The Student Room Group

Human rights / humanitarian work

I am interested in humanitarian work aspects like working in an NGO, international aid etc however my first degree that I finish next year is in English & Classical studies and even though I am aware there are different humanitarian masters , I am rather skeptical of the work of the UN and I don’t like how a lot of the master courses and organisations themselves are run like a business and mix politics and law which I believe to be , ironically, affecting human rights themselves . I’m just interested in working with a very informal group of people who are willing to be open minded and not bother with things like politics etc and if we do look at politics then it would be to raise awareness of its corruptness and not engage in it ourselves

I was wondering what your advice would be to me . Are there any courses you know of or other things I could do? Perhaps I shouldn’t even work there but just become a volunteer and look for work somewhere else?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by _np02_
I am interested in humanitarian work aspects like working in an NGO, international aid etc however my first degree that I finish next year is in English & Classical studies and even though I am aware there are different humanitarian masters , I am rather skeptical of the work of the UN and I don’t like how a lot of the master courses and organisations themselves are run like a business and mix politics and law which I believe to be , ironically, affecting human rights themselves . I’m just interested in working with a very informal group of people who are willing to be open minded and not bother with things like politics etc and if we do look at politics then it would be to raise awareness of its corruptness and not engage in it ourselves

I was wondering what your advice would be to me . Are there any courses you know of or other things I could do? Perhaps I shouldn’t even work there but just become a volunteer and look for work somewhere else?

Volunteer with something substantial (ie overseas, humanitarian/societal issue), realise why the business approach and politics have to happen, and then review whether this is the sector for you or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending