The Student Room Group

A level Physics SHM Question

Why does the time period of a spring system remain the same both in air and when submerged underwater given the spring system has the same maximum displacement in both cases?
Just trying to get my head around this concept
Original post by kinghulio
Why does the time period of a spring system remain the same both in air and when submerged underwater given the spring system has the same maximum displacement in both cases?
Just trying to get my head around this concept

Not sure what the context is...

AFAIK (1) submerging in water will increase damping relative to the same system in air

AFAIK (2) increased damping causes an increase in period

maybe you've just been asked to assume the period is the same as a simplification
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Not sure what the context is...

AFAIK (1) submerging in water will increase damping relative to the same system in air

AFAIK (2) increased damping causes an increase in period

maybe you've just been asked to assume the period is the same as a simplification

https://umutech.net/PeriodicMotionII.pdf
Question 2 part (c) from this sheet. It doesn't say anything about keeping the period the same in the question, but the mark scheme says the time period is the same as the graph already given, just with a lower amplitude
I agree with joinedup.
Not sure which exam board, but Q1aii says a lead ball moves in a horizontal circle - try drawing a vector triangle for that one - impossible due to weight, so I'd not trust their answers either ...
(to be fair, part c does say this)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by old_teach
I agree with joinedup.
Not sure which exam board, but Q1aii says a lead ball moves in a horizontal circle - try drawing a vector triangle for that one - impossible due to weight, so I'd not trust their answers either ...
(to be fair, part c does say this)

Its AQA, Im just using a website called umutech, they have all the past paper questions for that exam board by topic. But I agree a few of the answers especially when drawing graph definitely don't make sense that's why I keep having to check them with others.
Original post by kinghulio
Its AQA, Im just using a website called umutech, they have all the past paper questions for that exam board by topic. But I agree a few of the answers especially when drawing graph definitely don't make sense that's why I keep having to check them with others.

If you want to see how damping affect the oscillation, I have attached a graph below

Damped_oscillation_graph_02.JPG
b is the magnitude of the damping constant and T is the period.

If you want to see how the angular frequency change quantitatively when damping is added, see equation (71) in the following link.
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/315/Waves/node10.html

Or

Equation (V) in the following link.
https://www.toppr.com/guides/physics/oscillations/damped-simple-harmonic-motion/

When the damping is small, the period is near to the period of the free (or undamped) oscillation.

Quick Reply

Latest