The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Im interested in a future career in medicine, and im finding it really hard to get a placement shadowing a doctor, preferably a paediatric.
Which hospitals did people manage to get placements in London?
And any names of doctors that took you on?

Thankss :smile:
Reply 781
chocobrownieee
Im interested in a future career in medicine, and im finding it really hard to get a placement shadowing a doctor, preferably a paediatric.
Which hospitals did people manage to get placements in London?
And any names of doctors that took you on?

Thankss :smile:

Again - another thread that belongs in the UCAS 2010 Chat thread. Why do the L6th keep on clogging the already clogged Med forum?
FFS not another one. :biggrin:

:google:

Just try browsing some other threads before asking questons that have been asked thousands of times before. :smile:
ADREAM
Again - another thread that belongs in the UCAS 2010 Chat thread. Why do the L6th keep on clogging the already clogged Med forum?

Wrong. If you are going to insist on threads being merged, at least pick the right threads :tongue:

OP, I really don't think you can be choosy over what specialities you shadow, take what you can get :yep:
Reply 784
Alex L
Wrong. If you are going to insist on threads being merged, at least pick the right threads :tongue:

OP, I really don't think you can be choosy over what specialities you shadow, take what you can get :yep:

I think the title 'chat' was a little too simplistic. By it, I meant all questions, queries, worries, etc by the next cohort of medics .....
ADREAM
I think the title 'chat' was a little too simplistic. By it, I meant all questions, queries, worries, etc by the next cohort of medics .....

And I meant that it belongs in the WE Thread :wink:
sorry, new around here!
and yea ive tried browsing, i havent found a thread naming hospitals/docs that people shadowed, which is what im after because its much easier having the name of a doctor to ask?
Reply 787
Alex L
And I meant that it belongs in the WE Thread :wink:

Let's have a truce. It belongs in either! :tongue:
Reply 788
chocobrownieee
sorry, new around here!
and yea ive tried browsing, i havent found a thread naming hospitals/docs that people shadowed, which is what im after because its much easier having the name of a doctor to ask?
I seriously doubt you will get that. I seriously doubt doctors would appreciate being 'recommended' to strangers on the internet. I seriously doubt that anyone here would be stupid enough to compromise themselves by telling you.

Check out the Work Experience thread stickied at the top of this board.
Tbh, you'll probably just get told to fire off as many letters as possible, and see what comes of it
I didn't shadow any doctors when I was applying
chocobrownieee
sorry, new around here!

I really doubt that anyone would 'recommend you a doctor to shadow' on tsr

You don't have to shadow a doctor - you could get experience in multiple areas of a hospital
Alex L
Tbh, you'll probably just get told to fire off as many letters as possible, and see what comes of it

This is always the best approach with these kinds of situation (medical work experience/voluntary work)
Reply 793
No Future
I didn't shadow any doctors when I was applying

I didn't either...
I did a three day organised placement, half a day spent in 5 different depts, with a talk at the end. So I didn't really either.
I wrote to nearly every hospital in Edinburgh and the Lothians! I shadowed in 3 hospitals in the end, with the oppertunity for more. So I really do think you need to just write a standard letter and send it to everywhere you're able to get to!
I have managed to get a weeks worth of work experience at my local hospital for next week. My letter says that the ward I'll be on is "medicine for the elderly".
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea on what sort of things I'll be doing :smile: Thanks
live.laugh.love
I have managed to get a weeks worth of work experience at my local hospital for next week. My letter says that the ward I'll be on is "medicine for the elderly".
Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea on what sort of things I'll be doing :smile: Thanks

Do you know how big the ward/hospital is?

General things to expect would be spending time with various healthcare proffesionals, such as Doctors, Physios, Nurses and Pharmacists, finding out what they do and how they do it. You'd also probably go on rounds, observe things like multi-disciplinary team meetings, and generally get a feel of what happens on the ward.
Reply 798
I'm going to be shadowing the doctors at the GP surgery next Monday. Could someone possibly suggest some questions I could ask the doctors in between patients? I had 'what are the rewards and challenges' and 'how does the surgery operate?' in mind.. =S
Reply 799
smflesh
I'm going to be shadowing the doctors at the GP surgery next Monday. Could someone possibly suggest some questions I could ask the doctors in between patients? I had 'what are the rewards and challenges' and 'how does the surgery operate?' in mind.. =S

what do you want to know? what is it you hope to gain from this work experience? These are a good place to start when you're trying to work out what to ask.

some suggestions though:
how do you cope with stress?
best part of medicine?
worst part of medicine?
what to you think makes a good doctor?

Latest

Trending

Trending