The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there!!
I was very excited to see this thread!
Exam board: AQA B
What I most like about the course: I LOVED coursework, and I like the way that the texts are approached, oh and the crime texts - I’m an avid crime fiction reader so it’s literally perfect for me!
What area do I struggle with: currently it’s memorising quotations and references but I’m definitely going to work on this over the next few weeks!
really excited to hear from everyone else!!
Reply 2
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hey i'm a current newbie to a levels...
My exam board is eduqas and i was wondering if anyone has any information on whats the course like? Is it just writing essays? Does anyone know if there is a set essay structure?
Sorry for all the questions i'm just so used to writing gcse essays that are analysis heavy - and i was also wondering can i include some of the same things that i wrote in my gcse essays e.g - through a psychoanalytical lens / marxist lens - the monomyth - the ID/EGO/Superego - the dark triad? - things about like gender conventions and power as like a hierarchical weapon?
Anyways any tips would be helpful :smile:
Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by user1787
My exam board is eduqas and i was wondering if anyone has any information on whats the course like? Is it just writing essays? Does anyone know if there is a set essay structure?
Sorry for all the questions i'm just so used to writing gcse essays that are analysis heavy - and i was also wondering can i include some of the same things that i wrote in my gcse essays e.g - through a psychoanalytical lens / marxist lens - the monomyth - the ID/EGO/Superego - the dark triad? - things about like gender conventions and power as like a hierarchical weapon?
Thanks.

Am good at writing all types of essays, reach to me for any assistance
Hello!
What exam board are you with? Edexcel
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? Definitely going through new texts and more specifically plays, starting Othello now and I already adore it.
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? Mostly with comparing 2 texts, eg. handmaids and Frankenstein, so if anyone has any advice for these two texts specifically it would be very much appreciated.
Reply 5
Hii!!

I'm pretty sure my exam board is Edexcel (I've completed the first year of the course so I really hope I'm right in thinking that lol)
I love analysing all the texts and I'm starting to/going to start to read a few more critical essays now so I'm finding those really interesting too!
Honestly, at the moment I seem to be struggling the most with poetry essays, I seem to find analysing poems a bit harder (especially the unseens) so I never really have strong enough points for a good essay. Does anyone have any tips for this??

Good luck with your course!!!
Reply 6
hey everyone!
i take psychology, english literature (aqa) and government and politics.
i enjoy the poetry texts on my board (pre-1900 and feminine gospels).
i hope to attain 3A*s at the end of year 13!
Original post by Pwca

Hi im Hawraa,

I study Edexcel were doing Othello, Frankenstein, A streetcar named desire, The Handmaids tale, and Romantic Poetry
I enjoy analysis of writers methods and comparisons but I absolutely despise annotating set texts.
Reply 8
Original post by Pwca

I enjoyed studying Othello and watching the performances of it online really helps solidify the meanings.
Reply 9
Original post by Pwca

1. Edexcel
2. Reading books and understanding context and perspective
3. Annotating books - the bane of my existence tbh
@elaine72605, @Hawraaaaaaaaaaaa and @dyadav24 it looks like you'll all be studying the same Shakespeare text! Maybe you'll be able to group together for revision and discussion :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by user1787
Thanks.

Hello Mate!
It's fantastic to see your enthusiasm for embarking on your A-level journey!
A-levels offer more depth, so delve into your topics with enthusiasm. Unlike GCSEs, Eduqas A-level course is characterized by a mix of essays, though not exclusively. These essays come in the form of assessments, and their structure can slightly vary depending on your chosen subjects. An individual can
You can definitely bring in analytical tools such as psychoanalysis, Marxism, and concepts like the ID/EGO/Superego, monomyth, and the dark triad, as long as they are relevant to your topic at hand and enhance your argument. Exploring gender conventions and power dynamics is definitely a smart move too, particularly if it fits your coursework.
Don't worry about asking questions, that's how you learn! If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out via DM or here on this platform.
Good luck with your A levels! 📚🌟
Cedriko.
Reply 12
Original post by máni
Hii!!

I'm pretty sure my exam board is Edexcel (I've completed the first year of the course so I really hope I'm right in thinking that lol)
I love analysing all the texts and I'm starting to/going to start to read a few more critical essays now so I'm finding those really interesting too!
Honestly, at the moment I seem to be struggling the most with poetry essays, I seem to find analysing poems a bit harder (especially the unseens) so I never really have strong enough points for a good essay. Does anyone have any tips for this??

Good luck with your course!!!

Hello!
I was also on the Edexcel board too. I'm really passionate about delving into new texts, particularly plays. I already covered Othello and it was really captivating!
When it comes to comparing texts, like The Handmaid's and Frankenstein, it can be a bit challenging. However, you can navigate this and excel. It only requires one to focus on identifying key themes and motifs in each work and then drawing connections between them.
It's always enjoyable to dive into a topic you love!
If you face any challenges or have questions on this topic or any other, feel free to reach out to me via DM.
Original post by elaine72605
Hello!
What exam board are you with? Edexcel
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? Definitely going through new texts and more specifically plays, starting Othello now and I already adore it.
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? Mostly with comparing 2 texts, eg. handmaids and Frankenstein, so if anyone has any advice for these two texts specifically it would be very much appreciated.

Im doing Lit with Edexcel too!! :smile: I dont think I'll be doing Othello where I am :frown:( but we also have the comparative Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein and comparing is like, the most fun thing for me lol so whenever we get to doing that, amazing to discuss it
Original post by Pwca

Hi! My name is Jess, i am in year 13 and am studying English lit (eduquas I believe), maths and computing (btec). I am studying a thousand splendid suns, Wuthering heights, streetcar named desire, king lear, modern and victorian poetry and finally Jane eyre with a text of my choice for coursework I have decided to go for the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo, an unconventional but really interesting text and am excited to compare them. I struggle with writing in exams, I can come up with such good points (over a few days haha) but in the exam struggle to find the right quotes and such. I hope the exam questions will be nice this summer :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by capripisces
Im doing Lit with Edexcel too!! :smile: I dont think I'll be doing Othello where I am :frown:( but we also have the comparative Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein and comparing is like, the most fun thing for me lol so whenever we get to doing that, amazing to discuss it

Hello @capripisces,
We can both attest that although Edexcel can be challenging, it's incredibly engaging and rewarding. My recent experience with Othello was truly captivating as I focused on identifying key themes and making connections between works.

However, I do acknowledge that experiences can vary widely. While some find it extremely challenging, others may find it quite manageable. If you face any difficulties or have questions about this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to me via DM.
(edited 7 months ago)
HELLO!!! to answer the questions
1. AQA (option B i think? the one with tragedy and protest and stuff)
2. i LOVE analysis in general and deconstructing a character's inner parts; it's part of why i got so many marks in this subject at GCSE. currently my eng lit class is studing John Keats' poetry and Othello!!!
3. remembering quotes/context mostly. if i had access to those things during an exam i'd be golden; my memory is just a bit bad mostly. also i'm probably best at novels/traditionally written books (ex from last year i did Jekyll and Hyde, the style of writing was PERFECT for me), less so with poetry. plays are a mixed bag. and shakespeare's language is very difficult to understand for me but i think i'll figure it out !!
hi! im gia, and i'm in year 12!:colonhash:
What exam board are you with? i'm doing ocr english lit, and we're looking at a doll's house, dracula, the bloody chamber, hamlet, and i think streetcar and rebecca!
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? i absolutely adore the gothic and looking at deeper meanings and societal subtexts behind pieces of literature!! also the realism behind characters
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? using terminology and integrating them into my essays and analysing structure is definitely something i need to work on- any tips would be appreciated! i can go on for days about context and symbolism but sometimes my A02 falls a bit short :thumbsdown:

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by staticsocks
hi! im gia, and i'm in year 12!:colonhash:
What exam board are you with? i'm doing ocr english lit, and we're looking at a doll's house, dracula, the bloody chamber, hamlet, and i think streetcar and rebecca!
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? i absolutely adore the gothic and looking at deeper meanings and societal subtexts behind pieces of literature!! also the realism behind characters
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? using terminology and integrating them into my essays and analysing structure is definitely something i need to work on- any tips would be appreciated! i can go on for days about context and symbolism but sometimes my A02 falls a bit short :thumbsdown:

Spoiler

I'm doing dracula, the bloody chamber and hamlet too!!
I've gone into my 2nd year of English Lit (OCR) and I'm struggling to get above a C, any tips on getting into the upper bands, I'm doing Hamlet, Doll's House, Coleridge Poems, Then American Lit, so Gatsby and the Grapes of Wrath, I have expressive dysphasia so I struggle a little more (I developed this after I was half way through my 1st year so I didn't have an issue before).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending