The Student Room Group

Is it worth resitting any of my gcses with these results?

Hi, so I wanted some advice on whether i should or shouldn't resit some of my gcses based on my grades and how close they were to hither grade boundaries. I had already applied for priority copies of my papers for English lang and lit, history and physics.

I waz worried whether any top UK unis and Russel group universities would bw unhappy with my grades as grade boundaries were super high this year and they gave out 300,000 Less top grades. Only 22 %, of the country got grades 7-9. I knoe if i did my exam last year I wpikd definitely have gotten a lot more 9s. Personally I think the grade boundaries were even higher than pre covid 2019 which they were trying to go back to.

These are my grades so far:
History Pearson - 8 ( i got 144 and a few marks away from 9)
Maths edexcel - 7 (160, needed 174 for an 8)
RS Aqa- 9 (193, 11 marks above a 9)
Bio aqa - 8 (122)
Chem aqa - 7 (122)
Physics aqa - 8 (143, 4 marks away from 9)
Spanish aqa - 7 (166)
Music - 9 (214)
English lang - 6 (100, needed 107 for a 7)
English lit -7 (104, 118 needed for an 8)

English was my best subject, I'm super unhappy as i did try and the papers were very strange this year. All my mocks for language I have gotten 8s and 9s but occasionally i woukd get lower but those werw based on pasy year grade boundaries, these were super high b this year. I messed up maths as i had a nosebleed in paper 1 and i was super upset as invigilators clearly saw me and did not help until the last minute. I had blood all over my blazer. Paper 2 i has a migraine but paper 3 i thought i did okay in. My parents are extremely mad as they say everyone did better than ms and i need to resit English. All their friends have kids in private schools like st Albans boys and they all got all 9s ans i feel like it's unfair as they havd an advantage and it's jusg so odd that almost everyone they know have gotten straight 9s as I know they did not try that hard and they can't magically have dond that well but it's nothing to do with me. My parents say universities will look at it grades ans i cannot get indy good universities with them, and definitely no chance at oxbridge. Please help!! I need to submit applications for any remarks by 25th sept. Thank youu
Reply 1
Original post by Swaries
Hi, so I wanted some advice on whether i should or shouldn't resit some of my gcses based on my grades and how close they were to hither grade boundaries. I had already applied for priority copies of my papers for English lang and lit, history and physics.

I waz worried whether any top UK unis and Russel group universities would bw unhappy with my grades as grade boundaries were super high this year and they gave out 300,000 Less top grades. Only 22 %, of the country got grades 7-9. I knoe if i did my exam last year I wpikd definitely have gotten a lot more 9s. Personally I think the grade boundaries were even higher than pre covid 2019 which they were trying to go back to.

These are my grades so far:
History Pearson - 8 ( i got 144 and a few marks away from 9)
Maths edexcel - 7 (160, needed 174 for an 8)
RS Aqa- 9 (193, 11 marks above a 9)
Bio aqa - 8 (122)
Chem aqa - 7 (122)
Physics aqa - 8 (143, 4 marks away from 9)
Spanish aqa - 7 (166)
Music - 9 (214)
English lang - 6 (100, needed 107 for a 7)
English lit -7 (104, 118 needed for an 8)

English was my best subject, I'm super unhappy as i did try and the papers were very strange this year. All my mocks for language I have gotten 8s and 9s but occasionally i woukd get lower but those werw based on pasy year grade boundaries, these were super high b this year. I messed up maths as i had a nosebleed in paper 1 and i was super upset as invigilators clearly saw me and did not help until the last minute. I had blood all over my blazer. Paper 2 i has a migraine but paper 3 i thought i did okay in. My parents are extremely mad as they say everyone did better than ms and i need to resit English. All their friends have kids in private schools like st Albans boys and they all got all 9s ans i feel like it's unfair as they havd an advantage and it's jusg so odd that almost everyone they know have gotten straight 9s as I know they did not try that hard and they can't magically have dond that well but it's nothing to do with me. My parents say universities will look at it grades ans i cannot get indy good universities with them, and definitely no chance at oxbridge. Please help!! I need to submit applications for any remarks by 25th sept. Thank youu

Why would your parenst be angry? They are being unkind ... I don't think I would retake any of these or go for a review of marking. Your teacher could check a copy of your English Lang paper but 7 marks is quite a lot to find.

Unless you plan to do Law or Medicine at Oxford these grades are fine - your results are judged in the context of your school.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Why would your parenst be angry? They are being unkind ... I don't think I would retake any of these or go for a review of marking. Your teacher could check a copy of your English Lang paper but 7 marks is quite a lot to find.

Unless you plan to do Law or Medicine at Oxford these grades are fine - your results are judged in the context of your school.

Hello, thank you so much for your support, my parents were actually screaming at me earlier 💀they said everyone else is doing better and that the normal thing would be to redo English and maths with 'such bad grades'. I got into sixth form as they require at wlast 7 6's or something and took bio chem and psych. Im actually leaning towards medicine ajd law but mostly medicine as most people think i would be great at it as they know me well. I jusg to dream of going to oxbridge since i was a kid, i knew about it since i was 4 as i was kind brainwashed. I would still love to go but i don't think so with these grades. I'm panicking and I'm very disappointed in myself as well and very embarrassed.. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Swaries
Hello, thank you so much for your support, my parents were actually screaming at me earlier 💀they said everyone else is doing better and that the normal thing would be to redo English and maths with 'such bad grades'. I got into sixth form as they require at wlast 7 6's or something and took bio chem and psych. Im actually leaning towards medicine ajd law but mostly medicine as most people think i would be great at it as they know me well. I jusg to dream of going to oxbridge since i was a kid, i knew about it since i was 4 as i was kind brainwashed. I would still love to go but i don't think so with these grades. I'm panicking and I'm very disappointed in myself as well and very embarrassed.. Thank you for your advice :smile:

Cambridge don't look at GGCSE grades and for medicine the uni you go to makes absolutely NO difference..
Reply 4
Cambridge don't look at GGCSE grades and for medicine the uni you go to makes absolutely NO difference..

I had no idea. Thank you so much. I'm jusg confused why my parents are so set on thr fact that universities check gcse grades. There are so many different ideas about yours, universities themselves say that they do not check but my parents and others are set on the fact that they do. I have no idea what to tell my parents as they will refuse to let it go and will just likely try to force me to resit.
Even if universities did focus highly on GCSEs, yours are truly outstanding and will put you in good stead for many good universities. Well done!
Reply 6
Original post by Swaries
I had no idea. Thank you so much. I'm jusg confused why my parents are so set on thr fact that universities check gcse grades. There are so many different ideas about yours, universities themselves say that they do not check but my parents and others are set on the fact that they do. I have no idea what to tell my parents as they will refuse to let it go and will just likely try to force me to resit.

Resits aren't a good idea - some unis will reject resits. They sound as if they need to do some research

Different unis look at different things: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7382775

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/teaching-styles/
Reply 7
Original post by Ellievanilla
Is 999 88888 77 6. Too low to study medicine in oxbridge? Coming from a private school, affluent background. :frown: Absolutely gutted about results

Oxford yes - why Oxbridge though? The uni you go to makes no difference ... indeed many courses are considered to better prepare you for the job.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hannychica
Even if universities did focus highly on GCSEs, yours are truly outstanding and will put you in good stead for many good universities. Well done!

Thank you so much!! My school is one of the best state schools in the UK and so everyone I know has achieved so many 8s and 9s, two of my friends got all 9s and so I've never really thought my grades were good surrounded with these people! I really appreciate that thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Resits aren't a good idea - some unis will reject resits. They sound as if they need to do some research

Different unis look at different things: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7382775

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/teaching-styles/

That's so helpful thank you so much :smile: i love you guys this is so helpful thank to
Reply 10
Oxford yes - why Oxbridge though? The uni you go to makes no difference ... indeed many courses are considered to better prepare you for the job.

I think it's mainly background that influences what people think are good universities. Both my parents are academic and so it's been drilled into my mind too that i should be going to amazing universities like Oxford and Cambridge. I also am worried about my grades likr this person, but I'm not sure what their situation is
Original post by Swaries
I think it's mainly background that influences what people think are good universities. Both my parents are academic and so it's been drilled into my mind too that i should be going to amazing universities like Oxford and Cambridge. I also am worried about my grades likr this person, but I'm not sure what their situation is

Hi, my situation is that I go to a really good private school, and had tutors but still didn’t get good grades. 999 88888 77 6. Private school people are already less likely to get into oxbridge over state school people, due to them having an advantage. And my parents are furious. And Cambridge has always been my dream. I have been there twice and love the building, college structure, academic challenge etc.You got amazing grades and you also went to a state school, so advantage. But obviously all the other components matter and are the deciding factor.
Reply 12
Original post by Ellievanilla
Hi, my situation is that I go to a really good private school, and had tutors but still didn’t get good grades. 999 88888 77 6. Private school people are already less likely to get into oxbridge over state school people, due to them having an advantage. And my parents are furious. And Cambridge has always been my dream. I have been there twice and love the building, college structure, academic challenge etc.You got amazing grades and you also went to a state school, so advantage. But obviously all the other components matter and are the deciding factor.

Hey, I'm sorry you feel that way about your grades but honestly you did amazing, you did a lot better than me. My school is one of the best in the Uk, im just surrounded by super academically smart and athletic and musical People, like everyone is so amazing at everything so I get why you get likr that, it's kinda similar for me. I think every year 3 or 4 people in my school get into Cambridge, less get into Oxford. It's also been my dream to go to Cambridge but with my grades I'm scared it's not possible anymore. You did way better than me. And 11 gcses!! 8s and 9s are the same for most unis. You did amazing honestly congrats. I think you still have a good chance depending on what course you do. Interviews are more important asw abd i think extra curricular. I think we should just aim to do rlly well for a levels and it should be a bit better

Quick Reply

Latest