The Student Room Group

Making a last minute ucas application

I’ve been at uni for a year- dropped on so on a year put atm- wasn’t sure about going back to uni. Decided to make an application today. I’ve written personal statements three times before (I’m 20 and have applied a few times before but only decided to go once) so I think I know what to do I’ll ask for feedback from friends/ family.

Will I have enough time realistically? I know the deadline is 31st January 2024. If I get my application done by mid January and send it around then will that be okay? Like I’m not sure if it takes a few days to go through etc.

I need a reference and an old uni tutor has said they’ll write me one- how do I go about inserting their reference into an independent application? Before I’ve used college system so had a buzzword etc but believe I don’t need one now.
(edited 4 months ago)
Hello there, I think you have enough time! The 31st January deadline is for you to submit the application so it's fine to submit it at any point before the 31st, although ideally I'd submit it earlier!

You don't need the buzzword anymore, that's right. I understand that if you're not applying via an educational establishment, you'll be asked to provide contact details for the person providing your reference - that'd be their uni email address.
Original post by EVMD17
I’ve been at uni for a year- dropped on so on a year put atm- wasn’t sure about going back to uni. Decided to make an application today. I’ve written personal statements three times before (I’m 20 and have applied a few times before but only decided to go once) so I think I know what to do I’ll ask for feedback from friends/ family.

Will I have enough time realistically? I know the deadline is 31st January 2024. If I get my application done by mid January and send it around then will that be okay? Like I’m not sure if it takes a few days to go through etc.

I need a reference and an old uni tutor has said they’ll write me one- how do I go about inserting their reference into an independent application? Before I’ve used college system so had a buzzword etc but believe I don’t need one now.

Hi @EVMD17,

That's fantastic news! Congratulations on making the decision to apply again.

Your plan to submit the application by mid-January sounds reasonable, and you should have ample time to meet the January 31 deadline. Typically, universities do have some processing time, so the earlier, the better. Just make sure to double-check if there are any specific requirements or steps you might need to complete after submission.

As for the reference, it's great that you've secured one from your old uni tutor.

Also, don't forget that you have clearing as a good backup plan, and many opportunities can arise during that period.

Best of luck with everything,
Daniel
(edited 4 months ago)
Your referee will need to add your reference before you can submit your application so completing your sections and adding your referee contact details asap is a good idea to give them plenty of time.
Original post by UEA Rep Daniel
Hi @EVMD17,

That's fantastic news! Congratulations on making the decision to apply again.

Your plan to submit the application by mid-January sounds reasonable, and you should have ample time to meet the January 31 deadline. Typically, universities do have some processing time, so the earlier, the better. Just make sure to double-check if there are any specific requirements or steps you might need to complete after submission.

As for the reference, it's great that you've secured one from your old uni tutor. In most cases, the university's application portal will have a section where you can input contact details for your referee. Once you provide their information, the university will reach out to them directly for the reference. You might want to inform your tutor that they should be expecting a request.

Also, don't forget that you have clearing as a good backup plan, and many opportunities can arise during that period.

Best of luck with everything,
Daniel

Universities don’t request references from referees for UCAS applications. The reference needs to be attached to the UCAS application before it can be submitted and sent to universities
Original post by PQ
Universities don’t request references from referees for UCAS applications. The reference needs to be attached to the UCAS application before it can be submitted and sent to universities

Exactly, you are absolutely right, it's exactly like that for BSc! For my PhD application the referees had to upload their letter onto the university portal.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Your referee will need to add your reference before you can submit your application so completing your sections and adding your referee contact details asap is a good idea to give them plenty of time.

Thank you! Do I copy and paste in my referee’s reference or does the referee attach it to my application at their end? Cheers
Original post by EVMD17
Thank you! Do I copy and paste in my referee’s reference or does the referee attach it to my application at their end? Cheers

You add in contact details for your referee. Ucas email them directly with a login to add their reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending