The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

hello i am from uruguay, an i want to know whwre i can find the book of the extended essay that that says all the information you need to do it
Reply 381
yes.. i've found one:
how to generate renewable energy from Venturi effect.. but its quite hard topic to do.. any other idea pls??
Reply 382
I did mine in hydraulics, just finishing off today to submit it. I think I spent a good 80 hours on this and it is 7000 words long (3000 in appendix). But I learned so much it's unbelievable! However, I would encourage you to do one in Maths. I would much rather sit down and think about theoretical formulas without having the onus of extensive analysis or even any implicit application. An experiment for Venturi effect would be hard but if you connect the idea of renewable energy and Venturi effect well, then you should do a theoretical paper. Math will be harder to begin but the write-up will be cake work. I've read around 5-7 extended essays on Physics and kind of know exactly what you have to have from a students perspective. How do you plan to treat the topic you have?
Reply 383
hey everyone, I'm kinda new here but i have a question on my EE. Do you all think that "How the Monroe Doctrine has affected US Latin-American Relations" is too broad of a topic?
Reply 384
i think i will make first an experiment to see how does it works.
based on the data that i'll got at the end, i will explain if it's a suitable power source or not.

how can you write it as a math EE?
what kind of theoretical formulas can you discover?
thx
Reply 385
Luca
i think i will make first an experiment to see how does it works.
based on the data that i'll got at the end, i will explain if it's a suitable power source or not.

how can you write it as a math EE?
what kind of theoretical formulas can you discover?
thx

i think your topic seems a little subjective at this point. and remember you want something purely theoretical rather than purely empirical (life and death right here). ultimately, best extended essays are those that have a definite answer (rather than...yes it's a suitable source...but you might get away with a good balanced argument). you should delve into this topic a little more...often times people have a general idea (like you) and end up with something neat when they really know how they work.

haha and i was advising a math paper on a different topic:p:
Is doing math EE a completely crazy thought, considering that HL math is not incredibly easy for me already? If you've done a chemistry or math EE before, what were your topics, what grade did you get and what were the major difficulties in your essay? Does the teacher affect a lot in the essay (I heard that you need to have a good relationship with your supervisor since he'll be the one who gives you an interview and write a report to be sent to the IB)?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Reply 387
Generally, teacher pwns subject when it comes to the EE. That's true even considering Maths, which normally elicits a response like "OMG donttt do eet!! You crazzy?!!". In your situation I suppose I'd regretfully take Maths as a 'least worst' option.

Do you have any thoughts about topics yet for either subject? That might be the deciding factor.
I'd probably go for Chemistry. It seems that your maths teacher would be a really good supervisor, however, you will be writing the essay. The help he/she is allowed to give you is limited. So it might be best to choose a subject which you feel comfortable with.
Also, you will have lots of resources(Internet/local library/TSR forums) to work with when determining your question/methodology, etc. so it will be possible to compensate for the absence of a supervisor with EE or IB experience.
Reply 389
reallyoriginalusername
I'd probably go for Chemistry. It seems that your maths teacher would be a really good supervisor, however, you will be writing the essay. The help he/she is allowed to give you is limited. So it might be best to choose a subject which you feel comfortable with

:no: Although true in an ideal world, I have seen that reality can be very very different. I'm sure this isn't just at my school as well. Some teachers can get so enthusiastic that they'll pretty much write it for you! On the other hand, there will be lazy teachers that are always too 'busy' to look at your work :rolleyes:

Other than that I completely agree with you.
Iapetus
:no: Although true in an ideal world, I have seen that reality can be very very different. I'm sure this isn't just at my school as well. Some teachers can get so enthusiastic that they'll pretty much write it for you! On the other hand, there will be lazy teachers that are always too 'busy' to look at your work :rolleyes:

Other than that I completely agree with you.

YEP you've got it spot on- that's EXACTLY my situation. My math teacher is super enthusiastic, even before i had decided, he had given me all these possible topics. the chem teacher... um... let's just say i have to be very aggressive to get anything out of it.
Reply 391
mysterieux26
YEP you've got it spot on- that's EXACTLY my situation. My math teacher is super enthusiastic, even before i had decided, he had given me all these possible topics. the chem teacher... um... let's just say i have to be very aggressive to get anything out of it.

hmm. I suppose it's your call. I've given my opinion already. If you suddenly dream up a super good topic for chemistry, well remember that it is generally known to be an easier subject to score higher in compared to maths.

Your maths teacher doesn't mark EEs each year by any chance does he? If he's an EE marker then you should have nothing to worry about. Just thought I'd stick that out there.
Reply 392
Hey guyz imm struggling to come up with topics in economics for my extended Essay. I was thinking of minimum wage effect on fast food restraunts. Anyone have past Extended Essay On Economics? If you do please send them to [email protected].

Much is appreciated! Hope you guys can help thxxx
Reply 393
You can find some of them here: http://www.tedbursa.k12.tr/ib/ The website is called '50 Excellent EE', so maybe you'll find something useful or inspiring there :smile:
Subject: History
Question: "Even though the LTTE was the prime suspect, why was there speculation on Rajiv Gandhi's Murder?

Or should I do one in Economics compared to this question?
Reply 395
oii mate thx a lot!
Hi everyone!
My first post on here :P

I'm in the second year of IB, and I recently changed my EE topic from economics to english...so I'm in a bit of trouble :frown:

I'm thinking about comparing romance in Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice... but i'm pretty sure that's too broad. :confused: could anyone maybe help me focus that question?
Or suggest any better books for this kind of topic?

anything really...kind of desperate atm :eek3:

Reply 397
I need some help.

I am contemplating whether to do my extended essay in English literature. And this is my topic so far. "How does blood brothers portray the role of nurture in personality as opposed to the natural aspect?"

I was wondering if this is a suitable topic or if it is to broad? If anyone has any ideas for me I would be very thankful
Reply 398
Hey people...im doing my ITGS EE on social networking sites. i need help in two things:

1)This is my title: Apart from youngsters/students, why are parents and teachers joining social networking sites?....well i need help in rephrasing it.

2) How do i go about it??

Im very confused :s-smilie: can anyone help pls
Reply 399
hi people,
I've recently switched to biology and need to formulate the research question in 2 weeks time :frown:
for the last few weeks I've been thinking about doing the effect of different wavelengths of light on the photosynthetic circadian rhythm of cyanobacteria - but my supervisors said that I need to make it personal. Am I going in the right direction, or should I go back and consider fields other than microbiology?

Thanks for the help, :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending