The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~*~rAiNbOw~*~
say wot?!

Its an evil question i know
the RNI for vitamin A for a 6 yr old girl is 0.50mg a day. Calculate the min mass of carrot in grams needed to supply this amount of vitamin A to the narest whole number

(100g of carrot provides 12mg of vit a)

been pondering over this question for ages, does anyone have and clue?
wooah we soo didnt cover nought about dogs :s-smilie:
crazylemon
Thats experimental not epidemiological evidence

oh lol
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
wooah we soo didnt cover nought about dogs :s-smilie:

Dont worry that isnt in the syllabus it will not be tested unless given to you in the exam unless they give the evidence to you
(0.5 / 12.00) x 100
crazylemon
Hmm

Explain the difference between active and passive immunity and their associated benifits/drawbacks

Active triggers an immune response, passive is from another individual,

Advantages of actrive immunity: memory cells produced, long term immunity. Disadvantages of active immunity: takes time, symptoms if pathogen contracted, disease may be fatal.

Advantages of passive immunity: Immediate protecion against specfic pathogens Disadvantages: Short term, no memory cells produced.

Any additions to that?
crazylemon
Dont worry that isnt in the syllabus it will not be tested unless given to you in the exam unless they give the evidence to you

phew...nearly had a myocardial infarction there
Loz17
the RNI for vitamin A for a 6 yr old girl is 0.50mg a day. Calculate the min mass of carrot in grams needed to supply this amount of vitamin A to the narest whole number

(100g of carrot provides 12mg of vit a)

been pondering over this question for ages, does anyone have and clue?

4 as: .5/12=0.0416666666666666
0.04166666*100 = 4.166666 which is 4 to the whole number
Loz17
Active triggers an immune response, passive is from another individual,

Advantages of actrive immunity: memory cells produced, long term immunity. Disadvantages of active immunity: takes time, symptoms if pathogen contracted, disease may be fatal.

Advantages of passive immunity: Immediate protecion against specfic pathogens Disadvantages: Short term, no memory cells produced.

Any additions to that?

Thats it
crazylemon

ve seen a queation that required that as an answer.

Basically all you need to know about that is that i the 1950's, an experiment was carried out in that begals were made to inhale cigarette smoke through masks and each of them developed smoking related illnesses, mostlg cancerous tumours.
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
phew...nearly had a myocardial infarction there

Lmao
Loz17
ve seen a queation that required that as an answer.

Basically all you need to know about that is that i the 1950's, an experiment was carried out in that begals were made to inhale cigarette smoke through masks and each of them developed smoking related illnesses, mostlg cancerous tumours.

How old was the paper cause syllabi change so it may just be an older paper
I can't remember, I did read it in my course textbook as well and thats dated 2004 but maybe...best to now just in case though isnt it?
Reply 34
crazylemon
4 as: .5/12=0.0416666666666666
0.04166666*100 = 4.166666 which is 4 to the whole number

Wouldnt it be 5g to the nearest whole number, since 4g of carrots would provide less than 0.5mg of vit A?
Loz17
I can't remember, I did read it in my course textbook as well and thats dated 2004 but maybe...best to now just in case though isnt it?

Cheacked syllabus and it dosent have it though that dosent mean 100% they wont just v unlikely
gyrase
Wouldnt it be 5g to the nearest whole number, since 4g of carrots would provide less than 0.5mg of vit A?

Technically yes i read the examiners reports and they agreed that 5 was an acceptable answer provided justification was given, which you have.
Why was it possible to eradicate smallpox?
~*~rAiNbOw~*~

*only one strain of the pathogen
*didnt exist in animals
*one vaccination required to prevent the disease-EDIT: making it cheap to produce, so more could be produced :smile:
*easy to diagnose as there were always symptoms developed with the disease

Hope that helps :smile:

Wow that was all from memory as well :biggrin: :cool:
~*~rAiNbOw~*~

Clear symptoms
Small pox virus diddnt mutate to much
Vaccine made from a similar living virus; permament immunity no boosters
Method of ring vaccination; althose living near someone with disease vaccinated
Vaccination programme aided by enthusiastic helpers
Not highly infectious
Programe was done when few wars on continued in few countries affected by war

Latest

Trending

Trending