The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi, i'm kind of stuck in my biology extended essay...
its a qualitative lab, therefore there are lots of words to describe those observations and its features. and sadly no quantitative data (crap.)

Ok well its a MICROBIOLOGY lab on Food Spoilages (but not really, since i dont have such a good knowledge on it...and well i have lots of description and words in the colony morphology section.
It's well organised in a table though. And I heard that tables don't really count in the essay. And since this qualitative data is pretty much necessary i cant eliminate it. plus, detailed data is good right? Ugh, i wish i had numeric quantitative data, would be so much easier, cause those numbers FOR SURE dont count right?

Anyways, my question is, Do any of you know whether this Qualitative Data, placed in a table, counts in my 4000 word count or no?? Cause its about 1000 words long. Yeah. :\
My supervisor is unsure as well, he basically told me to check the EE guide and see, but i'm still not sure.

Any help, suggestions, opinions, comments, or whatever would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
A very confused IB student currently stuck in a very confusing EE situation. (this question is one of my many issues :P)
i'm doing my EE in physics and can't think of a topic :confused: ... could someone please help?
i was thinking about something related to space or aviation, maybe both, but it must involve an experiment.
thanks
Original post by livelaughlove13
Hi, i'm kind of stuck in my biology extended essay...
its a qualitative lab, therefore there are lots of words to describe those observations and its features. and sadly no quantitative data (crap.)

Ok well its a MICROBIOLOGY lab on Food Spoilages (but not really, since i dont have such a good knowledge on it...and well i have lots of description and words in the colony morphology section.
It's well organised in a table though. And I heard that tables don't really count in the essay. And since this qualitative data is pretty much necessary i cant eliminate it. plus, detailed data is good right? Ugh, i wish i had numeric quantitative data, would be so much easier, cause those numbers FOR SURE dont count right?

Anyways, my question is, Do any of you know whether this Qualitative Data, placed in a table, counts in my 4000 word count or no?? Cause its about 1000 words long. Yeah. :\
My supervisor is unsure as well, he basically told me to check the EE guide and see, but i'm still not sure.

Any help, suggestions, opinions, comments, or whatever would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
A very confused IB student currently stuck in a very confusing EE situation. (this question is one of my many issues :P)

According to the EE general guide:

The upper limit is 4,000 words for all extended essays. This upper limit includes the introduction, the body, the conclusion and any quotations, but does not include:
· the abstract
· acknowledgments
· the contents page
· maps, charts, diagrams, annotated illustrations and tables
· equations, formulas and calculations
· citations/references (whether parenthetical or numbered)
· footnotes or endnotes
· the bibliography
· appendices.

So, I'd assume it doesn't count in your word count...
Reply 783
I am currently doing the extended essay i havent started and i am thinking of doing it on the Gulf War
and need help with a topic question
any suggestion??
Reply 784
Okay, before I get the whole "writing an essay in a science is suicide" crap again, I need help with my extended essay. I've got a whole list of other complaints about the stupid college I go to because they can't even run the course properly, but that's a different matter. Big rant prepared here, so, apologies folks. Firstly, the problem is my subject choice - the course is government funded and so we have limited subject choice. I'm studying English (obviously), French B, Economics, Chemistry, Maths (again obviously) and Biology. English I hate, so that's out. Economics places have all been taken so that's out too. I am very good at French but I'm not fluent… so again, out.

Given that I want to study Chemical Engineering, I think writing in a science is best. Maths is a bit silly because I'm good at it, but we've been advised not to do it, and also I have no idea what to write about. Biology would be fine but I've never done it before and knowing me, I'd be more tempted to do a forbidden cross-curricular (ie Biochemistry type thing). I should add that we've been given NO guidance as to which subject to choose... so I've done my own reasoning and I really do think Chemistry is best for me - I'm very good at it, I enjoy it and I want to study it in some form at uni.

Anyway, so I had a whole list of topic titles or areas of investigation (mostly by myself, some with guidance from friends at uni), but unfortunately my lecturer "broke his ankle" (then went and bloody did a PhD, conveniently) and we now have a lecturer who isn't even IB TRAINED! (Complained about this to IB no less). I asked him if he'd be my supervisor, but he went and turned round and said no because he didn't "have expert knowledge". He doesn’t seem to know anything about IB, or the Extended Essay… ie, he knows nothing about time limits, the "5 hour max supervision" rule.. nothing.

To be honest, we haven’t been told anything really, other than “choose a topic, ask the lecturer, follow deadline dates” and so I have no idea what to do. My course leader is crap and doesn’t particularly seem to care about anything; I can’t ask for advice because it’s completely useless. Given we have to have stuff submitted soon I really need help, which I can’t get from anyone at the stupid college, so I’m asking on here.

I need to know: are there any protocols for labs etc? Do you have to have someone from the place of education be a Supervisor?
Even some friendly advice would be much appreciated. I’m actually tearing my hair out because IB at the stupid college I go to is bad enough without this.. Anyway, sorry for the rant folks but as you can see I’m desperate! Thanks :smile:
Reply 785
Hi I am new to TSR so I hope I am doing this right. I am an IB junior and my final rough draft is due before i go on summer vacation and I still don't have a topic. I really want to do human rights and I have been informed about how hard it is but it is a category that means a lot to me. Any way I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice.
Reply 786
Hello everyone,
I decided to write my EE in Human Rights, but my school opened IB just this year, so the teachers are kind of confused and don't know what to do. I wanted to ask if any of you have written (or is writing) EE in human rights - and if yes, what is your topic? Or maybe you've heard about sbd's EE in this topic? I'll be greatful for any help, as I don't know what to do... I've of course tried reading the EE guide, but all the topics there are very broad and general, and I don't want to write this kind of academic nonsense-discussion.
Thanks!
Reply 787
well, what about human rights?
the whole point of an extended essay is that is has to be a very sharply focused research project

so maybe history?
to what extent did X incident in history formulate X change in human rights edicts

orrr philosphy
how important is the concept of human rights to man's separation from animals in X philospher's work

etc etc
once you've done that, go and look at the IB's criteria for each subject area
in fact,you might want to do that first

they are very anal, so i suggest you stick to the criteria as much as possible; choosing the right subject to base your discussion around is the best way to get as much flexibility as possible

hope that helps

edit: do any of these research questions help you?
http://production-app2.ibo.org/publication/19/part/4/chapter/15
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 788
Original post by theths

do any of these research questions help you?
http://production-app2.ibo.org/publication/19/part/4/chapter/15

You see, I've already read that an I've got a feeling that they are very braod, and kind of non-specific, and I was suprised. I am wandering if I can do a topic "Where does X come from <reasons in the society> and what could be a solution?" or I thought about compering work (methods) of 3 charity orginasations in one country dealing with one problem and to compere they results. My fear is that it is to narrowed and to focused, and that there is no "human rights theory" whatever it is.
Reply 789
Anyone have any ideas how to bump a "high B grade/'touching on A grade'" (predicted ofc) EE up to a solid A? =.= I'm at a sixth form that just started the IB program (i'm the 2nd year studying there) and man, the teachers don't have much of a clue... my supervisor keeps telling me that it's 'touching on an A grade' but won't give me any advice on how to improve it, and i am so lost. >< i'm afraid that if i leave it how it is, then it will be moderated down to a B. I wouldn't mind, but because of my TOK, if my EE is a B then i should get 1 core point, but if it's an A i'll get 2. i know it's only one point but now that i have a uni offer i'm trying to do everything i can to meet it, and that one point would help a lot...

any tips, guys? i'm doing it in English A. ><
Reply 790
so im sure im doing my ee in psycho. and i wana explore the whole notion of everyone carrying their unresolved issues of the past as baggage thing, cept u no, in psycho terms. I need help phrasing my question rite, and then i need help on what my approach shud be in writing this. like look, i write an intro, introducing the concept, the question, and its importance in the world. and then discuss studies and theories rite, but in discussing those studies and theories am i supposed to retell the entire experiment of a study, and the criticism it recieved? I need to no how to avoid going too much into description....

Anyone got any direction on the matter? Will rly appreciate it =)
Reply 791
Would anyone be willing to read my abstract for me and give me their opinion on it? As in, whether you think it fulfills the criteria or not?

I'd be happy to help you with any IB related stuff in return, be it any of english, french, bio, chem, math, physics or even EE or TOK.

:smile:
Hey guys I'm new here :smile:

I came here in search of desperate help for an Extended Essay topic. I have to hand one proposal in 3 hours, and I have researched and researched but I just can't find anything appropriate. I chose Chemistry as my subject. So please, could anybody help me or give me any ideas? Anything is very appreciated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 793
Hello people, I'm in first year IB this year and my school requires that I send in my supervisor and first proposal by this week or else there won't be enough supervisors around..

I'm planning to do something on Business and Management, though my other possibilities are English or Physics (though I feel I may not do as well if my EE is on those subjects)

Is there any tips or research questions you guys could suggest me, and possibly help point my direction? I'd love to get in touch with you guys through email if possible.
Reply 794
I am planning to do my extended essay in business and management but i dont know what topic id like it to be about. An idea i had was to do it with something relating to business in the music industry since i am also very interested in that section.
Does anyone have any suggestion, advice or tips?

So for my EE in Biology I am focusing on the effects of a certain chemical (I don't want to post it on here) on the body. In order to effectively cover all of my hypotheses I feel that it's necessary to have three research questions. I realize that we're only technically supposed to have one, but I saw on a few Biology EE examples that there were multiple research questions. Is this okay?

Here is the example I am referring to:

http://summit.k12.co.us/specprograms/ib/ExtEssays/PDF/Biology_3.pdf
I'm writing my History extended essay on the Falklands War, and i'm just about to print if off. However, looking at other people's essays, they have broken their essays down into several parts in the Contents, so far I have:

Introduction

The ‘Falklands Factor'

Other Factors

Conclusion.

Do I need anymore chapters/sub headings?

Thanks for the advice.
Original post by k3ro
Anyone have any ideas how to bump a "high B grade/'touching on A grade'" (predicted ofc) EE up to a solid A? =.= I'm at a sixth form that just started the IB program (i'm the 2nd year studying there) and man, the teachers don't have much of a clue... my supervisor keeps telling me that it's 'touching on an A grade' but won't give me any advice on how to improve it, and i am so lost. >< i'm afraid that if i leave it how it is, then it will be moderated down to a B. I wouldn't mind, but because of my TOK, if my EE is a B then i should get 1 core point, but if it's an A i'll get 2. i know it's only one point but now that i have a uni offer i'm trying to do everything i can to meet it, and that one point would help a lot...

any tips, guys? i'm doing it in English A. ><

Hey,
I did an English A EE last year and I was in the same situation... "high B/touching on A..." and honestly, I'm not so sure I can help you out. A lot of the IB marking really depends on your examiner and if you're lucky, you will get a good one. My recommendations, though...
A: Make sure it looks pristine. Visual appearances of the paper...normal font, justified paragraphs, headers, etc.. Make it look like a lot of work went into the paper.
B: Analysis. Research a little bit and try to make sure your analysis is very deep and JUSTIFIED by the TEXT itself. In fact, perhaps you should combat the belief of another critic to serve a point. Just show yourself engaged with the larger issues that stem from the novel/novels.
C: Be as original as you can. If your topic is unique, I guarantee they will be considering it as an A in their heads. If the topic itself isn't that crazy, you need to make your points really interesting. This can't be some run of the mill LOTR or Harry Potter essay...this is something mindblowing and academic. Consider things people haven't discussed before...look at the topic from psychoanalytic, religious POVs, any sort of stance that stands out in your head. Just show you are ENGAGED [repeated point, but I think that's a large factor].
D: Grammatically perfect and readable. It can't be incoherent; your reader should know what you are saying, especially if they haven't read your texts before.
E: If you need help getting your paper to the A, I will give you my EE to read through. While a lot of it is based on luck, I have a feeling that if it's original, engaging and looks really really good, you will do well.
If you need help with TOK, I will send you my A TOK paper as well. TOK = bs, literally. I got an A and I think my essay is terrible-- but it's exactly what they want, haha. The IB are very formulaic--you just need to know how to exceed their expectations. Everything on the criteria--think about what it means and then go BEYOND it.
Reply 798
I did mine in History, "To what extent did Appeasement cause the Second World War?"

Submitted it in November, absolutely no idea what grade I got, I think it was a B, but my supervisor never told me... It's not like I don't see her everyday...
Reply 799
Original post by The Man of the Hour
Hey,
I did an English A EE last year and I was in the same situation... "high B/touching on A..." and honestly, I'm not so sure I can help you out. A lot of the IB marking really depends on your examiner and if you're lucky, you will get a good one. My recommendations, though...
A: Make sure it looks pristine. Visual appearances of the paper...normal font, justified paragraphs, headers, etc.. Make it look like a lot of work went into the paper.
B: Analysis. Research a little bit and try to make sure your analysis is very deep and JUSTIFIED by the TEXT itself. In fact, perhaps you should combat the belief of another critic to serve a point. Just show yourself engaged with the larger issues that stem from the novel/novels.
C: Be as original as you can. If your topic is unique, I guarantee they will be considering it as an A in their heads. If the topic itself isn't that crazy, you need to make your points really interesting. This can't be some run of the mill LOTR or Harry Potter essay...this is something mindblowing and academic. Consider things people haven't discussed before...look at the topic from psychoanalytic, religious POVs, any sort of stance that stands out in your head. Just show you are ENGAGED [repeated point, but I think that's a large factor].
D: Grammatically perfect and readable. It can't be incoherent; your reader should know what you are saying, especially if they haven't read your texts before.
E: If you need help getting your paper to the A, I will give you my EE to read through. While a lot of it is based on luck, I have a feeling that if it's original, engaging and looks really really good, you will do well.
If you need help with TOK, I will send you my A TOK paper as well. TOK = bs, literally. I got an A and I think my essay is terrible-- but it's exactly what they want, haha. The IB are very formulaic--you just need to know how to exceed their expectations. Everything on the criteria--think about what it means and then go BEYOND it.

Thanks again for the advice. :smile: I feel that I have already done everything you highlighted, so I guess I just need to wait and see now. As for TOK, that's already been sent off. I got a D in the essay, same as everyone else in my school. When I asked how to improve it, the tok teacher said she didn't know how. I managed to get it up to a C, despite my non-helpful teacher. ><

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending