The Student Room Group

Reference when applying through UCAS

I saw there is an option to not provide a reference at all when applying for undergraduate study, but I'm thinking of providing a reference with name, professional and contact details only. Is it likely I will not be accepted into a course without full lenght written reference? Can anyone share their experience
Original post by uni1998qlc
I saw there is an option to not provide a reference at all when applying for undergraduate study, but I'm thinking of providing a reference with name, professional and contact details only. Is it likely I will not be accepted into a course without full lenght written reference? Can anyone share their experience

Hey @uni1998qlc,
Although longer references aren't mandatory, we'd strongly recommend you ask your referee to write a paragraph or two if they can, just so the uni's you're applying to can hear about all the great skills and traits you've described in your personal statement/qualifications from another source, and it can help make you stand out from other applicants who may not have done it! Though preferable, your referee doesn't have to be someone from your place of education, it could be a colleague, employer or family friend who can attest to your character. When I applied I had two referees write me a reference and I got into my top choice uni (Reading!) but of course that was based on my academic performance and personal statement more so! Better to try and get them just to be on the safe side I would say :smile:
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

If you add details of your referee to UCAS then you won’t be able to submit your application to UCAS until that person has added your reference to your UCAS application.

there’s no way to do what you’re proposing using UCAS.

I would bow to the teacher. He gives me the best.
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @uni1998qlc,
Although longer references aren't mandatory, we'd strongly recommend you ask your referee to write a paragraph or two if they can, just so the uni's you're applying to can hear about all the great skills and traits you've described in your personal statement/qualifications from another source, and it can help make you stand out from other applicants who may not have done it! Though preferable, your referee doesn't have to be someone from your place of education, it could be a colleague, employer or family friend who can attest to your character. When I applied I had two referees write me a reference and I got into my top choice uni (Reading!) but of course that was based on my academic performance and personal statement more so! Better to try and get them just to be on the safe side I would say :smile:
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

UCAS applications are difficult to postgrad applications
Original post by PQ
If you add details of your referee to UCAS then you won’t be able to submit your application to UCAS until that person has added your reference to your UCAS application.

there’s no way to do what you’re proposing using UCAS.

So in terms of work experience references for UCAS Undergraduate courses can it be included anywhere else on the form or via the school reference?
Original post by ilovelemons
So in terms of work experience references for UCAS Undergraduate courses can it be included anywhere else on the form or via the school reference?

Why are you trying to include work experience references in your UCAS application? What degree are you applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending