The Student Room Group

Can I ask my boss to provide a UCAS reference?

I am applying for year 1 of ecology and conservation. After receiving not the best grades at A-Level, I managed to get in to do a HND in Applied Biology. Unfortunately due to my mental health, I ended up failing the second year, leaving me with a HNC. I've been out of education and working full time for the past 6 months at a Mcdonalds, where I've been for a year and a half over all. My attendance for the second year of the HND was very low so I don't know if asking a previous tutor would be the best thing to do, or if I can ask my boss from work. He has known me a year and a half, although as It's a McDonalds the job doesn't have much to do with the course. However I do feel like he knows me better than a tutor from 2 years ago. Should I ask my boss to be my reference or should I still try and get an academic reference, regardless of previous circumstances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
No harm in asking
Original post by popper234
I am applying for year 1 of ecology and conservation. After receiving not the best grades at A-Level, I managed to get in to do a HND in Applied Biology. Unfortunately due to my mental health, I ended up failing the second year, leaving me with a HNC. I've been out of education and working full time for the past 6 months at a Mcdonalds, where I've been for a year and a half over all. My attendance for the second year of the HND was very low so I don't know if asking a previous tutor would be the best thing to do, or if I can ask my boss from work. He has known me a year and a half, although as It's a McDonalds the job doesn't have much to do with the course. However I do feel like he knows me better than a tutor from 2 years ago. Should I ask my boss to be my reference or should I still try and get an academic reference, regardless of previous circumstances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In most cases they will require an academic reference.

You can provide a professional reference in the first instance if you like, but be aware they may get in touch to request something from your most recent place of study.

If your health affected your studies, you should ask about how to submit extenuating circumstances info to anywhere you are applying, so that they understand the context of the outcome of your HND.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to be a nominated academic reference...but if you don't HAVE one, then I suppose you work with what you have, as above I'd be getting in touch directly and explaining/asking what they will accept given your circumstances.

When I made the jump from college (HNC) to uni (HND) the college HAD to give me an academic reference, and this had to come from a specifically authorised member of staff and was only valid while I was a student there. Students with attendance issues were pretty bluntly told they weren't known enough to get a reference and basically weren't going to uni. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending