The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I just need a few pointers/ tips for my extended essay

So for my topic I am planning to take different brands of water
such as Dasani and compare it with regular tap water. Using the Winkler titration i want to measure the amount of dissolved oxygen in each sample and talk about whether brands such as Dasani really do have "better" water than tap water. ( Higher amount of dissolved oxygen is healthier)

I just would like to know if this is a good topic and if I'm on the right path
Khan911
I just need a few pointers/ tips for my extended essay

So for my topic I am planning to take different brands of water
such as Dasani and compare it with regular tap water. Using the Winkler titration i want to measure the amount of dissolved oxygen in each sample and talk about whether brands such as Dasani really do have "better" water than tap water. ( Higher amount of dissolved oxygen is healthier)

I just would like to know if this is a good topic and if I'm on the right path

I actually like this topic. I am just a bit concerned about whether or not a) this question will be large enough for an EE and b) whether this question isn't already obvious (e.g. has been examined extensively).
Reply 582
i dont think this topic has already been examined ( from research I have already conducted) in terms of dissolved oxygen in the water samples. I'm wondering if I can somehow make this longer though.. I know theres lots of information about dissolved oxygen and i can talk about that from a Chemistry perspective. My ideas of making it longer are

A)Maybe comparing more brands other than Dasani such as Aquafina and Evian. Not sure if that would make it any longer other than just more data to calculate which doesnt count for the word count

B) Bring another factor into this experiment. Does time affect the amount of dissolved oxygen in the samples of Dasani water and regular tap water? Lets say i did the titration once and after 2-3 weeks do it agian on the same water sample. Will the amount of dissolved oxygen stay the same in the samples of water?
This does indeed sound interesting, I'm not sure about part B though. You'd have to control the amount of air in the container carefully (buy a fresh bottle I guess?) plus I'm not sure the time would make any difference. And yes you should have around 3-5 different results.

I can't remember whether bottled water lists the % of oxygen in its water; if it does, maybe you could do a section with a comparison between the theoretical and experimental yield of oxygen.
Or you could even bubble oxygen into water? Not quite sure what you could achieve from that but it's worth a think. (Actually this could be a way to show your procedure is reliable).
I would also try to incorporate more calculations, graphical representations, and comparisons: it'll help you get a better grade. Maybe examine the % difference as Glib suggested. I might also consider something else, e.g. what is the effect of dissolved oxygen, expand on that, perhaps have an additional experiment to explore that. Something like that?
Reply 585
If possible, I would consider trying to analyse the content of specific minerals in the water (not sure how, my chem is very rusty, but probably by titration) and compare them to the value stated on the bottle. You could do it for minerals which are generally considered healthy/unhealthy, and that would give an extra dimension to your question of "which brand is 'healthier'" as well as the oxygen.
Mine was very like this - I did 4 different (very simple) experiments on different brands of household bleach.
I actually like jay8's suggestion, so long as you can group it into one research question. (Otherwise, they might penalize you for having 'too broad a topic'.)
Reply 587
Ive checked on a dasani bottle and did some research . They just say they have dissolved oxygen in it but they dont specifically say how much. So ill have to find out with my experiment.

As for measuring specific minerals in water I think that is a great idea, but for titration I need acid base indicators that I dont think ill be able to get my hands on. Like I was thinking of measuring calcium but you need Eriochrome Black T indicator which i dont think ill get my hands on

My school only has phenolphthalein and I cant measure any minerals with it. Unless there are other ways (other than titrration ) to measure minerals in water...Im not sure though

Edit: i found out theres things like Chlorine indicators which are similar to pH indicators. They're like test strips. Im not sure if my school has these but it would definitely help with my extended essay

Im open for more suggestions/ideas incase my school doesnt have these. (Im on summer break right now so i cant find out)
Thanks for everyones input so far
Reply 588
I've changed my topic, and I'm friggen excited! :biggrin: My title is now, "How does The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum serve as a political and social allegory?" Under English ^__^

Random as hell, but I'm quite interested in it :biggrin: All the books I'm reading on populism kinda suck though, since they're so old and hard to find -_-' The only thing I was worried about was that there's a lot of critics who have opinions on it, so I was wondering if IB might think it's not a good enough topic to write an EE on since there's already so much stuff on it D: Comments?
Reply 589
Hey guys, I am supposed to be doing my EE on German vs Japanese human experimentation during WWII. We were told to choose our topics at the end of the school year, and work on our essays over the summer, and I am really interested in the topic but I've been thinking about possibly doing an English paper on Harry Potter instead. I'm thinking about how the death eaters in the books have parallels to the Nazis. So I have two questions. One, which topic do you think is better? And as well, if I were to do the Harry Potter topic, what would that fall under, History or English?
Or maybe another question, if I do my EE on Harry Potter will the examiners just laugh at me and tell me to grow up? :smile:
Reply 590
To be honest, your school should definitely be offering to buy you a couple of chemicals if they might help. A couple of indicators wouldn't be too expensive.

It'd be pretty easy to put it into one topic. Mine was just "Which brand of ______ is best for ________, based on _______ and ______?" That was absolutely fine.

You're going to get SO bored of titrations though :P
jay8
To be honest, your school should definitely be offering to buy you a couple of chemicals if they might help. A couple of indicators wouldn't be too expensive.

It'd be pretty easy to put it into one topic. Mine was just "Which brand of ______ is best for ________, based on _______ and ______?" That was absolutely fine.

You're going to get SO bored of titrations though :P

This, haha :smile:
skauf
Hey guys, I am supposed to be doing my EE on German vs Japanese human experimentation during WWII. We were told to choose our topics at the end of the school year, and work on our essays over the summer, and I am really interested in the topic but I've been thinking about possibly doing an English paper on Harry Potter instead. I'm thinking about how the death eaters in the books have parallels to the Nazis. So I have two questions. One, which topic do you think is better? And as well, if I were to do the Harry Potter topic, what would that fall under, History or English?
Or maybe another question, if I do my EE on Harry Potter will the examiners just laugh at me and tell me to grow up? :smile:

Honestly: none of those topics are sufficient for an EE. You will not get many points for the holistic judgment section of these essays and these really aren't very original, not to mention vague. If you do English, you should focus on the literary features of the work and how the characters are crafted by Rowling. If you choose a history topic... it just has to be more concrete. You are allowed to use Harry Potter, though, but I would highly recommend something more esoteric, something where less critics have commented on it. I don't even think your English topic is acceptable as an IB EE topic.

So, here's the deal.
-Research some more. Read the EE guide. Read critics views on the matter. Reflect.
-Take copious amounts of notes. Make an annotated bibliography and then an outline.
-Come up with a topic and get an advisor ASAP.
-Write your EE in the summer with lots of guidance.

Good luck!
Reply 593
jay8
If possible, I would consider trying to analyse the content of specific minerals in the water (not sure how, my chem is very rusty, but probably by titration) and compare them to the value stated on the bottle. You could do it for minerals which are generally considered healthy/unhealthy, and that would give an extra dimension to your question of "which brand is 'healthier'" as well as the oxygen.
Mine was very like this - I did 4 different (very simple) experiments on different brands of household bleach.

That's a good idea. For my EE (chem) I investigated transition metals in mine water - I used calcium carbonate (lime) to raise the pH, and this caused the heavy metals to precipitate, and I filtered them out. at each pH I took a sample of the water and sent it to some local labs for x-ray fluorescence analysis, so they could tell me how much of each metal was still in solution. Perhaps you could do something similar? That'll give you what to write for "why this reseach is important" - finding out if bottled water contains potentially harmful substances, or useful minerals (like iron). :smile:
Reply 594
Khan911

My school only has phenolphthalein and I cant measure any minerals with it. Unless there are other ways (other than titrration ) to measure minerals in water...Im not sure though

Im open for more suggestions/ideas incase my school doesnt have these. (Im on summer break right now so i cant find out)
Thanks for everyones input so far

Hope the above helps! :smile: (EDIT: my above post, I mean)
I now have an A on my English Extended Essay and ToK papers. I will happily read over anyone's paper in these areas.
Hey there everyone.I'm meant to have an extended essay topic by now.I had one in mind and I planned on sticking to it but now Im not so sure if it's good enough.It's for BIOLOGY.Since I love HORSES,I want to do my extended essay on something to do with them.I originally wanted to try this:

Compare old fashioned training methods of 'Im the boss,you must do as I say' to the newer 'gain your horses trust by understanding him as a horse' as used by Monty Roberts and Pat Parelli and seeing which one gets better results from the horse

OR
Using the methods of Monty Roberts and Pat Parelli on a horse that has been trained using the old fashioned method and seeing if the combination of these two techniques can bring out a better performance level in the horse thus giving competitive riders an advantage in competition

IM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS.Please give me your views THANKS!!
Reply 597
Hi! Although I did a chemistry EE, I think this still applies:
-choose a topic which can be easily investigated
-consists of experiments that you can generate lots of results
-from there, you can base a logical, scientific analysis of results.

It's nice to see that you're enthusiastic about the topic that you want to do. However, have you thought of what experiments you might want to do under the topic? How will you generate your data? If you are using secondary data, a lot more emphasis is put on how you analyse it.

In any case try reading this: http://api.ning.com/files/vKniz5DWj6Nr8WidBChwc36cVXRbr2APLdhZuZ6kukZckK0BmpQLA5PhxGBZIxJbfIn4IoVRNZ8a2OeXUD53v08IMjadV3aG/STUDENTEEBIOLOGY.pdf

which is a guide on bio EE. If you think it fits in with this it's probably alright :smile:
If you have trouble thinking of an experiment you can always turn it into a history paper.
For example, I wanted to do mine of telescopes, which you think would be physics, but I tweaked it a bit and changed it to history. I did how they effected modern science.

Also I think the 1st idea is better as a compare and contrast essay is easer to write. If you have the resources to do it in bio, then do so, if not you may want to change it like I did.
Reply 599
LadyMonsterFace
If you have trouble thinking of an experiment you can always turn it into a history paper.
For example, I wanted to do mine of telescopes, which you think would be physics, but I tweaked it a bit and changed it to history. I did how they effected modern science.

Also I think the 1st idea is better as a compare and contrast essay is easer to write. If you have the resources to do it in bio, then do so, if not you may want to change it like I did.

Ah, but if OP didn't take history as an IB subject, it will be harder. As it is, only the main component of the paper will be marked, ie. only things pertinent to biological aspect of topic is counted in a bio EE, even if the topic is biochem.
Thus if OP does as you suggested, he/she runs the risk of completely missing the point and consequently getting marked down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending