The Student Room Group

NPLQ Surface Dive

Hi folks,

I'm going to be taking my NPLQ in July/August, and one of the things I am most worried about is the surface dive. The pool I will do it at has a maximum depth of 3M, but the deepest pool I can attend only has a depth of 1.8m, and I'm really worried about it.

How does the surface dive get examined? Is it on the first day that you have to do all the fitness tests? Also, I read somewhere that people who fail to do it on their first time are kicked out without a refund? Is this true?

If people have any tips for the surface dive, including both technique and how to stay calm, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks!
Original post by samhunt_7
Hi folks,

I'm going to be taking my NPLQ in July/August, and one of the things I am most worried about is the surface dive. The pool I will do it at has a maximum depth of 3M, but the deepest pool I can attend only has a depth of 1.8m, and I'm really worried about it.

How does the surface dive get examined? Is it on the first day that you have to do all the fitness tests? Also, I read somewhere that people who fail to do it on their first time are kicked out without a refund? Is this true?

If people have any tips for the surface dive, including both technique and how to stay calm, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Hi there, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon! :smile:

I've sent a message to a friend of mine who worked as a lifeguard previously; I'll post with an update if they know the answer to any of your questions :biggrin:
Original post by samhunt_7
Hi folks,

Many thanks!

Hello again! My friend replied with the following:

The surface dive is usually examined by starting in the water and swimming down to the bottom of the pool, picking up a mannequin and bringing it back up to the surface.

Assuming you’re taking an NPLQ course, you won’t be examined until the end of the week. If you fail the test, you will have a chance to retake on another occasion but I’ve done the NPLQ twice and I haven’t seen anybody fail so don’t worry too much! If people do fail, it’s usually timed swims or spinal.

With the surface dive, it depends what you’re worried about - is it getting to the bottom or holding your breath?

If you’re worried about swimming the distance to the bottom: Some people sink straight to the bottom easily and some don’t. Try different techniques to get there - you could jump out of the water and sink down feet first or go head first by kicking your legs up behind you.

If you’re worried about holding your breath, practise holding your breath by either swimming lengths under water or just sinking down to the bottom and staying there. You will physically be able to hold your breath for long enough, it’s just your mind that tells you to come up for air so just keep practising! To stay calm, remind yourself that if you’re three metres deep and you really need to breathe, you’ll be back out of the water in a few seconds.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Reply 3
Hi can the surface dive be feet first or does it have to be head first ?
Reply 4
Hi can the surface dive be feet first or does it have to be head first ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending