The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by risottogrotto
Hi! I've just started thinking of ideas for my EE and I'd really love to do A1 English on poetry. The problem is, whilst I read novels on a daily basis, I've hardly got any poetry books at home and don't know where to start looking for suitable poems - I'm used to simply analysing those we're given at school.

So my question is - where should I start looking for poems to compare? How did you find the poets you wrote on?

I love Ted Hughes' poetry, but would it be a little bit ambitious/unoriginal to compare his work with Sylvia Plaths, given their relationship? I feel like this must have been done extensively before.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Well, I didn't do my EE in poetry, but I did write an EE in English A1 so I can help you a little bit. I would go to the library and get a few volumes of Ted Hughes's poetry and a few literary criticisms of his work. But there are so many excellent poets around-- you certainly don't need to do one with Sylvia Plath (besides, the IB love originality). Go ahead and also talk about Plath if you really want to-- I'm just saying you may lose points on your EE if they find the essay retreads the same ground that other essays have gone through (which may be likely). Comparing Hughes to Seamus Heaney, TS Eliot, maybe even Goethe or Dante or Homer might make for a more interesting poetry essay to the IB.
Reply 841
Original post by risottogrotto
Hi! I've just started thinking of ideas for my EE and I'd really love to do A1 English on poetry. The problem is, whilst I read novels on a daily basis, I've hardly got any poetry books at home and don't know where to start looking for suitable poems - I'm used to simply analysing those we're given at school.

So my question is - where should I start looking for poems to compare? How did you find the poets you wrote on?

I love Ted Hughes' poetry, but would it be a little bit ambitious/unoriginal to compare his work with Sylvia Plaths, given their relationship? I feel like this must have been done extensively before.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Firstly, I'm not sure about this from what you've said - do you know a lot of Hughes' poems and know a lot about them? I would definitely warn against starting your EE on something you don't know a lot about.
Secondly, Hughes is a popular poet and his work will have been used in comparison to Plath's in a lot of EEs, I imagine. The IBO awards original topics far more highly than over-done topics.
The person above me has given some solid suggestions there :biggrin:

I did my EE in A1 English too - if you need any help/have any questions about it, feel free to inbox me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
hello. i'm currently planning on my EE, and my supervisor would not. reply to my e-mails.
so this is my essay topic and would anyone please tell me whehter its a good topic to write about (: THANKSS

its for English A2 HL. in the literary category. (:
Does William Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby share the same point of view on soceity atmosphere after WW1 as Ernest Hamingway does in The Sun Also Rises?
im doing my EE in history and my question is going to be something about sterilization period in sweden. I was thinking of doing something like "was it forced or voluntary" but I dont know if its good to do yes or no questions. Although for my conclusion I was thinking of saying that there are cases where it was voluntary and sometimes it was forced so there is no real answer to the question. Is that a good question?
(I know the subject might be quite unknown but still someone probably knows if its good or not to do yes or no questions :smile: )
I also have a question, do you have to include methodology where you discuss the reliability of your sources and is this included in the word count?
And as a last question, is it bad to have a section on the background since i know you shouldnt include to much info on the actual event but as long as it is relevant to the question it is okay, right?
i would really appreciate an answer, thank you soooooo much :smile:
Reply 844
Original post by The Man of the Hour
I wish you the best of luck. Also, I have to commend you for treating the bonus points like bonus points and not being too preoccupied with them. They don't really matter. As long you are comfortable with your paper and as long as you try your hardest, you have every chance to succeed.

[STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T LIKE CRITICISM]

I can't say it will be easy getting an A (or finding original things to say about those two books) and Criterion K is going to bite you so badly. As for your saying that Twilight is the first book of its kind, I honestly disagree. The genre had already been done to death before Twilight came along; the erotic nature of the vampire has been exploited in other vampire works, and Twilight is hardly "literature" or "a new standard to the vampire tales." I gave you my insight as an IB student who received an A on my paper and I can say that my success owes GREATLY to an original topic. To do that, you really need two original books! It's fundamental! But being this far into your essay writing, it is IMPERATIVE that you not change your topic. If you really want to get an A, as you say you are aiming for, you need to spend a good long time meditating about those two books and think outside the box. Think about psychology, philosophy, other realms of knowledge where you can pull an original idea from...but don't rely too much on the other subject areas. Make it an English paper!
Currently, I wish you the best of luck but be prepared for a C with that kind of topic. If you do what I say...you CAN get an A!

I have only one word for your negative point of view: A!!!!!!!
Reply 845
I'm doing my EE in English B, where I'm researching distortion of meanings when translations are being done, specifically on the effect of using different euphemisms, dysphemisms and adjectives in various translation. I'm targeting a religious text as my text (Bible [New Testament] or Quran as their original language is not English and they have been translated to various languages by various translators).

The problem now lies in my methodology and target group. I'm targeting three types of people, Christians/Muslims who have basics in Greek/Arabic, Christians/Muslims who do not have basics in Greek/Arabic as well as Non-Christians/Non-Muslims and as for methodology, I can only think of Questionnaire. I am afraid that my research may not be able to achieve 4,000 words, mainly because of the lack of variability in my target group and I only have one type of methodology as of now. What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!! :smile:
Reply 846
Original post by shaneli
Hey everyone :smile: Finished with exams! So glad. Anyway, I did my EE in English and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did poems by Christina Rossetti and Sylvia plath, but I'd be happy to help/ give advice on any english EEs, including novels.

Choose your subject and topic wisely! I don't mean to sound pedantic, and I'm sure you've heard this a billion times before, but yes, it really IS terribly important to be genuinely interested in your topic. I changed mine about five times before I found my poems. :smile:

Hi,

I'm doing an English A1 EE and I'm interested in doing symbolism in "The Book Thief". However I'm worried that the book might seem too "childish" and not up to par in terms of difficulty and complexity to books in the English A1 list. Do you think that the book is to "easy", or is it fine for me to do? =/ Thanks so much!
Hi, fellow students

I'm from Indonesia and i'm glad i found this forum.
Regarding my EE i'm doing in subject of Biology and it is 3/4 done , my topic are about the 6-MITC on Wasabia japonica . Although this topic is not hard my biggest concern are about the experiment that i will conduct , because there is a possibilities that the Wasabi that i bought doesn't contain any wasabi on it and i'm afraid that my experiment will fail. The concern are if it is failed how should i explain it and are IBO gonna take my reason of why i fail the experiment and can't prove my hypothesis ? .
Reply 848
Original post by idapalmgren
im doing my EE in history and my question is going to be something about sterilization period in sweden. I was thinking of doing something like "was it forced or voluntary" but I dont know if its good to do yes or no questions. Although for my conclusion I was thinking of saying that there are cases where it was voluntary and sometimes it was forced so there is no real answer to the question. Is that a good question?
(I know the subject might be quite unknown but still someone probably knows if its good or not to do yes or no questions :smile: )
I also have a question, do you have to include methodology where you discuss the reliability of your sources and is this included in the word count?
And as a last question, is it bad to have a section on the background since i know you shouldnt include to much info on the actual event but as long as it is relevant to the question it is okay, right?
i would really appreciate an answer, thank you soooooo much :smile:

I did mine in history too. Your topic sounds specific enough but I would maybe go for a "For what reasons can it be said that ... was (in)voluntary" or something of the sort. It's good to argue from a balanced perspective but if your conclusion will be "it's neither/there is no real answer" you may be better off choosing one side and discussing that?
Yes or no questions are fine (such as "Was...?"), but in most cases the essay ends up treating the question as a "To what extent..." one anyway. You just have to make sure in your introduction (and abstract) what exactly it is you are going to argue.

About discussing the reliability of sources, yes you have to do it, but it shouldn't be a separate section, and it is included in the word count. You definitely don't have to do it for every source (I did it for two or three of my total of 15 and kept it to a minimum, but enough so that the examiner could tick the box that it was present). Throw in a couple sentences that show you're aware of the limitations/reliability of a source where relevant. This is most easily done for primary sources, but I did it mostly for secondary ones.

I don't really know how to answer your last question... I mean I expect the examiner will know next to nothing about your topic so you have to give enough for him/her to understand what you are talking about, but I wouldn't include a section with the heading "Background information" or anything like that.

Oh and just as some general advice, there are lots of little technical things you need to do for history EE's which are less obvious than in, for example, science ones. Make sure you read through the history-specific EE guide. It can easily save you quite a few points.

PM me if you have any questions or want a copy of my EE. I got an A.

Lycka till Ida! Jag är svensk jag med :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 849
Hi guys! I'm doing an English EE on The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler and was wondering which topic do you guys think will get me a better mark?

The role of materialism towards a character's disregard for morality in Mordecai Richler's THe Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz

or

How does Mordecai Richler use satire to criticize the destructiveness of obsessive materialism in the Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz?

Appreciate any help!
Someone help me, please, I'm desperate...
I'm writing my EE in English, Group 1, and I'm wondering if it's better to write about 1 book, or 2?
More specifically, would
"To what extent does the violence portrayed in American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis reflect the society in which it is set?"
be better than
"To what extent does the violence portrayed in American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis and Sheepshagger by Niall Griffiths reflect the society in which they are set?"
Thanks!
Reply 851
I want to do my EE in English A1. Which of these is better?

'How is Antiestablishmentarianism Portrayed in Gregory Macguire's 'Wicked' and the Works of Christina Rosetti?'

'How is Evil Portrayed in Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible' and Gregory Macguire's 'Wicked'?'
Original post by tusta
I have only one word for your negative point of view: A!!!!!!!

Well, congratulations! I only meant to say that it is hard to say something original about Twilight that the examiners haven't read before. I'm really glad you did well on it...what you perceived to be negative was merely an opinion of a former student who was told by his IB coordinator that unoriginal topics rarely do well. I'm actually interested in reading your paper now, you smart cookie.
Hi all, I was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice or pointers on a maths EE (something other than "Don't do a maths EE," please). I just don't know where to go with the EE, or how to pick a topic. There are so many different and interesting facets to maths that I want to explore, I can't decide on one. Can anyone give me any ideas?? Also, does anyone have any maths EEs that received Bs or As that I could read to see more or less what I have to do? Thanks in advance! :biggrin: :smile:
Reply 854
Hello, I want to Psychology at university so I'm doing my extended essay in that subject. My title isn't perfect yet but I'm writing about the causes of autism and whether it is biological or psychological. I know what studies I want to put into the essay but I am finding it particularly difficult to find them. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a website which might be useful to me?
Reply 855
Original post by lottie :)
Hello, I want to Psychology at university so I'm doing my extended essay in that subject. My title isn't perfect yet but I'm writing about the causes of autism and whether it is biological or psychological. I know what studies I want to put into the essay but I am finding it particularly difficult to find them. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a website which might be useful to me?

Try your public library website. They often subscribe to sources like JSTOR or Gale Cengage. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you know what studies you want to include if you can't access the studies? Do you mean that you've already read the studies elsewhere? Or that you know what *types* of studies you want to look at?

@Mathsman: I only did Maths SL, so it's difficult for me to recommend a maths topic. I presume you're doing Maths HL? Have you talked to your teacher/advisor about it? They would probably be able to give you some advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 856
Original post by illu45

Original post by illu45
Try your public library website. They often subscribe to sources like JSTOR or Gale Cengage. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you know what studies you want to include if you can't access the studies? Do you mean that you've already read the studies elsewhere? Or that you know what *types* of studies you want to look at?

@Mathsman: I only did Maths SL, so it's difficult for me to recommend a maths topic. I presume you're doing Maths HL? Have you talked to your teacher/advisor about it? They would probably be able to give you some advice.

I've read around the causes of autism in Psychology books. They mentioned some studies which had been conducted, so I looked in the references and found the names of the books containing the studies. I just now can't find the books :/
Reply 857
If you don't want to do your EE

LOOK NO FURTHER!

lool

I did an Access Course two years ago.. & failed :\ Not good, I know.. I did all the work, just my attendance & attitude was all wrong. So I have an EE completed, that you can have. It's on 'Aggression' complete with bibliography

Just send me a PM.

:colondollar:
Reply 858
Original post by Jam3sey
If you don't want to do your EE

LOOK NO FURTHER!

lool

I did an Access Course two years ago.. & failed :\ Not good, I know.. I did all the work, just my attendance & attitude was all wrong. So I have an EE completed, that you can have. It's on 'Aggression' complete with bibliography

Just send me a PM.

:colondollar:

...Yeah, you should delete this. You could get into trouble for it on this website, and what's more if anyone actually took you up on your offer and the IBO found out, they could be disqualified from the program for plagiarism.
Reply 859
Original post by lottie :)

Our school gave us tons of databases that are SO amazingly helpful! I think you have to sign up for a majority of them - which is annoying - but trust me, they really help. Your school might also have an account that you can possibly sign in from instead of registering (maybe ask your school librarians?)

Theres:

http://www.questiaschool.com <-77,000+ e-books
http://search.ebscohost.com <- AMAZING
http://search.eb.com <- Encyclopedia Britannica Online
http://www.jstor.org <- scholarly journals
httpL//muse.jhu.edu <- Might cost money...
http://go.grolier.com <- encyclopedia and references
http://streaming.factsonfile.com <- videos
http://infoweb.newsbank.com <- newspapers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending