The Student Room Group

Should I work and study at the same time?

I work in a logistics company for 2 months and I graduated from international trade,but I can't take my diploma since I haven't completed my payment yet.I'm not so good at math and physics,but I want to learn more about it.Because leaving job may not be a good choice,should I registrate for Open University's Bachelor in Mathematics and Physics after having enough money for it ? Or should I see a career advisor and ask her/him what to do about career change?I don't know whether changing pathway can bring loss.I'm so confused.
Hi there @busranur--96

If you are unsure of what career path to take, chatting to a careers advisor before deciding to leave your work would be a good start. It will give you good unbiased advice about your options for returning to academia and you can then make an informed decision.

As to working and studying, I worked whilst studying my Access to HE course and also throughout my Undergraduate and Masters, so it can be done and you can get a good grade, it just takes discipline and good organisational skills.

What are you thinking of changing career to?

Fi :horse:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello,thank you for your answer.I may not leave my job because I don't know what future takes.However,I may think about working while studying,thank you for your advice!
I'm thinking that I will change my career from logistics operation assistant from theoritical physicist🤭
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there @busranur--96

If you are unsure of what career path to take, chatting to a careers advisor before deciding to leave your work would be a good start. It will give you good unbiased advice about your options for returning to academia and you can then make an informed decision.

As to working and studying, I worked whilst studying my Access to HE course and also throughout my Undergraduate and Masters, so it can be done and you can get a good grade, it just takes discipline and good organisational skills.

What are you thinking of changing career to?

Original post by busranur--96
Hello,thank you for your answer.I may not leave my job because I don't know what future takes.However,I may think about working while studying,thank you for your advice!
I'm thinking that I will change my career from logistics operation assistant from theoritical physicist🤭

Hello :biggrin:,

I understand the tough decision. If you still wish to speak to someone about the choice you could always contact the universities you are looking at studying at (whether that be the Open University or somewhere else). They will also have career advisors there to give advice.

:blow:
Hi there @busranur--96,

You are more than welcome. That's some career change you're thinking of, so personally, I would definitely say talk to a careers advisor who should be able to point you in the right direction for what you need and want from a course to achieve your goals. It's a sensible option to keep working until you know exactly what you're doing careerwise.

Good luck!

But advisors in my country wouldnt help since Open Uni doesnt have credit in Turkey.However,I may think about asking career counsellors.That's a good idea.Can I ask one more question?Does leaving job can make me better organized about physics,or will Open University solve this problem?
Hi there @busranur--96,

You are more than welcome. That's some career change you're thinking of, so personally, I would definitely say talk to a careers advisor who should be able to point you in the right direction for what you need and want from a course to achieve your goals. It's a sensible option to keep working until you know exactly what you're doing careerwise.

Good luck!

Since I cant afford the tuition fee,I can pay for one year in part time by taking break after 1 year.So it will lead me to graduate 12 years only in bachelor😯There is another option.Taking a student loan can be okay but it can cause me to get into too many debts.I think studying and trying to get into best physics universities in my country can be good while working.That would be hard though.However,I should do this.
Hi there!

I would definitely speak to a careers counselor local to you who would be able to advise you on your options with universities and courses. With distance learning of any type I would not advise leaving your job as you would be able to study at your own pace so could keep your employment.

Good luck!

Since I cant afford the tuition fee,I can pay for one year in part time by taking break after 1 year.So it will lead me to graduate 12 years only in bachelor😯There is another option.Taking a student loan can be okay but it can cause me to get into too many debts.I think studying and trying to get into best physics universities in my country can be good while working.That would be hard though.However,I should do this.
Hello!
I will advise a local counselor about career and university.Thank you for helping me out in the process.
Hi there!

I would definitely speak to a careers counselor local to you who would be able to advise you on your options with universities and courses. With distance learning of any type I would not advise leaving your job as you would be able to study at your own pace so could keep your employment.

Good luck!

Glad to hear we have been of help!

Ruth:zorro:
Hello!
I will advise a local counselor about career and university.Thank you for helping me out in the process.
😊Of course You are!
Glad to hear we have been of help!

Ruth:zorro:
😊Of course You are!

If you have any further questions about university or student life, please do let us know :rave:
Thank you very much😊
If you have any further questions about university or student life, please do let us know :rave:
Thank you very much😊

Your Welcome :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending