The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Students studying animation?

Basically what the title says, are there many mature students studying on any of the animation/vfx/games art courses at Herts? Is it harder to make friends if you're a bit older?

Asking mainly because I am a mature student in their 20s considering Herts and recently been feeling some anxiety over it. I know age doesn't really matter and I'm not actually old, but I still feel worried about it and I can't seem to find a way to get over it.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Woops. Meant to add "mature students" in the title!
Original post by Anonymous
Basically what the title says, are there many mature students studying on any of the animation/vfx/games art courses at Herts? Is it harder to make friends if you're a bit older?

Asking mainly because I am a mature student in their 20s considering Herts and recently been feeling some anxiety over it. I know age doesn't really matter and I'm not actually old, but I still feel worried about it and I can't seem to find a way to get over it.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

To add to what I wrote:
I struggle already with social anxiety so I think this is why I worrying that it's another thing that might make making friends and fitting in harder for me.

I am okay at working in a team and I am a hard worker, take pride in my work. But it's more just nerves I think, and wanting to enjoy to experience to the full. I don't feel different to when I was 19 but worried I will seem different.

Are there sometimes students age 21,22,23,24,25+ etc?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Hey @Anonymous

We have a good proportion of mature students across the University. Though I cannot tell you the exact number of mature students in your course specifically I can assure you that you will definitely meet like-minded people both on your course and on-campus. There are also plenty of societies to join. Take a look here and I'm sure you'll find something that piques your interest.

Herts is celebrated for its diversity and community! Making friends and fitting in will be a piece of cake - keep an eye out for Freshers'! :wink:

Don't be worried. You're right to think that age doesn't really matter and we are always here to support you and any other question, don't hesitate to throw them my way :smile:

Best wishes,
Chirasree
Woops. Meant to add "mature students" in the title!

To add to what I wrote:
I struggle already with social anxiety so I think this is why I worrying that it's another thing that might make making friends and fitting in harder for me.

I am okay at working in a team and I am a hard worker, take pride in my work. But it's more just nerves I think, and wanting to enjoy to experience to the full. I don't feel different to when I was 19 but worried I will seem different.

Are there sometimes students age 21,22,23,24,25+ etc?
I'm in first year currently, so will be a second year in 2019, and loads students in my year are 20+, you don't even realise. I'm one of the youngest and didn't know at first just how many people are 20+. I'd guess there's probably more people who are currently 20+ in my year than 18-19, I just think with a course like this a lot of people decide later because they're only just getting good recognition now.
Reply 4
Hey! I'm an offer-holder going into the course in September 2019!
I turn 20 just before the course begins - and I know a few others going onto these routes are already in their 20's. I actually run a chat open for the offer-holders of this course - I can provide further detail in DM's :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Saphie B
Hey! I'm an offer-holder going into the course in September 2019!
I turn 20 just before the course begins - and I know a few others going onto these routes are already in their 20's. I actually run a chat open for the offer-holders of this course - I can provide further detail in DM's :smile:

Hey! Thanks for your reply (sorry this is a late thanks!). Would it be okay to DM you with a question also about the chat you mentioned?

Thank you as well to everyone else who responded. I admit I am still worrying about it 8 months later, I really want to be part of the whole course and make friends
Reply 6
Hey! Thanks for your reply (sorry this is a late thanks!). Would it be okay to DM you with a question also about the chat you mentioned?

Thank you as well to everyone else who responded. I admit I am still worrying about it 8 months later, I really want to be part of the whole course and make friends

Absolutely! :smile:
Reply 7
I am worrying about this too :frown:
Reply 8
I am worrying about this too :frown:

Oh just realised it's my own thread lol. Yeah still concerned, but I appreciate all the advice guys, it has helped a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending