The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

GGecko
Quick but important query: Does the EPQ report have to be 5000, or what is the absolute minimum?

Cheers

I think it has to be 5,000 words with a 10% lee-way on either side. But 5,000 words isn't as hard to write as you'd think. I found it hard to cut it down to 5,000
fredster2004
I'm really stuck deciding what to do for my EP. I want to study maths at university so I think I should do something related to maths.

My current idea is how to model a cricket ball using maths but I don't think it will fill up a week of my time and give 2000-3000 words. It will also get very complicated quite quickly taking into account air resistance etc.

I'd rather do an investigation because I don't really like researching things and then writing long essays.

Thanks in advance for helping.

I'm doing EP too (Y).
So are you thinking of carrying out an investigation instead?
Well I'd like to do one - I just can't think of anything!
I'm doing two extended projects (Engineering and geography) For engineering I'm doing one on sound, (why a woman's voice is higher than a man's) it would appear both men and women give the same frequency range of sound, just at different amplitudes.... And for geography it will probably be something along the lines of demographics of AIDS.

2-3k isn't a lot of work to be honest, iv'e done 15,000 word essays (40 pages) So don't be daunted and I hope you do well :smile:
Climate Change :smile:

There is just so much information you just cannot go wrong.
Reply 585
i'm in year 12 and am thinking of doing the extended project qualification.
i would like to go into medicine in the future and i would like some ideas on how i could link this project to medicine??? any ideas???
thank you
Yeah, i want to go into medicine too and we're going this EPQ. Really struggling for topic ideas though. not sure whether to do like, a dissertation type question, or maybe somethingcreative basd on medicine, like a story about someonje with cancer and the effect it has on people yano. you had any luck thinking of topics? :confused:
tomdwbaxter
Yeah, i want to go into medicine too and we're going this EPQ. Really struggling for topic ideas though. not sure whether to do like, a dissertation type question, or maybe somethingcreative basd on medicine, like a story about someonje with cancer and the effect it has on people yano. you had any luck thinking of topics? :confused:

I read in the paper the other day that researchers have found evidence to suggest Darwin's theory of evolution is not entirely correct, and that our environment can affect our genes for generations to come (basically, if I eat a tonne of fatty foods, but am healthy during pregnancy and raise my kids healthily, my grandkids will still die a few years younger thanks to me :P) That's quite topical and will probably have an impact on medicine if it comes to be widely accepted- you could try looking into that?
Reply 588
DONT DO THE EPQ!!

worst mistake I've made this year..
Reply 589
I still want to drop mine but I'm on nearly 3,300 words not including my bibliography or footnotes or title so I could probably do another 1,500ish and be done, MEH
Reply 590
lekky
DONT DO THE EPQ!!

worst mistake I've made this year..

:rofl: May I ask why before I chose to do it next year?
Reply 591
Narik
:rofl: May I ask why before I chose to do it next year?

What you thought was an interesting topic and you originally enjoyed quickly gets old.

You WILL lose motivation at some point.

It will never be the top of your priorities. Homework, exams revision, coursework, etc, will always be more important.

I really do not think it helped me get into University at all. At none of my interviews was it even mentioned. No offers include it. Pointless.

You won't learn any important skills from it apart from how to blag your way through an extra 200 words or so (eh, I guess that is important). This is especially true if you're already doing essay based subjects.

You actually can only get a maximum of 20/50 marks for your essay. All the rest comes from tedious log keeping/plan making/giving presentations to bored AS students who couldn't care less. Dislike.

Uh. Seriously regret this, as does everyone I know who has chosen to do it. Especially now when you would like to start revising for june, but instead have to finish this bloody essay.
Reply 592
riotgrrl
I read in the paper the other day that researchers have found evidence to suggest Darwin's theory of evolution is not entirely correct, and that our environment can affect our genes for generations to come (basically, if I eat a tonne of fatty foods, but am healthy during pregnancy and raise my kids healthily, my grandkids will still die a few years younger thanks to me :P) That's quite topical and will probably have an impact on medicine if it comes to be widely accepted- you could try looking into that?

maybe a bit too specific? I googled and it seems like its only one research paper.. I have already cited over 8 research papers in my essay...
lekky
maybe a bit too specific? I googled and it seems like its only one research paper.. I have already cited over 8 research papers in my essay...

Well, there's only one piece of research on that specifically, but obviously there's plenty of stuff about Darwin, genes, the environment, etc that they could probably bring in. Someone in my class is doing theirs about rich tea biscuits, so I'm sure you can get away with most things xD

I haven't even started my essay yet- it's not in til October and exams just seem so much more important atm.
Reply 594
riotgrrl
Well, there's only one piece of research on that specifically, but obviously there's plenty of stuff about Darwin, genes, the environment, etc that they could probably bring in. Someone in my class is doing theirs about rich tea biscuits, so I'm sure you can get away with most things xD

I haven't even started my essay yet- it's not in til October and exams just seem so much more important atm.

I have to hand mine in first monday back from easter :nothing:

not..happening... :s-smilie:
lekky
I have to hand mine in first monday back from easter :nothing:

not..happening... :s-smilie:

Good luck! :smile:
I'm debating whether to take it or not. It sounds as if the top universities don't really care that much about it so I'm not sure whether it's really worth it, because I'm taking further maths next year to A2 which looks hard especially as I have to self teach myself some of it. The time commitment looks rather large.
On the other hand, if I was to do it, I sort of know what I'd do it on. I'd love to do it on the economics of happiness (it's very cool =) ) I was thinking of China: Boom or Bust, but I think the word limit would be a problem as the subject is so wide.
I did my presentation on Monday and I think it went really well, so I'm really happy it's almost done! Must all be done by Easter for my school so thank god for that. Also with regards to uni offers, additional stress etc...it's good for nothing if not a bit of time management, and I think whilst it isn't included in uni offers, it got me interviews and helped with getting some of my places. :smile:
I have my presentation in 15 minutes. Wish me luck!
Reply 599
I am a yr12 student and I am thinking about doing the EPQ(extended project qualification) in yr13.
If you’ve done this before what are your experiences and how easy/hard was it?

I am doing the following subjects: chemistry, physics, further maths and accountancy

And I enjoy sports, mostly Football and Cricket.

Can you help me on any ideas or titles that I can do for my EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending