The Student Room Group

Idlib’s humanitarian disaster

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Firstly, barrel bombs come under the bracket of air strikes so i'm not sure why you classed them as separate things?
Second, Idlib is also fit to bursting with every terror group in Syria. Would you rather they be allowed to spread out again or would you rather see them rubbed out?

So is letting of suicide bombs in civilian areas, shelling/mortaring cities, using civilians as human shields and so on. Yet the large number of terrorists in Idlib all do this. Plus theyve also attacked hospitals (not to mention positioned their weapons in or around them)

Lastly, and i cant stress this point enough, this is war. Everyone commits war crimes (whether we like it or not)

They're classed as separate things because barrel bombs are indiscriminate. You push the explosive barrel out of a plane / helicopter having no idea where it'll land. The fact they do this in areas populated by civilians is atrocious.

Where have the rebels detonated SVBIEDs in civilian areas? The rest of your post is garbage and you're simply trying to excuse the atrocities of the regime by saying "everyone commits war crimes".
Original post by Palmyra
Why are they 'trapped'? Because the occupying Sunni jihadist groups are refusing to let them leave to use them as human shields to prevent the Syrian Government from removing terrorists from their territory.

The shabiha can't even get past open territory in Hama.
Original post by verycoolperson
if it wasn't for Russia and Iran's assistance syria would be a better place already probably, but it will still be a better place in the future without a doubt

Or with ISIS and Al-Nusra controlling most of it.
Original post by yourguyJM
Why put it in quotations when there's video footage of it?

Because she’s quoting someone...
Reply 24
They're classed as separate things because barrel bombs are indiscriminate. You push the explosive barrel out of a plane / helicopter having no idea where it'll land. The fact they do this in areas populated by civilians is atrocious.

Where have the rebels detonated SVBIEDs in civilian areas? The rest of your post is garbage and you're simply trying to excuse the atrocities of the regime by saying "everyone commits war crimes".

Sorry, why are you telling me what a barrel bomb is? It is a munition dropped from the air.. it is thus an air strike...
Nevermind the fact it is not particularly less accurate than a standard iron bomb nor the more salient fact that JDAMs et al. are also delightfully useful for killing civillians. Just ask those in the region.
I'm sorry are we talking facts here or your prejudiced opinion because i really dont care about the latter i'm afraid.

Did you just say that the rebels i.e. terrorists have never used a vehicle born explosive? oh dear. Well heres a video of the aforementioned for your education.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhfHRaSw3o

Again, i really dont care what you opinion is on this as you've yet to disprove a single thing I have said, all you have done is whined about it...
Reply 25
You have no idea what you're on about.

The regime obviously have a political agenda when they're purposely attack civilian infrastructure to destroy the morale of the rebels / those living under them.

Targeting civilians in a residential area far away from the front lines is terrorism, whether by an aircraft or truck bomb.

Apparently a lot more than you though.

Er no ****? What point are you attempting to make or are you calling the government 'terrorists'? :lol:

So you admit that the rebels are terrorists then, by your own definition no less?

You see the problem for your heinously weak argument is that the international community has tended to be rather conservative in ever labeling a government or state guilty of terrorism as opposed to just war crimes or what not (which Syria may well be guilty of) unforutnately for you though they don't tend to label each other as terrorists for rather obvious reasons thus while you might not like what the government of Damascus is doing it is nevertheless not terrorism. On the other hand when the terrorists fire rockets and mortars into the cities (never mind car bombs or the like) that is ipso facto an act of terror.
Reply 26
What does "terrorists are using them as human shields" mean?

Are you being intentionally oblivious or do you seriously not know what a self explanatory statement, like that, means?

These "terrorists" control territory with over a million civilians living there.

Are you really contending that the terrorists in Idlib arent actually terrorists? Oh this should be good. Pray tell why you dont consider these groups to be terrorists? One can only surmise you agree with them...
Original post by Napp
Sorry, why are you telling me what a barrel bomb is? It is a munition dropped from the air.. it is thus an air strike...
Nevermind the fact it is not particularly less accurate than a standard iron bomb nor the more salient fact that JDAMs et al. are also delightfully useful for killing civillians. Just ask those in the region.
I'm sorry are we talking facts here or your prejudiced opinion because i really dont care about the latter i'm afraid.

Did you just say that the rebels i.e. terrorists have never used a vehicle born explosive? oh dear. Well heres a video of the aforementioned for your education.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhfHRaSw3o

Again, i really dont care what you opinion is on this as you've yet to disprove a single thing I have said, all you have done is whined about it...

Do you have issues with reading?

I asked you where a VBIED was used in killing civilians.
Reply 28
Do you have issues with reading?

I asked you where a VBIED was used in killing civilians.

No, apparently thats you unless you're so oblivious to events you've never seen, nor heard, of one being used? Especially as i literally just gave you a video of one being used. Are you intentionally being dishonest in your "arguments" or are you just being lazy/not knowing what you're attempting to argue?
Original post by Napp
Apparently a lot more than you though.

Er no ****? What point are you attempting to make or are you calling the government 'terrorists'? :lol:

So you admit that the rebels are terrorists then, by your own definition no less?

You see the problem for your heinously weak argument is that the international community has tended to be rather conservative in ever labeling a government or state guilty of terrorism as opposed to just war crimes or what not (which Syria may well be guilty of) unforutnately for you though they don't tend to label each other as terrorists for rather obvious reasons thus while you might not like what the government of Damascus is doing it is nevertheless not terrorism. On the other hand when the terrorists fire rockets and mortars into the cities (never mind car bombs or the like) that is ipso facto an act of terror.

Is your argument that the "international community" hasn't labelled the regime terrorists? If so, 99% of the rebel groups in Idlib haven't been labelled terrorists by the international community.

It's not the rebels killing civilians, it's the regime.
Reply 30
Is your argument that the "international community" hasn't labelled the regime terrorists? If so, 99% of the rebel groups in Idlib haven't been labelled terrorists by the international community.

It's not the rebels killing civilians, it's the regime.

No, my argument is international law says you’re wrong.
Er well that’s a lie now isn’t it. The terrorists are obviously (unless you’re blind) killing civilians.
Original post by Napp
Are you being intentionally oblivious or do you seriously not know what a self explanatory statement, like that, means?

Are you really contending that the terrorists in Idlib arent actually terrorists? Oh this should be good. Pray tell why you dont consider these groups to be terrorists? One can only surmise you agree with them...

How about you answer the question?

There's 1 million civilians in Idlib. Are they all human shields because they happen to live there? Yes or no?
Original post by Napp
No, my argument is international law says you’re wrong.
Er well that’s a lie now isn’t it. The terrorists are obviously (unless you’re blind) killing civilians.

http://sn4hr.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1200xNxdeath-toll-en.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GpI1NhvSfc.webp

The regime + russians are responsible for over 95% of civilian deaths but it's the so called terrorists who are killing civilians. Alright.
Original post by Napp
No, apparently thats you unless you're so oblivious to events you've never seen, nor heard, of one being used? Especially as i literally just gave you a video of one being used. Are you intentionally being dishonest in your "arguments" or are you just being lazy/not knowing what you're attempting to argue?

I'm going to make this easy for you.

The use of an SVBIED / VBIED is fair game against enemy combatants.

It is not however fair game against civilians.

Likewise, the use of airstrikes is fair game against combatants.

Are we clear here? I have not argued that the rebels don't use SVBIEDs / VBIEDs. My argument is that they target regime forces and NOT civilians.
Reply 34
I'm going to make this easy for you.

The use of an SVBIED / VBIED is fair game against enemy combatants.

Likewise, the use of airstrikes is fair game against combatants.

Are we clear here? I have not argued that the rebels don't use SVBIEDs / VBIEDs. My argument is that they target regime forces and NOT civilians.

Again, are you being intentionally dishonest or you just ignorant as to whom is using these weapons? Never mind whom they target. I mean anyone with even the most basic of access to the internet knows you’re already a liar... 😂
Reply 35
http://sn4hr.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1200xNxdeath-toll-en.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GpI1NhvSfc.webp

The regime + russians are responsible for over 95% of civilian deaths but it's the so called terrorists who are killing civilians. Alright.

Of course sunshine, the terrorists in Syria aren’t killing a single person 😂
Original post by Wooord
Im sure you already knew that I am

i very much doubt you are what you claim you are, but I am ready for you to change my mind. Will not be holding my breath for a reply.

The people in Syira are suffering not from barrel bombs or airstrikes but from a war imposed on them by foreign powers and terrorists. Your gripe should not be with the airstrikes or the barrel bombs but the foreign powers backing this war and the terrorist groups fighting it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Of course sunshine, the terrorists in Syria aren’t killing a single person 😂

I provide you with actual statistics and this is your response.

Laughable. All assadists are brain-dead.
Original post by Napp
Again, are you being intentionally dishonest or you just ignorant as to whom is using these weapons? Never mind whom they target. I mean anyone with even the most basic of access to the internet knows you’re already a liar... 😂

Again, I'm going to make this incredibly easy for you.

Is the use of a truck bomb against soldiers fair game? Yes or no?
Reply 39
I provide you with actual statistics and this is your response.

Laughable.

You provided nothing. One link does not proof make kiddo.
I mean, aside from admitting you agree with AQ et al. In idlib...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending