The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Anarchist7
0.36= q^2 or recessive
q= 0.6

P must be 0.4 so p^2 = 0.16 ( number of homozygous dominant)

Therefore, 2pq =
0.64 - 0.16 = 0.48

48 percent WAS the answer can’t see how 0.46 was right unless some one can explain otherwise

when you work out 2PQ you square root it to get Q so 1-q = p not p^2
Original post by Jamil1
Could be right I was thinking that too but then before the DNA winds into a helix the bases arent paired so I was thinking they may be talking about if the bases were placed side by side the actual length of the whole dna since theres 2 strands, and the first bit mentioned kilobases which is each singular bases and the DNA consists of double strands so maybe might have wanted you to notice it otherwise I doubt they wouldve said 10 base pairs instead of just 10 bases but who knows

Yes you had to divide the total number of kilo bases by two to get the number of base pairs
Original post by Gnuyheatmik
No but it gave u the total number of bases not base pairs so u had to divide by two

It gave you the total number of length of bases not just total number of bases present did it not ?
What was the reason for the lid on the Petri dish? I put so Iaa doesn’t evaporate and contaminate the other dishes/ would alter its concerntration therefore conc not controlled but wasn’t sure
it said about heart problems and how it affects the neurones of the autonomic nervous system which involves like baroreceptors and chemoreceptors so i said like it could affect blood pressure and the heart beat
How does the myelin seath being damaged effect rhythms of the heart tho. Wording on this question is gonna be awful in the mark scheme
Reply 45
Slower rate of impulse transmission so delay between stimulus detected by receptors in the carotid artery and muscle contraction as neurones cannot carry out saltatory conduction so transmission from medulla to SAN slower - therefore heart muscle tissue contracts after a delay (irregular)
How does the myelin seath being damaged effect rhythms of the heart tho. Wording on this question is gonna be awful in the mark scheme
Reply 46
I put so it wouldn't evaporate so IAA conc the same in each dish
Original post by Jademorgan1
What was the reason for the lid on the Petri dish? I put so Iaa doesn’t evaporate and contaminate the other dishes/ would alter its concerntration therefore conc not controlled but wasn’t sure
I got 48 percent

I got 46.08%
It gave you the total number of length of bases not just total number of bases present did it not ?

It gave you the total number of kilobases and the total length of one cycle which is 10 dna base pairs
Myelinated neurones don’t do saltatory conduction?
Original post by jake.ts
Slower rate of impulse transmission so delay between stimulus detected by receptors in the carotid artery and muscle contraction as neurones cannot carry out saltatory conduction so transmission from medulla to SAN slower - therefore heart muscle tissue contracts after a delay (irregular)
Reply 50
Base pairs are horizontal to each other not above/below so you did not have to divide by two as the base pairs did not affect length
Yes you had to divide the total number of kilo bases by two to get the number of base pairs

I said slowls impulse to the medulla therefore medulla cannot process impulses/send impulse to the SAN -> AVN so heart rate not controlled by sympathetic/parasympathetic neurones; heart rate not controlled therefore irregular. Idk though really struggled with this exam. T___T
Ah was so confused some people put about bacteria but idk how that would affect it evaporation seemed like the only logical thing
Original post by jake.ts
I put so it wouldn't evaporate so IAA conc the same in each dish
Reply 53
Original post by 1Secord
I also got 48%. I think the question told you the percentage of Grey body was 64%. That percentage included GG or Gg.
I did 1-0.64 = 0.36 - So 36% must be black body, gg.
Square root of 0.36 = 0.6.
1 - 0.6 = 0.4 ( Since 1 = p + q )
The question asked for heterozygous - 2*p*q
2 * 0.6 * 0.4 = 0.48 = 48%

Hi is what I did too , I don’t understand any other answers for it
No it said "bases long". Not total bases. So 10 bases long is 20 bases. But u use 10 in calculation
No but it gave u the total number of bases not base pairs so u had to divide by two
Original post by Luke Holland
0.64 is dominant homozygous and hetrozygous (if you have 1 dominant allele, it will still be expressed) so:
p^2+2pq=0.64.
q^2= 0.36 (1-0.64)
q= 0.6 (sqrt 0.36)
p= 0.4 (1-0.6)
2pq = 2*0.4*0.6= 0.48
=48%

If P is dominant and q is recessive how is the proportion of the recessive allele greater?
Original post by jake.ts
Base pairs are horizontal to each other not above/below so you did not have to divide by two as the base pairs did not affect length

Yes it did because the overall DNA strand length will be shorter
Reply 57
Yes they do, saltatory conduction is when impulses 'jump' between Nodes of Ranvier between Schwann cells which make up the myelination
Myelinated neurones don’t do saltatory conduction?
Original post by Jamil1
Anyone get 1.62 micrometres for the length of the glucagon dna question? It said 10 base pairs so its 20 bases which is what I did, let me know

0.608 for Rf Value
177...something kJ for the bottom part of q1/2
48% for Hardy Weinberg

I also got 0.608 for my Rf value. I also got 177 something similar for the kJ for the energy question about the zebras.

I think I got 3.24 micro
metres for the dna bases. I can’t really remember this question but I think they told you it was 9.513 kilobases long ( I can’t remember if it was 9.531 or 9.513 ) so I multiplied by 1000 to get 9531 or 9513 whichever. Then divided by ten because 10 base pairs were equivalent to a set measurement ( cannot remember exactly ) then I multiplied my answer by the set measurement.
Ah was so confused some people put about bacteria but idk how that would affect it evaporation seemed like the only logical thing

Bacteria would compete with shoot for resources stunting growth. Both points seem quite plausible

Latest

Trending

Trending