The Student Room Group

OCR A level Geography 2019 Discussion

Hiya! Just thought I'd open up a discussion page on what we think might come up in this years geography OCR A-level exam :smile:

The topics that I'm studying are glaciers, physical systems, space and place, global governance and migration, tectonics and disease.

Scroll to see replies

Great idea!

I'm studying coasts, natural hazards, changing spaces; making places, earth's life support systems, disease, human rights and migration :smile:
guys what does 'marine deposition' mean in the coasts spec and also does marine processes refer to LSD and constructive and destructive processes
Have you guys seen last year's paper 1?? It was so horrible, the glaciation 16 marker was on ICE SHEETS and physical factors that influence it?! Also, the 8 marker was about glaciers as a system. The ELSS wasn't too bad except that there was a lot to actually say and I almost didn't finish...
Do you have to include everything on the markscheme for AO1, I included 3 things for the 16 markers but then developed them quite a bit so would that mean I get like 5-7/8 for knowledge or only 3/8?
Reply 4
Yeah! Last years paper for glaciation was awful.. at least they won't ask about ice sheets this year! I feel like periglacial landscapes might come up (i.e pingos or patterned ground) or maybe glacio-fluvial landforms?
You don't have to include everything on the mark scheme for AO1 but there should be a sufficient amount of AO1 that is mentioned in the mark scheme to be given a good grade. AO2 is slightly more important but of course don't forget the basics :smile:

Original post by Khushi.S
Have you guys seen last year's paper 1?? It was so horrible, the glaciation 16 marker was on ICE SHEETS and physical factors that influence it?! Also, the 8 marker was about glaciers as a system. The ELSS wasn't too bad except that there was a lot to actually say and I almost didn't finish...
Do you have to include everything on the markscheme for AO1, I included 3 things for the 16 markers but then developed them quite a bit so would that mean I get like 5-7/8 for knowledge or only 3/8?
Original post by emmaclark12
Yeah! Last years paper for glaciation was awful.. at least they won't ask about ice sheets this year! I feel like periglacial landscapes might come up (i.e pingos or patterned ground) or maybe glacio-fluvial landforms?
You don't have to include everything on the mark scheme for AO1 but there should be a sufficient amount of AO1 that is mentioned in the mark scheme to be given a good grade. AO2 is slightly more important but of course don't forget the basics :smile:

Periglacial is probably the way to go tbh, it will hopefully be something standard like the to what extent does human activity influence periglaciated systems or something along the lines of the impact being greater on periglacial than glacial systems.
I really hope that the ELSS is a little more niche this year, there was just too much to write about in last years 16 marker... I have a feeling that they might ask about the physical factors influencing the water or carbon cycles in either of the rainforest or the tundra... that would be nice
For the ELSS 10 marker does anyone know the mark allocation?
As in the SAMs, OCR allocated 6 marks for A01 and 4 marks for A02 but in the 2018 paper they allocated 5 marks for A01 and 5 marks for A02
Reply 7
I think it just depends on the question. If it seems like more of a 'describe' type question then the mark allocation would probably be predominantly AO1 but if it's more of an 'explain' type question then more marks would go to AO2.
Original post by shreyakochhar
For the ELSS 10 marker does anyone know the mark allocation?
As in the SAMs, OCR allocated 6 marks for A01 and 4 marks for A02 but in the 2018 paper they allocated 5 marks for A01 and 5 marks for A02
3 days left
Reply 9
Honestly, I've never felt less prepared for an exam... so bad!
Original post by cruuuuuud
3 days left
downt to 2 days :frown: I RECKON WE WILL ALL BE FINE THE GEO GODS will bless us
Original post by emmaclark12
Honestly, I've never felt less prepared for an exam... so bad!
How did everyone find the exam? I do coasts (as well as ELSS)
Original post by Scott Barker

It was a lot nastier than last year?
Was so vile ran out of time and only wrote a conclusion for one of my 16 markers, what did you get for the géomorphic processes on the pingo (landform b)
Original post by Ihateale
Was so vile ran out of time and only wrote a conclusion for one of my 16 markers, what did you get for the géomorphic processes on the pingo (landform b)

Frost heave
Original post by Ihateale

I said solfluction. I thought it was an ognip **** ****
Original post by Sarahhill2000
I said solfluction. I thought it was an ognip **** ****

There was a huge debate at my school whether it was a pingo or an ognip
What did everyone say about the limitations of the graph?
What did everyone say about the limitations of the graph?

Intervals too large
There are more climatic conditions rather than just temp
Doesn’t show variation within the months- only the average
yeah i do the same, what did you get for the geomorphic processes question? I wrote biological weathering in the last few seconds. Last 16 marker was great! And for the influence of temperature on stores I wrote about decomposers on terrestrial biomass

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending