The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for Université de Rennes 1&2 and will probably be able to help you if you need info about anything (in France, about unis, cities, etc), though I'm hoping I won't end there, looool.
Reply 2
I'll be in France by late September this year, at Sciences Po Paris's satellite campus in Le Havre... It'll be my first time in the country! I'd love to be able to meet somebody from here :smile: Where will you be, Alex?
Reply 3
krysoberyl
I'll be in France by late September this year, at Sciences Po Paris's satellite campus in Le Havre... It'll be my first time in the country! I'd love to be able to meet somebody from here :smile: Where will you be, Alex?

grenoble hopefully:biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi all,

I come from france & I live in Paris.. If you have any questions about the courses, the university & business schools ranks.. Do not hesitate to contact me :wink:

Just for your information krysoberyl, "Le Havre" is near the sea but the weatther is bad & this is not a beautiful city.. Anyway Sciences Po Paris is ont of the best french program

Alex, grenoble is a very beautiful city.. U'll better yourself in ski :wink:
Reply 5
Alexthepenguin
grenoble hopefully:biggrin:

I spent a few months in Grenoble on exchange last year (i left early though :frown: ). What university are you going to there?
Reply 6
midnight
I spent a few months in Grenoble on exchange last year (i left early though :frown: ). What university are you going to there?

INPG hopefully...
Reply 7
I'll be au pairing in Grenoble from September I hope :smile: xxxx
Reply 8
I'll be in Bordeaux for 1st semester of my year abroad
Reply 9
I thought of applying to the University of Bordeaux, but I'm not sure...

If I get rejected from all my British universities then I'm going to see if the French want me. :p:
Reply 10
P.S. You know how for UCAS you get 5 university choices, is it possible to apply for foreign universities on top of those? (I'm just assuming you don't do foreign universities through UCAS)
Reply 11
kjc_us
P.S. You know how for UCAS you get 5 university choices, is it possible to apply for foreign universities on top of those? (I'm just assuming you don't do foreign universities through UCAS)

Didn't get what you were asking for, but if you need help to apply to French unis, I think I can help !
Reply 12
Anatheme
Didn't get what you were asking for, but if you need help to apply to French unis, I think I can help !

Cool, thanks. :smile:
Which are the best universities for languages? Is it possible to study French and German in a French university?
Reply 13
kjc_us
Cool, thanks. :smile:
Which are the best universities for languages? Is it possible to study French and German in a French university?

I'm not sure you can study French at a French university, or maybe if you have French lessons for international students (it's called FLE, Français Langue Etrangère). Since I doubt any uni in France have degree taught in English, you'd better have a good level of French :s:. If you think you're able to follow a course in French, I'd recommend you to do a Licence d'Allemand if you only want to learn German (and French of course :p:), or to try Licence Langues Etrangères Appliquées (but you have to pick up English + another language so it may not be very interesting for you, lol). Unluckily French unis are pretty crappy regarding International students.

Regarding best unis for languages, I'd say they all are at the same level, I've never been able to find a ranking for French unis, lol. Paris 3, Bordeaux 3 and Rennes 2 are quite good I think. You can also have a look at Lyon, Aix/Marseille or Lille, I think they're the main unis, but here's a list of all unis in France (sorry, website in French)
hii, im currently studing law and french at Queen's uni in belfast and trying to decide where to go in France for my year abroad...i have no real clue about any of the places so if anyone could give me any idea of what the unis are like or even just the area that would be so helpful! so the choices are..

Université de Rennes 1
Université de Bourgogne (Dijon) 1
Université Jean Moulin - Lyon 3
Université des Sciences Sociales Toulouse 1
Université de Caen Basse-Normandie 1

Reply 15
Well Rennes is a decent place and uni, probably the best choice you could do academically speaking.

But Toulouse isn't bad either! and it's a great city, I love it.
Reply 16
Mcferlon
Well Rennes is a decent place and uni, probably the best choice you could do academically speaking.

But Toulouse isn't bad either! and it's a great city, I love it.

Indeed, I know my teachers praised the Law course several times and I would probably have done Law there if I didn't get into unis in the UK. The city is very nice, it's not really big but it's lively and it looks nice, with lovely old bits from the Middle Age (like sloppy houses) and more modern stuff like Les Champs Libres. There is always something to do and people are very welcoming, warm and nice. There are some clubs but I think most students prefer to just spend a nice night in one of the zillion of pubs there are in Rennes. La Rue de La Soif (officially called Rue St Michel) is very famous for that :yep:. The Law building in right in the center of the city so you're near everything . Well anyway, if you need info about Rennes, don't hesitate, it really is a nice place and the Law uni is great. I have a friend doing Law in Dijon as well, I can ask him some questions if you want!
Reply 17
laura-sarah
hii, im currently studing law and french at Queen's uni in belfast and trying to decide where to go in France for my year abroad...i have no real clue about any of the places so if anyone could give me any idea of what the unis are like or even just the area that would be so helpful! so the choices are..

Université de Rennes 1
Université de Bourgogne (Dijon) 1
Université Jean Moulin - Lyon 3
Université des Sciences Sociales Toulouse 1
Université de Caen Basse-Normandie 1

a freind studies at rennes, she seems to like it. uni has decent rep, and the student life seems t obe very good.
classical student city... as a very large part of the population are students
Reply 18
bakoua
Hi all,

I come from france & I live in Paris.. If you have any questions about the courses, the university & business schools ranks.. Do not hesitate to contact me :wink:

Just for your information krysoberyl, "Le Havre" is near the sea but the weatther is bad & this is not a beautiful city.. Anyway Sciences Po Paris is ont of the best french program

Alex, grenoble is a very beautiful city.. U'll better yourself in ski :wink:

Help me please! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=851196
Anatheme
I'm not sure you can study French at a French university, or maybe if you have French lessons for international students (it's called FLE, Français Langue Etrangère). Since I doubt any uni in France have degree taught in English, you'd better have a good level of French :s:. If you think you're able to follow a course in French, I'd recommend you to do a Licence d'Allemand if you only want to learn German (and French of course :p:), or to try Licence Langues Etrangères Appliquées (but you have to pick up English + another language so it may not be very interesting for you, lol). Unluckily French unis are pretty crappy regarding International students.

Regarding best unis for languages, I'd say they all are at the same level, I've never been able to find a ranking for French unis, lol. Paris 3, Bordeaux 3 and Rennes 2 are quite good I think. You can also have a look at Lyon, Aix/Marseille or Lille, I think they're the main unis, but here's a list of all unis in France (sorry, website in French)

Im doing that at the moment on my gap year- the one I'm at is basically a language school- its not really a high enough level and of course no-one there is french apart from the teachers so you end up speaking english or at best rubbish french

yeah- I've heard Bordeux & Paris have good unis- but they certainly don't have a hierarchy comparable to the UK

Latest

Trending

Trending