The Student Room Group
evilmonkey
I really am stuck...no idea what to write for this:

The image of sight (literally eyesight and inner vision) are used repeatedly throughout the play. Identify as many examples as you can including context and reference. Write a mini essay on the significance of sight in this play.

I'm having the duhh moment. Almost 2 weeks off college and this is what happens.

Help...

First highlight all references to sight/blindness, then construct a spider diagram and brainstorm any ideas you have to start you off…

Sight/blindness:

Things I would comment on....

- The blinding of Gloucester ironically allows him to see clearly for the first time. Shakespeare seems to be preoccupied with the idea that understanding comes with the loss of powers usually associated with its discovery. Lear only sees the truth in his madness whilst the blinding of Gloucester ironically allows him to see clearly for the first time. He ‘sees’ his sons for what they are, his physical blindness symbolizes the metaphorical blindness that grips both father figures.
- Shakespeare seems to be saying that sadly many have to undergo great suffering before they can see truth. With all the references to sight/blindness Shakespeare is trying to say blindness is not a physical quality but a mental flaw that even the great possess. Insight into any situation is not derived from vision perfect passage for analysis Act 1, Scene 1, which shows Lear’s vision is obstructed by his lack of insight, as his inability to see into people’s characters means he cannot see them for who they really are: Kent’s reply to Lear "See better, Lear, and let me still remain" may be commented on. Those who can only see the surface are flawed. You have to learn the relationship between appearance and reality.
- Focus on Act 4 as there are more references to sight there than there is overall in the whole play. Sight, seeing, eyes, words associated with eyes are a constant theme in the play these images are used throughout the play to reiterate Shakespeare’s point.
Reply 2
In Act 1 Scene 2, Edmund sets out his plans to gain power; Gloucester is drawn towards Edmund because of his eloquence. Gloucester’s moral blindness also adds to his quick change of heart towards his legitimate son. Edmund’s portrayal of imagery and motifs at this stage includes false words, natural bonds and appearances and consequently has had a great influence on Gloucester. Here, Shakespeare conveys the theme of family feudalism to express conflicts in the play, as Gloucester sees a shattered world reflected in antagonistic family relationships whereby Edmund is the true antagonist- slyly trying to expose innocent and legitimate Edgar instead of himself:
Gloucester: “…the bond cracked ‘twixt son and father.
The villain of mine comes under the prediction;
there’s son against father: the king falls from bias of
nature; there’s father against child.” (Act 1 Sc 2 lines 111-113)

There's a little extract from my Lear CW from last year. I did the Edmund question thus little of my piece is based on blindness. Hope this helps in some way.
Reply 3
Thank you both for all the help, that definately got me started on the essay. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending