Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ultimate EPQ thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    61.09%
    not helpful
    38.91%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who done the EPQ and gotten an A* what did u include in you project, including the researching and developing stages?
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

In the summer I'm going on a school trip to a small town in Tanzania for a month to help renovate some classrooms in a school, teach a few lessons and also get an insight into their way of life/culture etc.

I'm thinking I'd like to do an EPQ on something to do with Tanzanian/African economics and development.

I'm thinking perhaps a comparison between the economies, or maybe a comparison between our education systems, but to be honest would like to do something a little more outside the box.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what kind of investigation I could do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so i'm currently doing the AQA EPQ and i have decided that ill be comparing medical treatments and talking treats in which i could bring in psychological explanation aswell

i am wondering if this will be a right choice for me and if yes then how can i start my research and what can i use first? i would appreciate any help or opnnions, it will be very useful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm considering doing Business and/or Geography at Uni, so I'm going to base my EPQ on this, I just can't think of any topic for it, any ideas? I kind of want to link the two together, but if not I'll focus on business
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble thinking of a question or title for my extended project.
    I know that I want to do something unlike my AS levels. I have a particular interest in computing.
    I am able to build a computer, and create a website using most most languages. Though, my skills are weak when it comes to creating programs (C++ etc), so I wouldn't be able to do anything of this sort.
    Does anyone have any ideas to do with computing that I could use?
    Oh and AQA give you the option of 5000 words, or 1000 words with a project. I'd much prefer to do a project though.

Thanks very much for any help!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Computing is something that would be inadvisable for an extended project especially if you can't program, anything to do with computing is going to require learning a skill which ordinarily would lead to its own qualification not to mention the costs if you're going to do a project.

That said I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to do something on the arduino platform or similar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering what paperwork actually needs to be handed in for the deadline? Im guessing the completed project log but what else???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you find when you are filling in the production log you tend to talk complete rubbish and often repeat yourself. I think I have masters one skill, and that's writing the same thing in 4 different ways so I fill the page up!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Guys, do you find when you are filling in the production log you tend to talk complete rubbish and often repeat yourself. I think I have masters one skill, and that's writing the same thing in 4 different ways so I fill the page up!
    Yeah I did, one of my friends said I also talked to much about content than like the independent skills. But I have handed it so can't do anymore. I used this to help me give me an idea of what to write - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA...B-SAMPLE36.PDF
    Since the advice from my tutor was pretty basic and not very helpful.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi , i was wondering is it possible to do 2 extended projects during the sixth form? And if yes will it give me any advantage ? Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am going to be doing my EPQ soon and I want to do Optometry at Uni, and intend to apply for it next year.

I want to do my EPQ on something related to eyes/optometry always. But I have a great interest for the Israel-Palestine conflict, has anyone got any ideas on how I can incorporate the 2 together?

Thank you, and please do reply if you have any ideas or suggestions for me.

It doesn't necessarily have to be related to Optometry, maybe the eyes, or something health-care related I guess...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBlueskys)
    Yeah I did, one of my friends said I also talked to much about content than like the independent skills. But I have handed it so can't do anymore. I used this to help me give me an idea of what to write - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA...B-SAMPLE36.PDF
    Since the advice from my tutor was pretty basic and not very helpful.
    the epq does get a bit tedious at times. I enjoyed writing the essay, but just hate the production log. what grade did the student doing the epq you attached get? Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    the epq does get a bit tedious at times. I enjoyed writing the essay, but just hate the production log. what grade did the student doing the epq you attached get? Thanks
    Yeah I really enjoyed writing the essay as it was about the subject I am most passionate about so was like a relief from college work. I think it says he got an A.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can we include epq meetings in our bacc diary?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing an EPQ but I have stalled on ideas for a title.
    I was thinking of doing it on airports/travel but cannot think of a direct line to go down,

Any ideas would be appreciated
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just do what you're most interested, all that matters at the end of the day is the grade and you're most likely to get a good grade if you do what you're interested.

You don't need to link the two
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

In the summer I'm going on a school trip to a small town in Tanzania for a month to help renovate some classrooms in a school, teach a few lessons and also get an insight into their way of life/culture etc.

I'm thinking I'd like to do an EPQ on something to do with Tanzanian/African economics and development.

I'm thinking perhaps a comparison between the economies, or maybe a comparison between our education systems, but to be honest would like to do something a little more outside the box.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what kind of investigation I could do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully will be doing an EPQ, but have to apply as its over-subscribed at my school.
    In the application you have to propose an essay title, and I am really stuck for ideas.
    Im going to do history at Uni, so I think it should be on a historical topic.
    Obviously, I dont want to do WW1, WW2, Russia (Cold War and Revolution) as they are all on my school syllabus, and would like to do something "unique" but researchable.
    Anyone got any interesting historical topics to suggest? Thanks in advance!
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    The 'short' life of Napoleon - A Biography
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it on the creation/evolution controversy, its too hard to answer so i lost a grade and got a B.

Do it on something you are actually interested in though because you have to stick it out for a whole year completely independently and need the motivation.

it doesn't even have to be related to your subjects, the only thing epq is useful for is to say that you can work independently etc. in your personal statement.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2014
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.