The Student Room Group

MTZ: Million to Zero (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 81
Original post by spotify95

Spoiler

I am thanks, how have you fared today? :smile:

Ooh I would have thought that was good for a speaker (not that I've ever bought one myself) but it appears not! :gasp: And with all the different bits and pieces you order, I can imagine that would really add up!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 82
Reply 93
Original post by Matrix123

Ooh I would have thought that was good for a speaker (not that I've ever bought one myself) but it appears not! :gasp: And with all the different bits and pieces you order, I can imagine that would really add up!

Hellooo :smile: Yep, today has been good, focussed on eBay listings more than anything else today, and if I don't do anything tomorrow, then that is what I shall do tomorrow as well!

The new bluetooth speaker is performing well, and at about £10 delivered, it was a good price. But it could have been even cheaper if the seller had used MyHermes instead of the rip off that is Royal Mail :tongue:
In fact, I've just wrapped up a job lot of batteries (sold for just 99p + shipping) and since I found a box that is just under 3cm thick, it fits the new MyHermes "postable" category, yet fails to fit the Royal Mail large letter category (max 2.5cm).... thus saving more money there :smile:

Original post by Matrix123

Found the message I wanted to reply to! :biggrin:

I'm ok, was a little tired but am fine now :smile:

The total price for a new bluetooth speaker is good, I'm not complaining about the overall price (as anything smaller than the one I got, or cheaper, is likely to sound poor quality or have other significant compromises) - however, the postage service used is not the best value and not one I'd have chosen.

For items up to £20 value there is no need to go signed. Just send it standard Royal Mail, you'll still be covered. Or use MyHermes which has full tracking :tongue:

Between £20 and £50 it may be worth using the Signed service provided that the weight does not exceed 2kg

Anything of decent value or substantial weight should go through via a next day courier like UPS, with extra compensation added if required.
"Special Delivery" is a waste of money, as is Parcelforce and all RM above 2kg.

For smaller items below 2.5cm thickness (or below 3cm thickness) use either Royal Mail Large Letter or MyHermes Postable. Royal Mail has the advantage that there is compensation (but only in the form of a book of stamps!), but you don't even get a reference number unless you go Signed For. And for anything over 100g weight, the better and cheaper way to get a tracking or reference number is MyHermes Postable.
Sure you don't get compensation, but MyHermes don't like paying out on much anyways :tongue:
And the extra 5mm thickness of the Hermes size makes it much more suitable for lithium ion batteries :smile:

And that's the postage options covered, in a nutshell! There might be some other options I've missed out, but ultimately, I've just explained pretty much the entire contents of the Courier Guide thread in a couple of paragraphs! :tongue:

Reply 97

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 98

Spoiler

Spoiler

989, 900

Quick Reply

Latest