just boring, chuck some pills in a bag n here you go, but then again i actually don't want too much patient contact so yeah :smile: although hospital pharmacy is meant to be alot more satisfying than community + ive been advised by all family members not to do community. Industrial looks best (designing drugs) but is the hardest to get into.

Latest