The Student Room Group

HELPP!! Is it worth remarking or resitting any of my gcses with these grades

Hi, so I wanted some advice on whether i should or shouldn't resit some of my gcses based on my grades and how close they were to hither grade boundaries. I had already applied for priority copies of my papers for English lang and lit, history and physics.

I waz worried whether any top UK unis and Russel group universities would bw unhappy with my grades as grade boundaries were super high this year and they gave out 300,000 Less top grades. Only 22 %, of the country got grades 7-9. I knoe if i did my exam last year I wpikd definitely have gotten a lot more 9s. Personally I think the grade boundaries were even higher than pre covid 2019 which they were trying to go back to.

These are my grades so far:
History Pearson - 8 ( i got 144 and a few marks away from 9)
Maths edexcel - 7 (160, needed 174 for an 8)
RS Aqa- 9 (193, 11 marks above a 9)
Bio aqa - 8 (122)
Chem aqa - 7 (122)
Physics aqa - 8 (143, 4 marks away from 9)
Spanish aqa - 7 (166)
Music - 9 (214)
English lang - 6 (100, needed 107 for a 7)
English lit -7 (104, 118 needed for an 8)

English was my best subject, I'm super unhappy as i did try and the papers were very strange this year. All my mocks for language I have gotten 8s and 9s but occasionally i woukd get lower but those werw based on pasy year grade boundaries, these were super high b this year. I messed up maths as i had a nosebleed in paper 1 and i was super upset as invigilators clearly saw me and did not help until the last minute. I had blood all over my blazer. Paper 2 i has a migraine but paper 3 i thought i did okay in. My parents are extremely mad as they say everyone did better than ms and i need to resit English. All their friends have kids in private schools like st Albans boys and they all got all 9s ans i feel like it's unfair as they havd an advantage and it's jusg so odd that almost everyone they know have gotten straight 9s as I know they did not try that hard and they can't magically have dond that well but it's nothing to do with me. My parents say universities will look at it grades ans i cannot get indy good universities with them, and definitely no chance at oxbridge. Please help!! I need to submit applications for any remarks by 25th sept. Thank youu
Goodness no! Move on and enjoy the next step.

You results are very strong indeed and will not be a hinderance to applying to universities, honestly.

It was indeed a tougher year and you would have got different results last year but that just shows the nature of the system and is no reflection on you. Well done!
Reply 2
Original post by totallyfine
Goodness no! Move on and enjoy the next step.

You results are very strong indeed and will not be a hinderance to applying to universities, honestly.

It was indeed a tougher year and you would have got different results last year but that just shows the nature of the system and is no reflection on you. Well done!

Thank you so much for your support. I'm jusg very nervous especially as i got a 6 and my parents are very angry and want me to resit at least maths abd English. I will probably study medicine or law and i used to dream about getting into Cambridge but I'm afraid with these grades it's basically impossible. I'm panicking and my parents are very disappointed and it's making me even more disappointed as i was predicted much higher grades and I would have gite then if i worked myself a lot harder. Thank you for the advice though i really appreciate it:smile:
I think you should decide what it is that you have a passion for and aim to achieve it (law and medicine are very different careers!). Retaking won't make any difference, close that chapter and look to what you do next.

If you want to go to Cambridge then keep pursuing that. It is higly competitive and finding out really exciting alternative course choices as back ups is key to success. Cambridge is just a vehicle to studying a chosen course not the end game in itself.
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
I think you should decide what it is that you have a passion for and aim to achieve it (law and medicine are very different careers!). Retaking won't make any difference, close that chapter and look to what you do next.

If you want to go to Cambridge then keep pursuing that. It is higly competitive and finding out really exciting alternative course choices as back ups is key to success. Cambridge is just a vehicle to studying a chosen course not the end game in itself.

Thank you so much, I'll take that into account :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest