The Student Room Group

Physics vs Chemistry A level

Hi! I'm gonna be picking my A level subjects soon so needed some advice

I'm picking maths and further maths and can't decide between physics and chemistry

I enjoyed chemistry more at GCSE but apparently physics will be more useful?
Currently thinking of software development as a future plan
Original post by TheFlamingo

I'm picking maths and further maths and can't decide between physics and chemistry

I think it really depends on the area of chemistry/physics that is your strength.
I would advise to check out the A-level syllabus in more detail to see whether or not the topics you liked at GCSE are covered.
Overall I'd say most people find the chemistry A-level very difficult and I wouldn't advise doing it unless you were really into the subject or required it for a future Uni course or career :smile:

For physics I was always told it can be quite useful for maths/mechanics but I personally found it really challenging haha
I mean you could take both (that's what I'm doing) But chem is a looooooot of work
Reply 3
Useful for what?
Software development won't require specific degrees or A-level subjects. Do what you're more interested in and can do well in.
Reply 4
Look at the text books for both subjects or talk to relevant teachers about the step-up to each subject from GCSE.
Physics isn't inherently more useful than chemistry, it depends on what you're going to use them for. Look at the uni courses you're thinking of doing and what the entry requirements are. If they have no specific one of the two then choose the one you enjoy the most.
Original post by TheFlamingo

physics is more related to math and FM than chemistry. especially the mechanics part and SHM etc.

Whichever is easiest for you to get A*, do it.

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I think it really depends on the area of chemistry/physics that is your strength.
I would advise to check out the A-level syllabus in more detail to see whether or not the topics you liked at GCSE are covered.
Overall I'd say most people find the chemistry A-level very difficult and I wouldn't advise doing it unless you were really into the subject or required it for a future Uni course or career :smile:

For physics I was always told it can be quite useful for maths/mechanics but I personally found it really challenging haha

You're right, and for physics it was useful for mechanics for me, for example SUVAT. So yes there is some overlap. For me it was quite challenging. So yeah... problem solving is needed a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest