The Student Room Group

Leaving data grad job to allow time/flexibility for September grad schemes

Hi guys,

Been working here since May 2022, and graduated in July 2022.
Currently work in a data/analytics role but have an intense desire to enter consulting (preferably strategy).

Currently involved in a consulting based NGO organisation and a part time consulting internship.

With grad jobs opening in around September, I'm thinking tactically it may be smart to leave my current full time job and do some casual part time work to allow more time to really focus on case study/interview prep/application aswell as provide flexibility to attend interviews. Additionally, focus on the consulting voluntary work/part time internship I am currently doing.

I would of course see a decrease in my monthly take home, but feel this is my last shot as graduate schemes.

I understand the argument, I could time manage better etc, but these types of roles require serious commitment in the application process.

Would I be massively hindering myself if I were to resign and take on a 3 day a week job to devote myself to job applications?

Thanks
Original post by ggidl002
Hi guys,

Been working here since May 2022, and graduated in July 2022.
Currently work in a data/analytics role but have an intense desire to enter consulting (preferably strategy).

Currently involved in a consulting based NGO organisation and a part time consulting internship.

With grad jobs opening in around September, I'm thinking tactically it may be smart to leave my current full time job and do some casual part time work to allow more time to really focus on case study/interview prep/application aswell as provide flexibility to attend interviews. Additionally, focus on the consulting voluntary work/part time internship I am currently doing.

I would of course see a decrease in my monthly take home, but feel this is my last shot as graduate schemes.

I understand the argument, I could time manage better etc, but these types of roles require serious commitment in the application process.

Would I be massively hindering myself if I were to resign and take on a 3 day a week job to devote myself to job applications?

Thanks

Yes. nothing looks better to an employer than an applicant already being fully employed. You really, really do just have to manage your time better. This idea that you can't fit job hunting into working life is a complete 'student' mentality - it just has to be done, it's what evenings and weekends are for, for the next few months.
Reply 2
GG,

I agree with the response above.

Consulting roles absolutely have time consuming and tough application processes (I went through legal training contract applications myself so have some sympathy with the time and effort required), BUT, they are still something that you'd be expected to simply fit in around your working life, whether that's mornings, evening, weekends, a quick hour of research over lunch etc... its demanding, but you have to find the time.

For perspective, at the firms you're applying to, there will be many consultants working 12+ hour days whilst juggling busy family lives and their own career development plans. Stepping down to some casual part time work will be very difficult to explain and an answer of giving yourself more time to devote to job applications is very unlikely to be viewed positively - I could only see it being viewed in a negative sense of "how will this person manage the pressures of the job if they think they are too busy now?"

Stay in the current role, accept that over the next couple of months free time outside of work and applications will be pretty limited until this years grad cycle passes, but it's all good development and worthwhile for your future career - best of luck.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending