The Student Room Group

Hong Kong student finding vetmed work experience

Hi everyone!
I am a student who is currently studying the IB. I am extremely eager to pursue a future in veterinarian medicine. I understand that work experience is extremely important, hence, am desperately seeking opportunities. Thank you! :h:

So... I just wanted to ask:
1) If anyone knows where can I have work experience in general (especially for larger animals (e.g. lambs, cattles, pigs, etc.) and marine animals) in Hong Kong?
2) If anyone knows how to increase your chances of getting into volunteering spots for larger organisations, e.g. SPCA and Ocean Park since they mostly seem full? Should I email them directly on top of submitting a volunteer form?

Thank you so much!!:cookie:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
from hk + current vet student in the UK graduating soon. Like you said, SPCA and Ocean Park are very competitive , I don’t think there’s anything you can do to improve your chances apart from shooting your shot really. Kadoorie is good for wildlife and they take pre vet students as far as I’m aware (unless they changed things) don’t think there’s any large animal work experience you can do in hk, never heard of hk pre vet students being able to snag any. Just apply for as many small animal clinics as you can. Some will ignore you some will respond. It’s a process. If you’re worried about not having large animal work experience would disadvantage you for vet school interviews , you don’t need to. Maybe read up on basic anatomy for production animals. Horses -> hindgut fermenters, sheep and cows are ruminants , stuff like that. Most first years know **** all about large animals , many don’t have agricultural backgrounds. Don’t worry and all the best xx
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 10Joyce!
from hk + current vet student in the UK graduating soon. Like you said, SPCA and Ocean Park are very competitive , I don’t think there’s anything you can do to improve your chances apart from shooting your shot really. Kadoorie is good for wildlife and they take pre vet students as far as I’m aware (unless they changed things) don’t think there’s any large animal work experience you can do in hk, never heard of hk pre vet students being able to snag any. Just apply for as many small animal clinics as you can. Some will ignore you some will respond. It’s a process. If you’re worried about not having large animal work experience would disadvantage you for vet school interviews , you don’t need to. Maybe read up on basic anatomy for production animals. Horses -> hindgut fermenters, sheep and cows are ruminants , stuff like that. Most first years know **** all about large animals , many don’t have agricultural backgrounds. Don’t worry and all the best xx

Noted, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Jc10/10
Noted, thank you!

nw, feel free to pm if got any other questions about applying to vet school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending