The Student Room Group

Ask a current Modern Languages student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by University of Bath
Hi guys!

I'm currently on my year abroad so let me know if you have any questions regarding this as well!

Katie

Hi Katie,

I'm applying for the same languages as you! (Spanish and ab initio Italian)

I just wanted to ask how do you split your year abroad appropriately with two languages?

Dear Katie

I am studying Spanish, Business and French and am looking at studying in France for my French and looking to working or studying in South America for the Spanish part of my degree. Are you working or studying abroad and do you have any useful hints or guidance tips. Greatly appreciate

Thank you
Original post by dsyd
Hi Katie,

I'm applying for the same languages as you! (Spanish and ab initio Italian)

I just wanted to ask how do you split your year abroad appropriately with two languages?

Hi!

So I'm just doing 6 months in Spain (placement) and 4/5 months in Italy (University). I chose to study in Italy even though it meant less time there as I didn't feel confident enough in Italian to use it in a working environment.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about it!

Katie
Original post by Sarina Shah
Dear Katie

I am studying Spanish, Business and French and am looking at studying in France for my French and looking to working or studying in South America for the Spanish part of my degree. Are you working or studying abroad and do you have any useful hints or guidance tips. Greatly appreciate

Thank you

Hi!

As I mentioned in the reply above, I've split my year abroad into working in Spain and studying in Italy. I did this because I was less confident in my Italian skills and thought that would be a more comfortable environment for me.

I think South America is a great option for Spanish learners since far fewer people speak English there than Spain. I have really enjoyed being in a working environment, however, I think how much you enjoy this depends on both your personality and the company you're in. I would say though that I'm so glad I've done an internship because it's something really valuable I can put on my CV and has given me a much clearer idea of what I want to do after uni.

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Katie
Hi Katie Starting to think about my year abroad, 2022-2023 half French half Spanish. Don't know where to begin. Not had any information from uni yet, no idea how the new Turing Scheme works.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi guys!

I'm Katie, a 2nd year student studying Spanish, ab initio Italian and European Studies at the University of Bath. I am currently planning my year abroad - a requirement for all Modern Languages students at Bath! I chose Bath as it was the only university I was looking at that taught entirely in the target language (unless starting ab initio) and was much more politics/history based than literature based (although there is definitely enough literature content to satisfy any book lovers interested).

When looking to study languages I didn't have many people to reach out to, so I thought this thread could help some people who are unsure about what they want to do or have any questions.

Ask away!
Katie

Hi Katie,

I am aware this thread was made a while ago but I'm hoping a rep for the university can reply to this and assist me in some advice?

Many thanks,
Shreya Rajesh
Hi guys!

I'm Katie, a 2nd year student studying Spanish, ab initio Italian and European Studies at the University of Bath. I am currently planning my year abroad - a requirement for all Modern Languages students at Bath! I chose Bath as it was the only university I was looking at that taught entirely in the target language (unless starting ab initio) and was much more politics/history based than literature based (although there is definitely enough literature content to satisfy any book lovers interested).

When looking to study languages I didn't have many people to reach out to, so I thought this thread could help some people who are unsure about what they want to do or have any questions.

Ask away!
Katie

Hi Katie,

I don’t know if you still see this thread however I’m a current 2nd year student trying to plan my year abroad- im trying to find internships in Spain and France (or just any jobs in those countries)- do you have any suggestions of how to find any?

Thanks,
Helena

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending