The Student Room Group

help with finances, graduate medicine?

hey all. i am lucky enough to start grad medicine at cambridge this coming academic year. i have been reviewing my finances and whilst i can afford to pay off living costs for my first year, the 3 years after that look very difficult. i can pay tuition fees for all years, but ive done a forecast for living expenses in Yr 2-4, and I fall 5k short.

I am eligible for the full maintenance loans and Cambridge bursary, but that is not enough as I am short 5k every year for 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year. do you have any ideas in what i can do to fill up that extra cash? Does Cambridge have any scholarships that I'd be eligible? How strict is their no part time job rule? I was thinking of working every sunday as a tutor.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hey all. i am lucky enough to start grad medicine at cambridge this coming academic year. i have been reviewing my finances and whilst i can afford to pay off living costs for my first year, the 3 years after that look very difficult. i can pay tuition fees for all years, but ive done a forecast for living expenses in Yr 2-4, and I fall 5k short.

I am eligible for the full maintenance loans and Cambridge bursary, but that is not enough as I am short 5k every year for 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year. do you have any ideas in what i can do to fill up that extra cash? Does Cambridge have any scholarships that I'd be eligible? How strict is their no part time job rule? I was thinking of working every sunday as a tutor.

Maybe find a job you can work once or twice a week, seen as most pay around £10 you’d get £90/£4.6k a year working 9 hours a week or 6.2k working 12 hours a week throughout the year. Amazon or warehouse jobs and sometimes food places offer 12hr shifts, or you can try get a fast food job and work 2, 6hr shifts a week.

if you make £97 a week roughly from your tutoring a week you could make that £5k
Original post by Anonymous

Are you not getting a tuition fee loan/NHS bursary for the tuition fees? My understand is for graduate entry medicine, if you're a home fees student, normally you will be eligible for a partial tuition fee loan for the first year, and the remaining years the tuition fees are paid by NHS bursary.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending