The Student Room Group

Edexcel geog A and selective learning..?

Hi all, well this may seem like an easy way out but im soo stuck with human geography and am finding it impposible to get through the whole of that book (the philip alan one) and i have kind of come across a trend .. if you look at the spec there are 3 sub-sections for each topic i.e 3 sections for rural-urban .. and ive noticed that questions come up on only 2 of those sections.
do you think that its ok only to revise 2 sections and then do the question on the section you have revised? or do you think this trend is just my imagination lol.
thanks guys and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 1
anyone .. really panicking here :frown:
Reply 2
Which 2 sections do you mean, as i've seen questions for all 3 sub-sections, but agriculture doesn't come up as often in exams, it may this year.
Reply 3
i mean in the specification- for each of the three sections economic, rural-urban, development, they have spilt these up into 3 sections and the 2 questions they give you a choice on, they only ask from 2 of those sections in the spec.
sorry if ive confused anyone!
Reply 4
Ohhh, i see now. I think it depends what exam board your with, or mayebe not, but you're right it's always economic systems and rural urban. But, with rural urban its quite broad, i'm not sure which part to revise: urbanisation, the rural-urban fringe or agriculture. What are you doing? I'm fine with economic systems. Someone posted notes for this unit somewhere on the geography board, have a look they're good.
Reply 5
you're right -rural urban can be anything.. hmm im thinking maybe agriculture will come up as it hasnt in a while.. but the textbook im revising from (philip allen one) doesnt give enough information to answer any of the possible questions ive seen so i think im gonna do urbanisation.
How did you revise for economic systems? Im ok with the location of industry but globalisation is tough!
had a look at those notes- thanks for that.
:biggrin:
Reply 6
Oh, that's true about the book. I actually prefer agriculture though since there's less to revise for it, lol but i don't want to risk not revising everything else. For agriculture, i used Collins Agriculture and Food, i didn't use much of it, you can just use your notes on factors affecting soil for a question on climate, relief etc, and for human there's political intervention, the division of farms into fragments.
For economic systems i mainly used a lot of case studies. Globalisation is ok, just include about how it's changed employment, how it's created trade blocs and NICs (include NAFTA with the maquiladoras), also the problems and benefits brought by globalisation, like they relocate which leads to unemployment e.g. Dyson washing machine moving to Malaysia.
I don't like the rural-urban stuff, my teacher didn't teach it very well!! and the philip alan book isn't detailed enough.
Reply 7
You know, mayebe the examiners will ask similar questions from the past, just like they did for the unit 4 paper on thursday! Two of the questions that came up, i'd done for homework but i didn't realise until later.
i did this for the physical paper for glaciaition :smile:
since i couldnt be bothered to learn periglacial
so i just knew the other two sections really well and chose the q orientated towards the stuff i had learnt! annd the question that came up for glaciation was one periglacial and one on mass balance, so i was fine since i knew the massbalance one so all was gooood!
so u can do this if u reallly are struggling and are pressed for time!
but all u need to do with human is learn the models and casestudies and youre set :smile:
Reply 9
That's taking a risk, imagine if what you revised doesn't come up.
Anyway, seeing as there isn't much time, i'm only going to revise urbanisation and rural-fringe stuff, i've done economics. How about you?
well i did learn periglacial but not as intensively annnd i checked with all papers for physical and i swear there was always only one question from one of the 3 sections of glaciation so it meant if u didnt know one of the sections it was fine coz u knew the other 2 so u cud answer one of the questions.. it is a risk.. but i took it and it worked out! :smile: lol

as for human i get human so im gna do it all all 3 units development, economic and rural-urban..
might only end up learning case studies and models. :smile: seee what happens since got c4 that day too.. and bio unit 4 and 5 the day after :frown: euurgh
Alright, well my school only teachers economic and rural urban, not development, so our choices are limited. I have biology as well!! These exams need to be spaced out more!!
Reply 12
it is a big risk I agree as the sections u revised may have a nasty question on it .. But I just don't get human geog never have never will lol! I also have chem that day arhh. Thanks for your help guys appreciate it, good luck to everyone :biggrin:
How did you find it??? I was relieved that agriculture came up, i was relying on that lol. I also did the TNC question, how about you? We've got the synoptic left now lol. Know any good sites, or revision tips, case studies for that? thanxs

Latest

Trending

Trending