The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Extracts in Pre-Release and Exam

If anyone knows what extracts came up for the pre-release for January 2005 and June 2006 it would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows what extracts came up for the Jan 2008 pre-release and exam that would also we great! :smile:

Pre-Release

June 2007: Novel
January 2007: Short Story
June 2006: -
January 2006: Publication
June 2005: Novel
January 2005: -

Exam

June 2007: Novel
January 2007: Poem
June 2006: Poem
January 2006: Play
June 2005: Autobiography
January 2005: Novel

I hope we don't get a play!

Past papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englib_assess.php
Reply 21
Hi everyone,

The pre-release material for the 11th June is on the theme of dramatic monologues, and item 1 is well long.

Hope we can all start comparing ideas on each item, such as what it is we should be looking for and so forth.

Look forward to discussing it.
Yeahh I've got mine too.

Dramatic monologues isn't too bad and it's really easy to get a rough idea of what they'll ask you in the second question... probably something about dramatic monologues we've read in our own reading or seen or something I think.

Maybe they'll ask about techniques... It seems very drama-ish

I like Alan Bennet, he wrote 'The History Boys'

Haven't read it properly yet though will do that after the friday exam!
Reply 23
I've just done a fair few hours on preparation for this exam. Got my prerelease this morning and have been worrying about it ever since lol. I thought I'd be able to get a general gist of what the compare and contrast question is likely to be on, but so far I've only narrowed it down to about 10 options. Oh well.
im pretty certain what the first question will be for the exam...
Reply 25
Prash_s90 - I envy you. lol. Care to share? Or are you keeping it to yourself. =]]
lol wow the secrecy of it all. I'd be inclined to think they'd put in a different genre for the unseen but looking at the title of the paper I wouldn't be surprised if they put in another dramatic monologue. perhaps The Last Duchess by Robert Browning?

Question: they say dramatic monologue is a poem but does that mean it has to rhyme or have some element of rhythm. Is Bed on the Lentils a poem or just a monologue (like in plays) performed... Doesn't really seem all that poetic...
Reply 27
Bed of Lentils isn't a poem.
SophieSomething
Prash_s90 - I envy you. lol. Care to share? Or are you keeping it to yourself. =]]

lol of course ille tell you soph :smile:...itlle probably be 'how does bennett and 'author' present the state of women in both texts' or perhaps something to do with different attitudes to women. They wont be able to ask much more, unless the unseen in the exam is completely different !!!!
Reply 29
prash_s90
lol of course ille tell you soph :smile:...itlle probably be 'how does bennett and 'author' present the state of women in both texts' or perhaps something to do with different attitudes to women. They wont be able to ask much more, unless the unseen in the exam is completely different !!!!

I was thinking women may be one of the possibilities but I've been leaning more towards sex (gender-based and sexuality) or religion now. Bennett's not talking about women as a whole you see, he's writing about an individual and there's no inclination that he is generalising women as a whole. I'm not sure, maybe I'm over analysing it a bit.
Reply 30
got my pre release today and its sooo long. nver done this before
heard of talking heads but never paid any interest to it
im retaking it as in january i didnt get what i need for uni
apparently it might be the last duchess like someone said above
or maybe ulysses

as for questions. i dotn even have a clue
im thinking it might be like how do they present the characters using dramatic monlouge
cause in the january exam the title was isolation
and int he question they just said how do the writers present isolation =|
SophieSomething
I was thinking women may be one of the possibilities but I've been leaning more towards sex (gender-based and sexuality) or religion now. Bennett's not talking about women as a whole you see, he's writing about an individual and there's no inclination that he is generalising women as a whole. I'm not sure, maybe I'm over analysing it a bit.

yep thats what my friends were saying, something gender based or religion. It could be as mine is such an obvious suggestion they might not do it
Reply 32
Lolaface
got my pre release today and its sooo long. nver done this before
heard of talking heads but never paid any interest to it
im retaking it as in january i didnt get what i need for uni
apparently it might be the last duchess like someone said above
or maybe ulysses

as for questions. i dotn even have a clue
im thinking it might be like how do they present the characters using dramatic monlouge
cause in the january exam the title was isolation
and int he question they just said how do the writers present isolation =|

I doubt it will be Ulysses. Ulysses is one of my set-texts for module 5 so it would be a completely unfair advantage for the people who chose Tennyson for their poetry if it came up as an unseen since we'd have already studied it. I think it will almost certainly be a poem of some kind though since one of the pre-release texts specifically mentioned Dramatic Monologues in poetry.
Reply 33
prash_s90
yep thats what my friends were saying, something gender based or religion. It could be as mine is such an obvious suggestion they might not do it

It's still a possibility though =]] Sometimes they go with the obvious choice.
Reply 34
SophieSomething
I doubt it will be Ulysses. Ulysses is one of my set-texts for module 5 so it would be a completely unfair advantage for the people who chose Tennyson for their poetry if it came up as an unseen since we'd have already studied it. I think it will almost certainly be a poem of some kind though since one of the pre-release texts specifically mentioned Dramatic Monologues in poetry.

oh i see. i didnt know that
so i guess thats out of the question then
but yeh its most likely to be poetry which is like my weakest point
thats what was in the january unseen
Reply 35
I Personally think a lot would be on religion and possibly gender...probably examining the adverse effect religion has on for example, the vicars wife as shes being allienated due to his religious commitments...religion is also putting the other women i.e the vicars 'fan club' in their subordinate place in society as they are just pleasing him as even the vicars wife states she doesnt think they actually beleive in God...this could possibly link to how women are also being allienated in society as a theme or better still patriarchy...also as it is a modernist text, and as research states religion is declining in modern society, perhaps it could be the fall of religion...in the beginning it says sumthn about a 'sub-zero' room..perhaps hinting how religion has gone cold...the vicars wife even questions why she has to be in church because shes a 'vicars' wife, as she wants more freedom and doesnt want to be controlled by religion...this is just what i feel tho, may be subjective and less accurate, any other ideas???
Reply 36
Woo 1st ever post, hope this works......
I read the pre-released material earlier and i actually founf item 1 funny, but long:frown: , after just doing a religion synoptic test on women in the church as a part B, i hope women and religion comes up! i also have a weird feeling that the unseen could be a poem, unlikely as it seems i feel 'Mariana' will come up.
Item 3, 6 lines down ... check it out people ... Mariana from shakespear? ...
Reply 37
I'm hoping they might include another Robert Brown monologue yeah, doubt it will be My Last Duchess because that was in the GCSE anthology for aqa, which is a shame. I had a look at Porphyria's Lover earlier which would be good if it came up.

I was suprised to be doing a reasonably modern play i was all set for another 19th century novel extract. i suppose it could be about views on marriage at that time, what with changing divorce rights etc.
And what Demide just said i completely agree i think it could be to do with contrasting views of religion, moral conflicts, maybe isolation etc
Reply 38
hey. is anyone doing Tennyson or Measure 4 Measure on Friday? :s-smilie:
Reply 39
IrishBoyO - I'm doing both Tennyson and Measure for Measure.

Latest