The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

funsize17
Ooh, could you send me the email too by any chance? I'm from Sunderland :smile:.

PM'd
Heya! Basically I have done Work Experience in a Surgery, Chemist, Hopital in India and in a nursing home. I have to complete one more for Y12. I am aiming to go into Medicine, but can not think of any places to go to. All hospitals in our area are booked up alread! :frown:

Any ideas. Help is appreciated!

Tally...

QUOTE ME PLEASE!
Well, I've finally finished writing up a "Supporting Statement of Interest" for a work experience app form and wondered if anyone could quickly check it before I send it off- it's not long and I just wanted to see if I've written anything stupid-sounding in it.
Tally_16
Heya! Basically I have done Work Experience in a Surgery, Chemist, Hopital in India and in a nursing home. I have to complete one more for Y12. I am aiming to go into Medicine, but can not think of any places to go to. All hospitals in our area are booked up alread! :frown:

Tally...

QUOTE ME PLEASE!

Try hospitals further away

typewriter
Well, I've finally finished writing up a "Supporting Statement of Interest" for a work experience app form and wondered if anyone could quickly check it before I send it off- it's not long and I just wanted to see if I've written anything stupid-sounding in it.

PM me it or post it in here. But if its in here quote me
Tally_16

Tally...

QUOTE ME PLEASE!

work experience doesn't have to be medical e.g. in a hospital/GP. Anything in a caring role is fine and you might get more out of it than simply shadowing a doctor. I would try do-it.org.uk
Thats where I found most of my work experience from or got ideas.
Good luck xxxx
Reply 1785
1 week work in parasitology lab
1 and a half week work in bacteriology lab
3 weeks at hospital in Africa working at the wards
1 week in surgical department of hospital. Assisting the surgeon in a cleft lip surgery towards the end of my experience
1 week work at Maxillofacial unit. Working with a Dentist and facial experts
2 years work as Pharmacy assistant
5 years summer time voluntary work for Africa cleft lip foundation. Including da usual extra curricular, prefect, peer mentor.. blah blah. Hope this is enough
Heya

Writing up my Personal Statement, and basically over the last 12 years I have done karate once a weeks. I am now a 2nd dan black belt.

I have been instructing beginners in our class voluntarily for three years. Can I put this in my Personal Statement as work expereince? I think I can as it shows leadership, it is voluntary and similar experiences as a teaching assistant.

What do you think, I am applying for Medicine btw.

QUOTE ME PLEASE.
Tally_16
Heya

Writing up my Personal Statement, and basically over the last 12 years I have done karate once a weeks. I am now a 2nd dan black belt.

I have been instructing beginners in our class voluntarily for three years. Can I put this in my Personal Statement as work expereince? I think I can as it shows leadership, it is voluntary and similar experiences as a teaching assistant.

QUOTE ME PLEASE.

I think that's fantastic! But perhaps put it under extracurriculars instead?
Tally_16
Heya

QUOTE ME PLEASE.

It's not WE; it's extracurricular.
I'm going to start filling out application forms and stuff to work in hospitals for experience etc.
Will i need to approach specific hospitals for a placement or can i just use the voluntary application form for hospitals?

They can all be different and the same - it depends on the hospital's definition but voluntary work is the one most usually different as its definitely no pay and just any old work not real experience you need or an aim to show you the workings of the hospital or anyone being a mentor etc.
Nope,work experience is specifically shadowing doctors,so to do that you'll have to fill out a set of different forms...contact your hospital's Human Resources/Work Experience department and they'll let you know what they can offer...also,it can be useful to get some exp in a GP surgery,so I'd suggest you ring up a couple that you'd like to get some exp in :smile:
Depends on the hospital in some the same people that organise voluntary work also organise work experiance others this isnt the case.
What you need to do is fill in one form for your voluntary work. Then contact the hospital (try PALS or human resources) about work experiance. You can also try writting or emailing every GP practice in the local area.

Best of luck
Tally_16
Heya

QUOTE ME PLEASE.

Its not work experiance it extracuricular. You can and should write about it for the reasons you said but you also need to write about your actual work experiance/shadowing.

Best of luck with your application
brokenangel
Depends on the hospital in some the same people that organise voluntary work also organise work experiance others this isnt the case.
What you need to do is fill in one form for your voluntary work. Then contact the hospital (try PALS or human resources) about work experiance. You can also try writting or emailing every GP practice in the local area.

Best of luck

Thanks. :smile:
I'm guessing you've done this before, so when did you complete your placement? Did you do it on school days(when you were free), weekends or in the holidays?
LikeAStar
Thanks. :smile:
I'm guessing you've done this before, so when did you complete your placement? Did you do it on school days(when you were free), weekends or in the holidays?

oh boy have i done it before, our school had us all do a week work experiance which i did in a hospital. 2 weeks GP summer between year12 and 13. Every wednessday in 2nd year of degree is planned to be spent at a GP practice and 2weeks of the easter holidays in second year is also planned in a hospital.

Voluntary work i used to do on a night after sixth form and at a youth club on a Sunday
What's the best way to approach hospitals/GPs for work experience?
kerb123
What's the best way to approach hospitals/GPs for work experience?

The best way would be to contact the hospital's Human Resources/Work Experience department...give them a call(don't bother with email) and find out if they can arrange something...if that's not possible,there may be opportunities to volunteer in the wards :biggrin:

As for doing exp at a practice,it'd be best to contact them by phone directly,or even talk to the GPs if you have an appointment with them...bear in mind though,that because of confidentiality issues you might not be able to get a placement at a surgery.
Thanks, I'll give that a go:smile:
SyedT
The best way would be to contact the hospital's Human Resources/Work Experience department...give them a call(don't bother with email) and find out if they can arrange something...if that's not possible,there may be opportunities to volunteer in the wards :biggrin:

As for doing exp at a practice,it'd be best to contact them by phone directly,or even talk to the GPs if you have an appointment with them...bear in mind though,that because of confidentiality issues you might not be able to get a placement at a surgery.

so writing letters is a waste of time?
what number do i call, ill just get to the receptionist who will probs say no.
I have written letters to the practice manager of each, should i send them or not bother?xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending