The Student Room Group

American civil rights

This is for the OCR a2 exam. i have been given the following exam title to do and i i have started making my plan but wanted some input from others. the title is:

The civil rights of African Americans imporved but their social and economic position deteriorated'. Asses the view for the period 1865-1980.

I thought it would be best to structure this essay chronologically, as i would be able to compare the different aspects in terms of development and deterioration. so i would maybe start from reconstruction and te jim crow laws, the move on to the dpression adn world war period and finally comapre that wih the 60's up to the 80's. If you have any recomandations on how to structure this essay please post, or if you have nything about this course in particular feel free.
Reply 1
simply i would do:
political-civil rights stuff
social
economical
within these have it chronologically laid out and have an argument running throughout

show development and deterioration within the topics
Reply 2
supershiny
simply i would do:
political-civil rights stuff
social
economical
within these have it chronologically laid out and have an argument running throughout

show development and deterioration within the topics

but i thought if i seperate it like that i would not be able to make it very analytical and it would be harder to compare. for example if i started with their civil rights then went on to their social how could i bring the economical stuff in the second paragraph.
Reply 3
Civil rights improved = social, economic and political, so the question is contradicting itself. How can the position of the African American advance if the social and economic aspect has deteriorated?

So; I would lay it out cross examining and synthesizing throughout.

So you do not have to necessarily do the social part as a whole chunk followed by political as a paragraph.

Merge them all in together. Show some flair and originality.

You could do a paragraph structure like this:

'The position of the African American did advance due to the Plessy V Ferguson Act of 1898 which set a precedent for xyz, but de facto, there was still bifurcation throughout America. This may not mean that social progress for African Americans necessarily deterioriated, but it simply did not improve.' etc etc
Shuky
This is for the OCR a2 exam. i have been given the following exam title to do and i i have started making my plan but wanted some input from others. the title is:

The civil rights of African Americans imporved but their social and economic position deteriorated'. Asses the view for the period 1865-1980.

I thought it would be best to structure this essay chronologically, as i would be able to compare the different aspects in terms of development and deterioration. so i would maybe start from reconstruction and te jim crow laws, the move on to the dpression adn world war period and finally comapre that wih the 60's up to the 80's. If you have any recomandations on how to structure this essay please post, or if you have nything about this course in particular feel free.

I would probably look at it chronologically too - but with each period's emphasis on the comparative improvement/decline of CR/socio-economic rights. Looking at Reconstruction, for example, I'd probably consider the fairly even nature of both types of rights (eg; amendments and CR acts, alongside things like the Freedmen's Bureau and Af-Am politicians), and then, when looking at the next period, would directly compare the situation (eg; between 1877 and c.1945, both CR and socio-economic situation can be seen to have worsened, esp. in comparison to Reconstruction position - obv. this would be further substantiated, eg; Jim Crow not only introduced, but allowed to flourish!!). Then would examine end of period, where, with movement etc, CR increased, but, as question asserts, socio-economic position wasn't great (eg; ghetto riots). I'd maybe then make another brief division at c.1970, as this is when I think socio-economic position started to catch up (although admittedly very slowly!) with Af-Am mayors etc, and emergence of Af-Am middle class.

Sorry if this is hard to follow :p: You may not necessarily agree with all of my "points", but hopefully they show you the structure I'd use - may not be ideal for everyone, but works for me!!

Hope this is some help! :smile: Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending