The Student Room Group

NPLQ (lifeguarding)

hi, i just turned 17 and just passed my NPLQ assessment. the only thing is, my timed swims were EXTREMELY bad. 63s for the 65s tow, and 45s for the 45s tow. lots of people said 'the adrenaline will shave a few seconds off my time', but this was not the case. i feel really embarrassed and scared to go to staff training now because i know i'll be one of the slowest lifeguards there. what should i do?
Original post by princessjowusu
hi, i just turned 17 and just passed my NPLQ assessment. the only thing is, my timed swims were EXTREMELY bad. 63s for the 65s tow, and 45s for the 45s tow. lots of people said 'the adrenaline will shave a few seconds off my time', but this was not the case. i feel really embarrassed and scared to go to staff training now because i know i'll be one of the slowest lifeguards there. what should i do?

Hi there! I'm in exactly the same boat as you - I've also just turned 17 and passed my NPLQ two weeks ago. I'm not a competitive swimmer nor do I regularly go swimming, in fact, the last time I went swimming before starting my NPLQ course was when I was 11 years old! I felt really anxious during my timed swims as well because I knew that my grips, towing, first aid, theory and CPR was all really good but I had no concept of my own swimming skill nor did I know my actual time as my instructor never told me how fast I swam, just that I had passed. I'm now also really nervous about competency tests and staff training as I don't want to find out that I can't meet the time requirements again. However, I found it helpful to remember that the people at staff training and doing your competency tests have seen 100s of lifeguards work under them and chances are, they have probably seen someone perform much worse than us at swimming and still let them work!

If you are worried about seeming slower than the other lifeguards (trust me, I was too, everyone in my course was faster than me in the timed swims, even if I could keep up in exercises and grip drills) try to remember that you probably don't take much notice of whether someone else is swimming slowly/badly because you're so focused on your own performance, so chances are, all the other lifeguards are also too focused on themselves! And even if you did pay attention in the moment to how fast other people are swimming, I bet that you definitely didn't remember the next day or even in the next hour. So if others do pick up that you are slower than the other lifeguards, they won't even remember thinking that 5 minutes later as every human being thinks about so many things - just like you!

It may be helpful to build up your confidence about swimming more, perhaps by practicing a few laps at a pool? I currently go swimming at my local gym twice a week and try to swim as fast as I can. I don't know if I'm getting faster or not but I do know that my confidence has increased by a lot. Now, I know for a fact that I am not the fastest swimmer out there but I have faith in my skills to save someone, which is really all that matters in the end.

I hope hearing this from someone in the same boat helped and good luck on your staff training!!
Original post by greenlight0213
Hi there! I'm in exactly the same boat as you - I've also just turned 17 and passed my NPLQ two weeks ago. I'm not a competitive swimmer nor do I regularly go swimming, in fact, the last time I went swimming before starting my NPLQ course was when I was 11 years old! I felt really anxious during my timed swims as well because I knew that my grips, towing, first aid, theory and CPR was all really good but I had no concept of my own swimming skill nor did I know my actual time as my instructor never told me how fast I swam, just that I had passed. I'm now also really nervous about competency tests and staff training as I don't want to find out that I can't meet the time requirements again. However, I found it helpful to remember that the people at staff training and doing your competency tests have seen 100s of lifeguards work under them and chances are, they have probably seen someone perform much worse than us at swimming and still let them work!

If you are worried about seeming slower than the other lifeguards (trust me, I was too, everyone in my course was faster than me in the timed swims, even if I could keep up in exercises and grip drills) try to remember that you probably don't take much notice of whether someone else is swimming slowly/badly because you're so focused on your own performance, so chances are, all the other lifeguards are also too focused on themselves! And even if you did pay attention in the moment to how fast other people are swimming, I bet that you definitely didn't remember the next day or even in the next hour. So if others do pick up that you are slower than the other lifeguards, they won't even remember thinking that 5 minutes later as every human being thinks about so many things - just like you!

It may be helpful to build up your confidence about swimming more, perhaps by practicing a few laps at a pool? I currently go swimming at my local gym twice a week and try to swim as fast as I can. I don't know if I'm getting faster or not but I do know that my confidence has increased by a lot. Now, I know for a fact that I am not the fastest swimmer out there but I have faith in my skills to save someone, which is really all that matters in the end.

I hope hearing this from someone in the same boat helped and good luck on your staff training!!

Hi,

I really appreciate this reply - 2 weeks of radio silence and feeling like no one was relating to me was pretty scary.

My brother did the course at the same time as me, and he's started working now: he's much faster than me but he came back from staff training saying he was the slowest. But when he told me what they had to (8 lengths, and some CPR, First Aid, PXB, I was kinda put at ease. (Also, the added bonus of being paid to attend was enticing).

I've decided that seeing that the next available lifeguarding course is in October half term, I might start picking up shifts as the new lot join. But between now and then, I'll be doing laps at my pool and maybe even starting private swimming lessons to make sure my stroke is good and that I'm improving. but worse comes to worst, then I'll join in the Christmas period.

Thank you so much for that piece about how people won't be paying attention to me! It's really appreciated. I'm so grateful that you reached out and replied, I feel much more settled. I hope your job is treating you well!
Reply 3
Original post by princessjowusu

hi, I too am in the same boat I have been doing lifeguarding for 2 years and swimming is not my thing and timed swims always made me worried! try to get in a pool a couple of times a week and focus on technique, also do some running as it helps with your cardiovascular stamina that all helped for me and also take the win you were in the times!
Reply 4
Original post by MissFliss_h
hi, I too am in the same boat I have been doing lifeguarding for 2 years and swimming is not my thing and timed swims always made me worried! try to get in a pool a couple of times a week and focus on technique, also do some running as it helps with your cardiovascular stamina that all helped for me and also take the win you were in the times!

Hi, im planning to train over the next couple of months before taking my NPLQ on the next run of courses.
Im 24, pretty average fitness level, nothing special but i do smoke cigarettes, which im planning to stop. Ive always been a water baby. Going years without seeing a pool and then being able to confidently get in and competently swim laps without any major fatigue, im confident in diving deep, both into the pool and from the surface of the water etc. All round im pretty capable in the water, in my opinion.
Ive worked in various places and never really found enjoyment in my work, but I feel like doing something I KNOW im naturally competent at is probably my best bet at a rewarding and enjoyable career - Ive also had first aid training through various things ive done (Cadets, Care sector work, volunteering) so im confident that ill pass those aspects of the course.

My question really is: do you think hitting the pool a couple of times a week, practicing my strokes, timed lengths and maybe going to the gym a few times a week to use the tredmill/bikes would be enough preperation to hopefully pass? Ive read mixed reviews on how tough the overall physical part of the assessment is.

Im probably HUGELY overthinking it, as i do with most things, but the timed swims are defintiely what i worry about most as ive smoked for the past 6 years and my cardio has taken a massive hit, so any tips really are appreciated.
Original post by beccachoo
Hi, im planning to train over the next couple of months before taking my NPLQ on the next run of courses.
Im 24, pretty average fitness level, nothing special but i do smoke cigarettes, which im planning to stop. Ive always been a water baby. Going years without seeing a pool and then being able to confidently get in and competently swim laps without any major fatigue, im confident in diving deep, both into the pool and from the surface of the water etc. All round im pretty capable in the water, in my opinion.
Ive worked in various places and never really found enjoyment in my work, but I feel like doing something I KNOW im naturally competent at is probably my best bet at a rewarding and enjoyable career - Ive also had first aid training through various things ive done (Cadets, Care sector work, volunteering) so im confident that ill pass those aspects of the course.

My question really is: do you think hitting the pool a couple of times a week, practicing my strokes, timed lengths and maybe going to the gym a few times a week to use the tredmill/bikes would be enough preperation to hopefully pass? Ive read mixed reviews on how tough the overall physical part of the assessment is.

Im probably HUGELY overthinking it, as i do with most things, but the timed swims are defintiely what i worry about most as ive smoked for the past 6 years and my cardio has taken a massive hit, so any tips really are appreciated.

hi! nice to see a fellow cadet, this will REALLY help you in terms of the first aid section! ofc it's not essential to know everything, but it is a nice building block to have. as for the practice: YES! one million times YES! if i could turn back time, that's exactly what i'd do! i'd focus on sprints, rather than laps as that's what the fitness test is, making sure you're comfortable with opening your eyes underwater. if you've been a comfortable swimmer before, it'll essentially just be muscle memory. the reason i barely passed was because of how slow i am overall. at my fastest, i do 50m in abt 50 seconds frontcrawl and backstroke is even worse. but you have the optimum time now to just make sure you're fast enough for the sprints AND improve your health at the same time! i think going to the gym would be pointless if it was solely for assessment day and then drop after, but it'd be great for overall fitness for you. all i can say is, i'm SERIOUSLY slow, and if i can pass, then ANYONE can.

oh and one last note, practice sidestroke! you'll use it a lot. :smile:
any more questions, and i'll be happy to answer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending