The Student Room Group

Part time job in Year 12- a bad idea?

Poll

Part time job in Year 12- a bad idea?

I’m taking a gap year after my A levels so I need quite a bit of money for that, but I’m concerned that getting a job in Year 12 is a bad idea. I would want to work weekends and having been trying for a while to get a part time job but without much success. But now that Year 12 is over in a couple of months i’m wondering whether getting a job now is worth it because:
1. I need to concentrate on my exams and learning the content in preparation for Year 13- I don’t want my job to start taking over!
2. During the summer holidays and in June in particular I will be attending lots of uni open days, which are typically on Fridays or Saturdays- obviously a weekend job would interfere with this
3. I am attending a summer school in London for a few days and (hopefully) a language school in France for a week. Once again, i don’t think i would get enough time off work to do this, but i don’t want to sacrifice such fantastic opportunities for the sake of a weekend job.
4. Ultimately i want to get into a top uni- i know that it is possible to balance work and school but I would like AAA rather than BBB!

That being said, I need to fund my gap year somehow...
Opinions? Did anyone have a job during Year 12?
Who knows, I am year 12 and finally got a job at KFC after searching since September. Just waiting for an email telling me when my first shift is.

We'll find out lol
Update? How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest